Ampeg V4B Grill Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bmdfla48, Mar 27, 2017.

1. I recently bought a new grill from Fliptops to replace the grimy old one that's on my 70's V4B and match the one I got for my SVT cab. Problem is, I have no idea how to get the old grill off. I thought maybe I could unscrew one of the faceplate screws and pull it off like the cab grill, but it seems like the amp grill is bolted/screwed in instead of velcro'd like the cab. I saw someone on another site saying that you can unscrew the side screws on either side of the amp and pull out the chassis (which I tried and failed to do), so now I'm at a loss for how to get this new grill on. BTW it is a completely new piece, not just the grill cloth, in case that matters.

Does anyone know how to get to the old grill without completely dismantling the amp?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Remove the four side screws. The amp will slide out the back. Lift the rear chassis while pushing on the front control panel. If the rear wood panel is in place sometimes it can bind against the cabinet. If so, remove it first.This can be easier if you do it on the floor or a good sized work bench.

Once the chassis is removed, you will see how to remove the front panel, there are side screws and one at the middle bottom.

The grille cloth is stapled on, a paper staple remover amd small sized pliers will help. Clean up the frame, it can get grungy. It'd a good idea to glue on a piece of black fabric store felt (it's about 1/16" thick) onto the front of the frame. Then use a razorto trim all the edges and where there is an opening. Then cover it with the felt. The felt adds some padding under the cloth and makes it look better.

When putting on the grille cloth, you want even tension so that it isn't wavy. People have different techniques for doing this. Like to carefully align the lines of the cloth so that they are parallel to the top and bottom of the frame edges, then clamp the frame and cloth down. This locks it in place. Then you can fold the cloth over and staple it in place, one edge at a time. You need to use a hardware store stapler, not one used for stationary.

When applying the grille cloth, if it doesn't work the first time, don't worry. Remove it and restaple it. Not a big deal.

When done, if you want to tighten up the cloth, you can shrink it with heat. The heat needs to be applied evenly, otherwise you can get wavey lines in the cloth. I like to heat the oven, open the door and hold the frame in the front, not in the oven, and let the blast of hot air hit the frame evenly. Keep an eye on it and move it back and forth in front of the oven to regulate the temperature. Repeat the process if one shot isn't enough. Some do this with a hair dryer but the heat will not be evenly applies over the heat entire cloth. Be careful though, too much heat can melt the cloth. Do not use a paint stripping gun.

coreyfyfe likes this.
  3. Thanks for the advice! I was having a little trouble getting the chassis past the rear wood panel, so I freaked and just reassembled it. I think I was unclear in my original post. I didn't buy new grille cloth, I got a pre-assembled completed grille from Fliptops (see below). The piece currently in/on the amp seems pretty secure, so I'm not sure how to remove it, but I guess I will see once i get inside.

GRILLSVTHEAD.jpg

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It's a lot easier to buy it premade as you did. Just give the chassis a bit of persuasion and remove the back panel if necessary.

5. Do what Beans says. Leave the back panel on the chassis when you slide it out. This keeps the side mounting plates from flopping around and makes the whole process more stable.

6. SPK1439

SPK1439

Sep 25, 2018
    Sorry it's not clear if you removed the rear wood panel. if you did not already do it, you have to remove the wood panel at the back of the amp - it is there to protect the tubes. There is a notice on the back of the amp chassis that says "To service tubes, remove 4 screws to remove back panel" or something like that.

re: 1970s Ampeg blue / silver grill cloth - I just got a voice message from Ampeg in response to my inquiry - "Jared" from Ampeg said that when we (Yamaha) bought Ampeg, the company that had been making the blue / silver 1970's grill cloth stopped making it. However Yamaha is in the process of getting a new supplier on line, and the cloth should be available again in 3 to 6 months" The part number will be 26-101-01 and called AMPEG '70s GRILL CLOTH (duh).

CTBassGuy, JimmyM and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. Domlamp

Domlamp

May 21, 2021
    Hi! I know it's a bit late for a reply, but do you know if Yamaha have that kind of grill cloth? I'm in need for 2 SVT 8x10. Thanks to let me know!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021