1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

An observation and plea.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flojob, Dec 3, 2017.

1. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    There are 2 kinds of people in this world.
    Those that put TLDR BEFORE their way-too-long rambling, and the ones who put it AFTER.
    Some of y'all folks are like me, which I mean to say that your writing ain't so hot. You know who you are.
    You and me need to do the right thing and start putting them TLDR's at the top. Save the rest of us some time.
    It's kind of my fault for reading, though. As soon as I see who's writing that long-winded reply, I ought to just skip to the end, cause I know damn well your answer is gonna be "P bass with flats" no matter what the question was.

Also there's a 3rd type of person. Folks that have the patience to dig through emojis to find the appropriate one. I think it's easier just to write the description. Smiley-wink.

Oh, and maybe a 4th kind that just judges everyone. I haven't decided. Smiley-thumbs up.

Stumbo likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    TLDR

3. Type number 5.
    Wonders why one would "put TLDR before their" own post, aka "way-too-long rambling".
    Are you saying the post that you wrote was way too long to read, or you didn't bother to read your own post?
    If your own ramblings are way to long for you to read, aren't they even wayer-tooer-longerer to write? Cross-eyed, tongue sticking out, goofy grin.

flojob likes this.
  4. "I didn't read any of the first 9 pages of the thread, but here are my 2 cents."

then they go on to repeat what 40 others have already posted

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
  6. TLDLAATP

flojob and OldDog52 like this.
  7. This is why I don't participate in threads that are already nine pages long. I'm not gonna read nine pages, and neither is anyone else, let alone my redundant post.

flojob and OldDog52 like this.
  8. flojob

flojob Gold Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2011
    You all have valid points.

TLDR: p bass with flats

9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Along similar lines, my internet forum pet peeve is this:

If you're going to start a thread titled (for example) "What's The Best 5-String Bass For Metal?" and then somewhere in your OP you include the caveat "btw, my max budget is $400" ...do us all a favor and title the thread "What's The Best <$400 5-String Bass For Metal?"

flojob, Aberdumbie and Stumbo like this.
  10. If it's too long a post to reread for clarity and corrections it's too long to post.

-Signature

flojob likes this.
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is especially useful when the OP added information on page 7 that completely changes the situation.

Back on the old TB platform each thread could only have about a thousand posts, then you had to launch a new one. Now we have expanded capabilities and that's no longer necessary, but threads like that make me wish we still would close long threads and open new chapters.

flojob likes this.
  12. I do not understand TLDR. This is a forum where we communicate by words, reading is all we do. Except for some pictures of basses and other gear and the occasional cat popping up here and there we are here to read.

How is something too long to read yet we spend hours reading a bunch of small post?

Do not fear the paragraph.

Please make your long post into paragraphs and not one long jdhslklgsjgbkdbpioutdrsfjbmk;odfkldsknehfjenognesburnfksunfkjebsuzbfkjskefubeskjbfiukrneiruafiebsrkneusbknoaerhuofnkauhriekbjnfouesbkfjsfuoegubkfjneogubfjenofubsjnfoebfoesnfetouerhowinouteheugbosetousenofhoseioehistocosaregoodbutburritosarebetterjfkdjgksjgkjfskufongljbng.

flojob and Aberdumbie like this.
  13. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    Fixed it for you - See highlighted portion of quote :)

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT61HbsSZt9oIDLYsAiIP9j_IeFjXLl4JrxTl6wIRr4DSPOBnVS. Squirrel. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVbvuvh7XDqHLKrnwZNQOxtnA9ryuAc9fokDepqfCsuIJ-05X8Eg. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyDgk943585mpT4ndxGs5sxygaa_aR36aalsBCEpe95XbbpUpW.

1e012eb91461343e8866a12862ef7181.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  15. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    I’m sorry. I grew up in the age before internet acronyms. I was only taught the Kings English. While I have absorbed the meaning of the commonly used ones.. What’s TLDR?

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I am an exceptionally writer. My rambling make senselessness, and the sheer voliminousness of my wordies make the experience worth experiencing worth the experience. Why should I number in the thousands of paragraphishness? When I can use fragments. No! I say. No! I shall cringe at the syringe of my fringe, and adopt several kittens throughout the gist of the article. What say you?

17. Too long, didn't read (version for those who don't want to read a book about something trivial ). In pre internet, if not King's English, this was called the Cook's Version.

TOOL460002 and Aberdumbie like this.
  18. Cross-pollenation from "me learning something new today." Fantastic! Knowledge is power.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  19. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    I'd been wondering what TL;DR meant. I just assumed it was something in the coding that my dinosaur computer couldn't comprehend.

20. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Beat me to it. :D