Ampeg v4b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by codiak, Jul 7, 2019.

1. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So I today I got a Fender deluxe active P bass and I put my ocean turquoise P up for sale on CL and the FB marketplace. Someone messaged me asking if I’d trade for an Ampeg V4B tube head since they’ve got 3 of them and sent me this picture.

92FB2404-7FA7-4ADA-939B-C41DB4F691F0.jpeg

I don’t know much about these other than they’re a smaller version of an SVT. But when I google it I see that they sell for quite a bit more than what my bass is listed as ($400).

My question is, is this a legit trade or am I going to get scammed on this? Are there specific things I should look for on these? Any help is appreciated.

SlimBaixo likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If it works, you're not going to get scammed. Current rate on one in VG condition hovers right around the $650-700 mark these days.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. And, on my view, it is NOT a "mini SVT". It does it's own thing..... which is also glorious, but different from the SVT.

GREAT amps.... assuming it's in great working condition.

4. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    He just messaged me saying the bottom one is not for sale, the middle one needs a new volume pot for channel 2 but otherwise works fine (which he says would be an even trade) and the red one is 100% functional but he would some cash on top of the bass.

My question now is, since I have a PF500 and a 115HE, can I just run the V4 into my 115HE without issue? Obviously the 115 can handle the power, but should I look into another cab or something for it?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You are fine with the PF115he, although the head will overhang off the sides a bit.

High Camp likes this.
  6. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I figured I would just have the PF500 mounted on the underside and set the V4 on top of the handle. Crazy easy swapping if I ever needed a spare. Flip the lid and plug in.

JC Nelson likes this.
  7. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    On the other hand, how hard is it to replace a volume pot in an amp?

Artman likes this.
  8. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    If you are mechanical, it’s a breeze

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I would first find out what maintenance has been performed on the top two amps. Ask if the tubes are original or if they have been changed and when. Ask if the amps has been recapped or are original.

Changing a volume pot, as an example, on a vintage V4B can be a lot of work. You have to remove a set of pots mounted on the front panel on a PCB, replace the volume pot which solders directly onto the PCB, reinstall the assembly. The PCB is tight and there is the possibility of wires breaking when you move it around. The wires would then have to be replaced.

Which brings me to my point. A vintage V4B can be a lot of work to get it performing up to spec. A number of parts may need to be changed, new tubes included. This can run into the hundreds of dollars just for the parts. You might be opening a large can of worms.

Unless you can perform all the work by yourself, I feel that it would be better to get cash for your bass.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Bass 45, digmeout, Ampslut and 8 others like this.
  10. All 3 of the amps in the picture are the early 70's version based on the knobs. I own one and the tone is exquisite. 2 Fingers is right, they're not mini-SVT's. They do their own thing and I honestly prefer mine over my SVT.

I had mine gone through by a tech after I got it and made sure everything was good to go. Their labor is not cheap, but it's well worth it if you get into it for the right price. I had several caps replaced, the impedance selector cleaned and the midrange pot repaired. Ended up costine around $180.

I would easily make the trade if I were in your shoes. Just keep in mind that tube amps will need maintenance over time. That said the tone they throw is easily worth it

Artman likes this.
  11. The seller knows their stuff. From the looks of the flat toggle switches on the bottom amp, it's Linden-era.

If the V4B hanging over the edges of your cabinet bothers you, check this out:

Ampeg cabinets that fit under the original V4B head

FYI, this would alter the cabinet volume and thus the tuning but prolly not by much.

12. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I follow that guy who owns those amps on Instagram and he seems to be really knowledgeable concerning those amps. It also looks like he takes good care of his gear so take that for what it is worth.

Novarocker likes this.
  13. yaryaryaryar

yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    I can't say this any better than this, but I just wanted to second it. Changing a volume pot on most amps is a breeze; changing a volume pot on a V4B is a giant pain in the ass. I've done it. If you're taking it to a shop for the work, don't be surprised if it costs upwards of $100 (around me, it's pretty standard for shops to have a $75 bench fee just to look at the amp).

That being said, I still think it's totally worth the trade. Even if you don't fix channel 2, channel 1 still works fine (so he says). How often do you need both? As long as channel 2 isn't stuck at 11 and introducing some hum or something, the only downside is that it hurts the resale value a bit.

14. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    those are V4s not V4Bs. i have one just like those. Look like they are early 70's. I love mine, and play it with a late 70's SVT cabinet.
    ampeg rig.jpg

15. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    I love my V4B and it served me well. It's at a hobbyist buddy's for repair right now though. Looking forward to getting it back even though I never gig any more.

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Then good chance maintenance has been performed. A positive thing.

17. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So I’m not that well versed in amps. I’ve only ever used solid state amps, just plug in and play. What is the use of having 2 channels and would I even need a second channel?

I don’t gig or anything, I just jam with friends or play on my living room. I don’t have a crazy setup, just a couple pedals.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    2 channels can be fun. You can use two instruments and keep each plugged in, or jump the channels and blend the signals, or do a clean/dirty blend with effects. They don't do it anymore on the V4B because the second channel drives up the price, and I really don't need it, but it can be fun.

Wisebass likes this.
  19. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That makes sense. Thanks.

JimmyM likes this.
  20. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm sure the tone of the 70's models are awesome, but I love the newer Reissue because it's 40 lbs instead of 70. If weight is not an issue, I say go for it.

Wisebass and JimmyM like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021