1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

analog tape

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jimmyjames, May 18, 2011.

1. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    So I heard that there was a time that everything was recorded on that tape stuff because they didn't have digital. There must not have been much music back then, seeing as it was so hard to do. I also heard that pictures weren't digital either, and they used something that was kind if like tape, but had to be sent away to be chemically treated before they even knew how the pictures came out. Crazy.

:rollno:

2. JdoubleH

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    That 'end of an era' story was the closing of the Ampex tape plant in Opelika, AL a few years back, IIRC.

3. Get modern...Get the sound...Go analog...Get stoned...Get Gotten!

4. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    its still around. its just a little harder to find than it used to be.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I'm not falling for that.
    There were "Direct to Disk" recordings that audiophiles craved
    Skip the tape, and cut the disk direct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_to_disc_recording

And look at that, most audio recordings were direct to disk before 1950's

Real musicians do it in one take.:D

6. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    I love sound of (good) analog reel recording, but recent (good) digital recording technology doesn't sound bad for me too.. And it's keep getting better while at the same time provide much more flexiblilities option (in edit, choice etc).. So much that it change the way people record music.
    But still analog tape recording has it's pluses, esp. Artistically (even if the subject already being debated all the time with all strong arguments since digital recording day one)

I'm sure that many people have the same feeling as me, so I'm not surprised if there will be still production for analog tape recording gear whatever they are.

7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    This is from Wikipedia but I know it to be accurate. Here's the facts, guys:

When Ampex broke apart in the 1990s, Quantegy Inc. was formed, later becoming Quantegy Recording Solutions in 2004. Quantegy (and formerly Ampex) led the field in reel-to-reel technology, and Quantegy was the only company left making reel-to-reel tape in the world for a period of two years. In 2007, Reel Deal Pro Audio purchased the majority of Quantegy's reel to reel audio tape and accessories and began to sell it on their web site.

In 2006, Recorded Media Group International (RMGI) in the Netherlands began manufacturing EMTEC specification tape in Oosterhout and is now the largest open reel tape manufacturer in the world.

ATR Magnetics of York, PA, longtime service and modification shop for multitrack and master recorders, began manufacturing analog multitrack tape, and in November 2006 began beta testing a new formula.

8. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Tape is harder to get and more expensive now, but tape machines are cheaper than ever. It's a double-edged sword. It sounds amazing if you can get your hands on some.

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Sure, analog can sound amazing. (also requires: great sounding instruments, preamps, mics, compelling performance)

It can also NOT. (captures crappy sounding drums, vocals, poor performance, easily)

But... if you don't have any music anyone cares about, it's totally for vanity.

Great compositions and performances will always transcend the recording medium.

Analog? Go for it if you can.

10. JdoubleH

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    I think you just torpedoed your own argument that somehow digital is "best".

Sure digital can be easier, but that often equates to "anyone can do it". Seems to me analog has a lot more darwinism built into it, and thus the net outcome is generally better.

You also just undermined your assertion that the medium doesn't improve the player by saying real musicians do it in one take. The challenges offered by the constraints of the medium push the artist in ways the easy road never will.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Did you catch the smiley?

PS - I believe in Evolution, not "Darwinism"

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    The last I heard, the industry moved to metal tapes, which requires newer heads, and special bias, and dolby, ...

There's enough difference that you can ruin heads using the wrong tape.

13. JdoubleH

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Yeah, no they dont show in the android app except as text which my addled brain ignores as punctuation errors {:<(

Apologies if it came off a little abrasive. Not intended, meant in the spirit of honest debate.

FWIW, I am not sad to see tape widely replaced by digital. I spent years trying to master a simple tascam 4 track. That said, I'm with you on the one-take . I hate tracked recordings- I prefer tracks be used for mix down and maybe post production, not late ideas and sleight of hand. Oh and don't get me started on pitch correction!

14. JdoubleH

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Seamonkey- by darwinism, I was referring to natural selection.

15. So you have no idea what you are talking about on this topic as well, huh?

Maybe go back to the amps forum and tell us more about tubes.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Feel free to use any tape you want with any recorder you have. Let us know how the works out for you.

17. Just stop.

If it were anyone else I would assume you were just an incredibly unsubtle troll.

Given your track record of polluting threads with a combination of poorly understood information, misapplied information, out and out misinformation, and total nonsense I am willing to accept that you genuinely are this misinformed and ignorant of the basic fundamentals of tape and tape machines.

This doesn't make your posts any more useful.

Again, stop.

18. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You seem to be trolling me.
    You don't have anything to add to the discussion so you attack my character. No need to to have escalating credential attacks. There are plenty of people here who have exchange of information I like to read. I'll reset my filters.