1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg SVT vs Ampeg..SVP-CL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gord, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hi guys!
    This has been bugging me for a while. I've been eyeing the ampeg SVT in all its tubey glory - but can a sound close to that be remade with the ampeg svp-cl? I mean, not immediatly on its own of course, maybe an overdrive pedal for some grit or something..

Either way, my question is, if I'm looking for that kind of sound and power, would I be better off ditching my svp-cl, or am I going down the right path? If so, what's a good type of power amp that could reproduce the equivelant of the svt? or, better yet, more than that?

With the svp, I like the tuner out, and the ability to upgrade, and the DI, but let me know your opinions!

2. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    I think you need at least 1000 watts to reach the power of a 300 watt tube amp

might be wrong tho

3. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i'd have to say no. i had that preamp and was very disappointed. the bass control is centered at 20Hz which makes a mess of the low end. even with the bass set flat or cut slightly, i couldnt find a sound i liked. i paired it with my DB728 400 watt tube power amps for what should have been the "Super SVT" and it was crummy sounding due to the low end. it was better with my SS power amps, but it was very clean and lacked the character you're probably looking for from an SVT. i'd go with a VR or CL, both of which i've owned, rather than that preamp + poweramp. if you want pre + poweramp, i'd go with an RPM or RBI. i've recently picked up a DB659 as well which has a very cool vibe to it.

JR

4. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hmm, well this is disappointing! haha.

Is there any way to reproduce the massive svt sound through the use of rack equipment? Like I said, tuner out / DI / all that stuff is pretty important to me, and I love the look of a good rack - if what I'm looking for is impossible, I'll just go make the plunge :)

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The SVT-II (non-pro).

6. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    Nothing sounds like all tubes.

Billy-Bob

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I dissagree.
    It's commonly agreed that the SVT-VR sounds very close to a vintage SVT.
    I believe that it is useing the same power amp as the SVT-CL but with the pre-amp of the SVP-CL.
    Jerold has stated before that this was the combination he was pushing for when the SVT-CL first came out.
    This the set-up I use.
    I run a SVPCL into the power section of my SVT-CL.I'm useing a 810e and I love the results.
    It's VERY simular to my old SVT.

8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    2 things:
    The SVP has a very low output voltage. This makes a difference when pairing it with a power amp. For example: when i tried it with my QSC-PLX amp (3000 watts into 4 ohms). it was VERY quiet. I mean...immediately, I knew, something was wrong. I took the SVP pre-amp back and got a Sansamp RBI..problem solved. I am sure that some power amps would work fine with it, but do your homework first!

Secondly (and most importantly),
    A lot of the killer sound of a tube amp comes from the Tube power section of the amp. Especially the Ampeg's "grind tone". This comes from overdriving the power tubes.

Just my 2 bucks worth....:smug:

9. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hmm, thanks so much for all the help guys.

I'm wondering if SVT-II is the direction I should be going in? Is there any huge difference between the older SVTs other than the ability to rackmount it?

10. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I actually had my CL's at the same time as that preamp and tried it into the power section of the CL - I agree, it did sound very good! Just strange that it didn't sound good with the other power amps. The SVPCL is pretty much the same front end as the VR other than the goofy bass control.

JR

11. Wise wise man!

12. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    I'll put my RPM/RBI + DB728 rig up against any SVT, any time, any place! :smug: If you're going the SS power amp route, take these two preamps and hook em up to a CA9. I don't miss my CL's or VR a bit. All the original SVT's I've come across have been pretty beat, but I'm sure the mighty DB728 could hold up to a good one.

JR

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's like masher said, the output of the SVPCL (mostly the early production models) needs a very sensitive power amp- the input sensitivity of a LOT of modern power amps is way off from what the early runs of SVPCL can put out.

14. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    :confused:I find this remark interesting because the SVP CL IS the pre-amp from the SVT CL. So, essentially your running a pre-amp through the power section of the exact same pre?:confused::confused::confused: Doesn't make any sense, just swap the tubes!

15. kvane

kvane

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    I'm using th SVP Pro with a Crest CA6 and I freaking L-O-V-E it!:hyper: I've got that Ampeg tone with the gnarly SVT growl if I want it. Nice and perfectly quiet with a Rocktron Hush. I'd recommend the PRO over the CL personally, more eq and "gain" control. It actually produces gain, how 'bout that..:)

16. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    i had a later model and it had plenty of output so that wasn't the issue. the EQ just didn't work for me. my db728's and Power 750's are designed for bass, and they don't have any issues with input sensitivity like some PA power amps do.

JR

17. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    The SVP-CL can make a clean, vintage, warm tone. It doesn't do grit. Especially if you are going to use a precision, or maybe flats, and especially with the low cut filter you will be able to cop a convincing old-school tone.

My experience is based on use with the PLX2 1804.

18. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    I'm not sure about that - I don't think that it is.....

19. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Think again............

That is EXACTLY what it is. The SVT preamp.

Many folks are confused by the STUPID name of it.... "SVP-CL". Right away it makes you think... "great, they put the modified and not quite "on" preamp of the CL by itself". But in fact, it isn't the CL pre, but the regular SVT pre. (one channel)

20. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Don't think that I do Jerrold....

You just confirmed exactly what I was trying to say SVP-CL is not the preamp of the SVT-CL......