1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another middle-aged bass newbie - more or less

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Oomworthy, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Hiya.

I picked up a bass again last year in an attempt to get into it properly. I first played in a band at school in 1984 but didn't keep it up (and was never really competent). A chance to get together with a few of the old band prompted me to begin again. 1 year on and I'm still start/stop but have now accumulated 2 more basses - none of which I can really play.

The best way to become a player is to start, so here I am. Again.

Based in Scotland, semi-retired, and discovering the joys of GAS.

Cheers.

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Welcome!
    Honestly, the best way to become a better player is to stay the heck off these forums and actually practise...but where's the fun in that?

Oomworthy likes this.
  3. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Welcome.

Oomworthy likes this.
  4. I should mention that last year the plan was to get myself a few lessons and get the gear set up so that after my knee replacement op I could spend all that convalescing time practicing. Alas, a serious infection put me back in hospital and left me with 6 months of hefty antibiotic treatment via a line directly to my heart (no kidding, they do that!), and frankly I've had a hard time getting back to 'normal'. Now I'm getting 20-30 minutes every day of scales to get my fingers into it, and adding a little something every few days. I'm considering getting a few more lessons but it's a 50 mile round trip each time and I'm a bit broke.

Youtube and persistence are a good combination.

Oddly likes this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Hope the recovery goes well...having music in your life should help.
    As for lessons, as you say, the internet's got so much for that.
    Personally I've only ever had one lesson, which I took after about three years of playing in bands!
    Obviously I'm an idiot, leaving it that long, as it did pinpoint a couple of technique issues with how I was holding myself and fretting.
    That area is one where I feel you really can benefit from a one-on one session.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome!

Wishing you a fast recovery moving forward and glad you found us!