and Barefaced Big Twin II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slap Monkey, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Slap Monkey

Slap Monkey

Aug 8, 2015
    Illinois
    Anyone have experience pairing the Mesa D800 with the Barefaced Big Twin II (Gen 3)? This is my first foray beyond a combo and want to get it right. I play mostly rock/punk with some funk and blues as well. Slap, pick, and finger styles. Mostly play my P bass but also my J and EBMM Stingray. All are 4strings.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. If you go to the massive Barefaced thread and search it for Mesa you will get a few hits.

The cab will bring out the best of any amp I expect.

MHT75 likes this.
  3. Slap Monkey

Slap Monkey

Aug 8, 2015
    Illinois
    Yup! Just read it and that fits the bill. Looks like a good match. Thanks. Does anyone else want to weigh in (pun intended)?

4. jakka1

jakka1 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Kansas
    Nice pairing... you won't be disappointed. I played though that exact combo for awhile with Stingrays. GAS led me down a different path with the amp, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another someday. The Big Twin though... that is one piece of gear I don't see straying from. Cab GAS over!!

DirtyDuke likes this.
  5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    And the 800+ will bring out the best in any cab IME

6. Tectonic

Tectonic

Oct 14, 2010
    I recently purchased a big twin II And believe it would sound great with any quality amp( which the Mesa 800+ is)
    I play the cab with a Bergantino B-amp and it is the best sound I have ever had.
    The big twin is a game changer.

DirtyDuke and jakka1 like this.
  7. I bought a Mesa D800 to go with my Barefaced Big Twin II because of the D800's portability, bang for the buck, high quality, and ease with which it is possible to get a good sound right away. I agree with MHT75 that the Big Twin is a game-changer. There was no D800+ when I purchased my D800. If you can afford it, you might want to get the 800+; I'm quite satisfied with the D800.

The Big Twin II is just coasting when being driven by only 800 watts RMS. It's just so responsive and alive. You will hear EVERYTHING you play with amazing clarity and fidelity.

MHT75 likes this.
  8. Slap Monkey

Slap Monkey

Aug 8, 2015
    Illinois

9. Slap Monkey

Slap Monkey

Aug 8, 2015
    Illinois
    Thanks for the wisdom. Looks like a great way to go!

10. Alehouse

Alehouse Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Not a Mesa D800 but you won’t regret it. Last cabinet I will ever buy!
    3EE023AD-25C1-44EC-9120-E1A09F4AB98D.jpeg

11. Slap Monkey

Slap Monkey

Aug 8, 2015
    Illinois
    Beautiful rig! Wish I had the cash for the head.

Alehouse likes this.
  12. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Can this cab compete with two SWR Goliath III? I'm asking as I'd like to reduce/optimize/lighten my rig.
    I mainly play mid venues to festivals. My current configuration works very well on any gigs. But I'm really curious about those barefaced cabs.
    A picture of my rig (on the right):
    View attachment 2985817

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    svtb15 likes this.
  13. DiMarco

DiMarco Guest

Feb 4, 2010
    Yes it can. I used to run through an SWR Goliath plus a Son of Bertha cab and now use the BT2 as my single cab solution.
    It goes stupid loud and has better mids to cut through then the SWR cabs had. Trebs sound more natural too. I am loving it.

svtb15 and baxter_x like this.
  14. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    He’s got a Titan!

baxter_x likes this.
  15. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I used a pair of Goliath III 410s for many years back in the day. My Barefaced Four 10 is about half the weight of a single Goliath 410, IMO has better tone and is up there with a pair of Goliaths on terms of volume.

svtb15 and baxter_x like this.
  16. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Well, I have two actually. A silver one a a black one ;)

17. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    That's impressive! I don't understand why barefaced or greenboy are so confidential as they seem to make some great stuffs.

18. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    That's the first time I've seen those combined ;-)

Plutonium244 likes this.
  19. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I use a Peavey 1000W MiniMega with my Gen 1 BF BT-2. Well, been doing all restaurant/bar-grill gigs lately, so just using a 112 or 210 with the Peavey or TC-E BH550. Haven't used the big cab since last summer. But when I do get to gig it, man, it's something special for sure. Geez and the rig in pic, Ampeg V4B+212AV has been in my spare bedroom for over a year now. Dang, I gotta book some bigger, louder gigs to use that gear again. :rollno:
    Got to use this last Fall at one restaurant, 112AV. But no big cabs for me in awhile.

RestaurantRig.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    svtb15 and Plutonium244 like this.
  20. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    That is Impressive..
    One Four10 may then keep up with the typical ampeg 810-ish?? If so, Who needs more for almost any rational gig

ErnieD likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021