Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

An MTD Question???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so, i'm all set to go with an MTD, but arent sure of what fingerboard / neck wood i should go with.

i know the body is gonna be ash, but i'm torn if i should go with a rosewood fingerboard / maple neck, or wenge / wenge combo?

anyone play both, which did you prefer? i want lots of body and fatness, and yet with an articulate top end for chordal work.

what say y'all?!

2. Jokerjkny

Sorry can't help you with your fingerboard question as I have not tried the combinations you mention, but an MTD is a wonderful instrument so you are very lucky.

Keep us all informed of progress and of course pictures!

Regards

Matthew

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Of all the mtd's I've played/owned, I've personally preferred the avidore body with maple / rosewood the most. Plenty of clarity but with a really warm low end.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I really dig the ash/maple neck combination, but it may be a bit aggressive for what you're looking for! ;)

Probably a maple/rosewood combo, and an ash or avidore body either with or without a top (I actually really like the ash bodies WITHOUT a top myself, nice punch and growl).

The wenge/wenge is very mid-heavy, and may not have the clarity you're looking for, although for some tones it is very cool.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

so Gard, lemme get this straight, would the rosewood/maple combo have more clarity than the wenge/wenge?

6. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2005
    I smiled when I read your post. I would have loved to have traded my 535 for your beautiful Sadowsky :)

I owned a maple/rosewood 435 with an ash body without a top and I still own a 535 wenge/wenge with a korina body and myrtle burl top. I talked with Mike Tobias about the selection of woods for the 535 and, at that time, he felt that the top made only a slight difference in tone and was mostly cosmetic. This was a while back and I note that he is making a lot of instruments with exotic tops now.

The main difference between by 435 and 535 was that the 435 had a more "traditional" tone while the 535 is extremely aggressive with a "growl" that the 435 didn't have. Personally I felt that 435 had somewhat less clarity but that depends on what you hear as clarity in a tone. What I mean by clarity is the ability to cut through in a band situation which some people interpret as uneveness.

It is worth bearing in mind that the Bartolini pickups are fantastic and the electronics are very flexible so you can really tweak the tone you want.

Even though my 535 has not turned out to be a perfect match for me, it is a very wonderful bass. I am sure you will be happy whatever combination of woods you choose.

Best wishes

Philip

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think my next bass is going to have to be a 535.

8. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I found a nice left handed mtd 535 somewhere and it is going to be mine... maple neck, wenge board, ash body... mmmmmmm MTD :drools:

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    J - In my opinion based on playing a few 535's through the years ;), yes, the maple/rosewood will be a bit clearer sounding than the wenge/wenge. I find that the wenge/wenge is a good PUNCHY sound, but not as defined as the maple.

I still prefer the ash/maple to them all so far...however, that may be TOO MUCH clarity for you.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    +1

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    He'd know...

;)

...hiya Mr. Dimin!

:hyper:

(...hey, you hear about my new gig?? :cool: )

12. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Sorry I don't have any experience with the maple / rosewood or wenge / wenge but in my search for an articulate, chordal MTD, I came across a maple / ebony 635. I asked Mike and he said it should do the trick.

Once I got it home and tried it out, damn if the notes didn't come out of the amp before I played them. :p Every note is distinctive. I'd really like to compare my 635 to other MTD's but for right now, it's meeting my needs.

I was curious why you don't see ebony fingerboards on a lot of MTD's so I asked Mike. I didn't know if he didn't like ebony. He said that after using it for a while, he became allergic to it. He's good with it now and using it again.

LeonD

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Do tell

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Here ya go!

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I can give this comparison. A week or so ago I had a Myrtle top on poplar/tulip with wenge neck and board come in on trade. It was just before the Dallas Guitar show. A buddy of mine in Dallas had a redwood top on Avidore body, wenge neck and board, and was planning to trade when I got down there. When he showed up with a couple other Dallas players there was no question that the Tulip/poplar body was much clear and punchier.... he ended up find something else in the Booth that rocked his socks, but between the two MTD basses with same neck and different body woods the Tulip wood body was hands down by everyone around better sounding.

best with the wood choice..

16. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    My advice would be to ask Glenn Kawamoto at Austin bass traders. I have played several of his MTD's and he really knows what he is talking about. He could probably give you a good suggestion or may even have something in stock your looking for. He has a 535 solid ash body, ash neck, lined fretless honduran rosewood board. And that thing sounds extremely growly and great.
    -Greg

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Rudy's has the "sister" bass to mine - although it's a 6, it will give you a good feel. Ash body (Rose of the Mountain Top), Ash neck and maple board

Mike

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Wenge! I played an ash, maple top, wenge board combo and it ruled

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    My 4 string is an Ash body (with exotic top) with a maple/rosewood board. My 535 is an Ash Body (with exotic top) with an ash/maple board. My old fretless was ash bosy with wenge/wenge. If you want to make the 3 hour drive north, you are more than welcome to spend a few hours with my 4 and 5.

The maple/rosewood is decidely warmer than the ash/maple. The ash/maple is unbleivealby responsive and can take on maj=ny different characters depending on how aggressive you play and how you set the EQ. I love tghe ash/maple, especially for what I do. Perhaps the maple/rosewood is more versatile, but for chording/chord-melody and solo playing NOTHING beats the ash/maple combo

Mike

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

Congratulations and good luck. What will Gasshopper do without you to watch over him

'Mike