Amps you hate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    So I feel like a lot of people on here toat their own gear beyond what's reasonable, I know everyone has a sound they are going for but what I really want to know is, what amps do you hate?
    I'm not trying to knock anyone, most of it's "you say tamato I say Tamaato"

don't put crate, peavey, or whatever low end gear.
    So, what big hitters strike out with you?

here's mine.
    1. all SWR's (treble, slap, funk, not my bag baby)
    2. Trace Elliot (unnatural tone, to much low end)
    3. Carvin (mud)

speaker cabs,
    1. avatar (i hate to say it but i was horribly dissapointed with mine, low end was weak, tone was sterile)

I play on
    Gk 1001rb
    Ampeg 8x10
    Sansamp Di
  2. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Anything peavy(I just hate the sound) and SWR cabs (to sterile and thin)
  3. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I had an Ampeg stack that was terrible; it was very expensive, had a weak bottom, and lacked punch and power. It was also very heavy.
    I could give a long list of speakers that have been disappointing; I love my Genz-Benz NEOX212, though getting a second one has been a problem---I'm not sure if my local dealer or Genz-Benz is at fault.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anything with a volume AND a gain!! Ugh!
  5. SWR- I turn everything up & still can't hear myself (750+Goliath Sr). I am an obnoxious slapper, but I tend to boost mids... there's something wrong w/me, I know. I also strongly dislike my Kickback 12 (admittedly midrange price-wise); good for developing forearm strength, useless as a bass amp.
  6. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yea I've had problems getting loud with SWR stuff. They're probably rating their amps really generously because the volume just isn't there even with their most pwerful amps. They do sound nice. I don't have much of a problem with the amps but as I stated before I'm not a big fan of their cabs.
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Try running your SWR amps with the "enhance" all the way off and some boost in the low mids ... that enhance control is what sucks the headroom out, since it boosts the extreme lows too much.

I too hate the SWR SM-400S, but since it so often *almost* sounds good, and is just so slightly underpowered with most speaker setups. If it just had 15% more headroom and had a little warmer/thicker tone it would be a winner.

And they keep showing up in my life ... I've owned one, and played on 2 different borrowed ones.

They do sound good bridged into an SVT cabinet by the way.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I tried a Orange combo that didn't suit my fancy, but I imagine with a little tweaking it could be a good bedroom amp.

I also have disliked the Eden gear I have tried.
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The most terrible amp I ever played through was made by Hughes & Kettner.
    Except the very low-end amp I had when I was a teenager, the H&K was the only real bad bass amp I've seen.
  10. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Whats not to like about warm, smooth, bassy goodness? :D
  11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Aguilar 112, 212, and 412.
    Newer Ampeg cabs.
    99% of Hartke cabs.
    GK Backline.
  12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Aguilar DB 680
    Raven Labs PHA
    Eden Navigator
    Aguilar DB 359
    Older Aguilar 10's and 115 cabs (Haven't played the newer rearported ones)
    Anything that says Epifani
    EA iAmp
    EA CXL 112 (both old and new)
    Avalon U5
    Radial JDI

Best bang for the buck? Genz Benz anything hands down!
    Runner up? Probably Avatar.

I just couldn't live with all that negativity. :crying: :smug:
  13. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've never even used that control. I always avoid the enhancer and octiave effects and they still never produce the volume I expect.

the 2x12 is one of my favorite cabs
  14. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    To each his own. ;)
  15. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yep, I got to play one over the weekend and loved the punch. Unfortunatly I don't have the money and am also trying to downsize my rig and the 2x12 is just as big as my current 4x10 so I'm eagerly looking forward to playing a GS 1x12 this weekend.
  16. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I don't know that I would classify the GS-_12 series as "punchy." I'd go more with scooped but again, that's the beauty of subjectivity.

To each his own or YMMV... Whichever you'd prefer. ;)
  17. I hate any amp i can't afford.

Dammit. :spit:
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Not overly a fan of ampeg cabs. I quite like their amps though.

Just thought I might say something positive instead of ONLY insulting someone elses taste in amps...
  19. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    For about a year my only source of amplification came from my 20w Rogue. That thing sucked. I'm not a big fan of Crate or Hartke either, but like Big Joe said, to each his own.