Another Church players topic-Post: amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    The recent thread in 'Basses' got such a great response so, picking up on that, I'd be curious to know how all of the church bass folks are accomplishing amplification.

What's your church rig consisting of? Amps? Cabs? PA? Backline? Monitoring? etc...
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I actually just played through my own rig at church. At a reasonable volume, it filled the church quite nicely. Bass travels far.
  3. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    What's your rig like?
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

At the time when I was actively playing with my church, it involved a Genz Benz 210XB and a GK 1000RB.
  5. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I use a Phil Jones Briefcase for a monitor for myself and the drummer, with the line out from the PJB going to the mixing desk. Works great, sounds great, very little visual clutter or distraction (which I believe is a major consideration given the setting).
  6. We go through in-ear monitors at the church I attend/play at, with each bandmember getting his own monitor mix. I could bring a small amp, but don't. Depending on what we're playing and my mood, I either plug straight into the church-supplied Countryman DI or bring my Alembic F-1X. Basses are either of my 2 Stingray fives ('92 and '88) or occasionally my Carvin fretless 5.
  7. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    My B100R works perfectly for my church, as I don't have any drummers or volume-happy guitarists to compete against.

I only play with a grand piano and an acoustic guitar, so it's not that hard to cut through. ;)
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    My church rig is the same one i use everywhere else, the one in my sig. I bridge the power amp for the full 1200 watts, but leave the master around 10 o'clock. Then its mic'ed into a 2.1 PA.
  9. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I use an active radial J48 DI (best DI in the world, IMHO) and use the EQ on the board.
    I used to wear headphones, but nowe I just turn u[p the monitors a little bit more. No amps to lug, and the sound is great.
    We've got a really nice set of speakers, (main and sub, I picked them out myself) so why lug around a heavy amp/cab?
  10. wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    We use IEMs (and it helped clean up the sound ALOT!), but I run the low pass from my Alembic F-1X to a Peavey BAM210 just to get some stage feel. I let the FOH deal with the room sound, although I am sending a post EQ signal to them, so my effects make it into the PA.

11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I run with a 1001RB through an ampeg 4x8, then plug that in direct just for a little tiny bot of foh backup. Most of the sound comes from m rig, though.
  12. Old rig: Peavey Pro500 head, 4*10 cab, DI to the house.

New rig: Sansamp Bass DI to the house, with a 12" wedge monitor at my feet. Works really good but I do miss the head/cab. Will get another one soon.

A few other bassists, 3 to be specific, in town use 15" combo's Di to the house.

One bassist uses a Hartke head and 4*10 cab.
  13. mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    i use my own cab and head, but DI into the PA...they have a pretty good set up. They've got very nice monitors containing 2 12 inch subs w/ very good horns. Can't complain about their system. We have nice stage monitors also think they are JBL.
  14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I use a Kustom Groovebass 1200 into an Avatar B212. I never have to turn up past 4 but it is nice having the volume when needed.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Berg 310 and preamp (demeter or aguilar)/mackie 1400
  16. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    On my Wed & Sunday gigs I was going direct and using headphones, but this kept me from hearing the orchestra and the choir clearly. I repeatedly asked for my own floor wedge, but when I got it we rearranged the stage and the gtr player was going through it also; which didn't work well at all. We have a massive PA system, so my concern is only for stage volume and clarity.

Now, I use my EA iAmp 800 and VL-110 for stage volume. I use the DI to send a signal to the board for the FOH. I get a clear tone that's not too loud.

Friday night is at a different church (Celebrate Recovery program). I leave the VL-110 at my main church and bring a GS112 with my iAmp. It's a small fellowship hall, so I have to keep the volume down so they can get a good blend in the FOH.

I iAmp is relatively light (19 lbs), but I'm sure thinking about one of them lunchboxes (AI Focus or Contra).
  17. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Wow! It's obvious that there are a lot of active TB'ers who play in church situations!

Here's mine:

Zon bass=>Avalon U5=>Yamaha digital board=>two Bose PAS

We used to use JBL stage monitors, then we went to in-ear monitors. Losing the JBL's cleaned up the overall sound *a lot*, but we found that we didn't like the in-ears as much as we thought we would. I think they'd have been better recieved if we'd've had the one that allowed individual mixes (we only had one monitor mix and no individual controls).

The Bose PAS's have solved all that. They sit behind the band so there's no need for monitors at all. Being line arrays, the stage sound doesn't have to be extremely loud to produce a good level at the back row of seats.

The pastor even asked to use it as his voice amplification instead of the house system. We've completely eliminated: 2 Crown power amps, 8 ceiling mounted horns, 18" sub-woofer, half a dozen stage monitors, and the in-ear monitors. We often get compliments on the sound and the band loves it because we not only hear our individual parts well but we actually hear the same mix as the house.

Thanks for the replys and keep 'em coming!

)WITH OR WITHOUT A BERG 115:cool:
  19. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    I use IEMs and a Radial JDI...
  20. I use an SWR LA12 DI'd.

Cheaper than a nice Pre and I don't need any volume out of it.

The chrurch uses an Aviom in-ear system. Everyone has a small 16 channel mixer.