1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another Squier Bronco mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greggory garner, Nov 2, 2017.

1. greggory garner

greggory garner

Jun 29, 2015
    I bought this beat up squier bronco at a pawn shop, it was stock with the red finish. I brought it home and in a couple days it turned into this. Blueish green rattle can paint refin, cut the pickguard for a more music master vibe, gretsch broadcaster bass pickup, thumb rest, and a jazz bass pickup cover for a bridge cover which I think looks pretty cool. The bass sounds great now, even output, louder, fatter. I’m pretty proud of this project. I have about $135 bucks invested in the finished product. Tell me what you think and show me your modded Broncos.

Attached Files:

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Looks awesome! :thumbsup:

Rarely you get a great bass for that amount of money.

Cool! :bassist:

greggory garner likes this.
  3. Nice work..:thumbsup:

Just reconfigured my Bronc to Gretsch humbucker plus Red Lace Sensor. V/V/T. Got it back today. Changed the pickguard to all black too.
    Had my techie wire it up.

Going to put black screws on it..

IMG_0596.JPG

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks awesome, love the pickup.

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    WoW ... Cool colour !!!!

6. lowplaces

lowplaces Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Nice job... I'd rock it !

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    that color looks just perfect on it!

lowdownthump and greggory garner like this.
  8. greggory garner

greggory garner

Jun 29, 2015
    Thanks, I was going to go for a real pale yellow, but saw this light blue/green and thought it would be perfect and I love it

lowdownthump and pcake like this.
  9. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    stratobass.
    I don't know if this counts, but its a bronco neck.

10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    One of my favorite color combinations. Looks sweet.

11. greggory garner

greggory garner

Jun 29, 2015
    Me too. I’ve got a Peavey fury in almost the same color.

Attached Files:

ejaggers likes this.
  12. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I've got a Bronco and plan on making it a Jagco or Bronguar. I have the electronics from a CIJ Jaguar and I'm going to install them in this Bronco. Now I just need the time to do it... I've had the body and electronics for months now, but have had zero time to work on it.

13. greggory garner

greggory garner

Jun 29, 2015
    What does the lace sound like?

14. The Red Lace is a sweet little pup. IMO it's on the "hot side". I had two of them in the Bronc but found they were sort of competing with each other.

Earlier I had a Dimarzio BC-2 Billy Corgan pup in there. That pup was good but the Lace is even better.

Now, with the Gretsch pup in there and V/V/T, the Lace sounds really good. (It doesn't overpower the Gretsch).

My wiring techie told me there are several options on the Lace for wiring (it's a three-wire pup) and he picked the standard configuration. Fine by me.

That bass has 250k pots etc in it.

(LOL...:D..I think I've spent more money on the Bronc over time than any bass I ever owned. It's just that the playability is so good for me.

I think if I ever got a custom bass built I would use the Bronc neck and body as templates for the new build.)

Duder likes this.
  15. Just did this to a musicmaster and it really thumps

image1.

16. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    In which case, you should call your new creation a Fender Chimera.

Duder likes this.
  17. LoTone

LoTone A bass for all occasions... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Is this a Walking Dead bass? It looks like it survived a Zombie Apocalypse! :cool:

18. Great name for the bass (Walking Dead bass). It was given to me after spending many years in a South Florida Garage. Most of the paint had to be flaked off. The neck is rock solid.

19. crunge

crunge

Dec 27, 2007
    Great looking Bronco mods, guys...

I grabbed a Bronco off craigslist just to have a short scale to mod and experiment on. Honestly, I absolutely love the neck profile on this guy. The weight, balance, and acoustic resonance also surprised me for the such a budget bass. I left the tuners alone (2016 model, they seem to work just fine) and just replaced the bridge with a spare Hipshot B, enlarged the pickup hole for a Lawrence EB-50 pickup, and swapped in 500K pots.

OPQtfr.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  20. der_apotheker

der_apotheker

Jan 18, 2018
    Finished the tinting on my bronco mod project- very pleased with how this came out...

Attached Files: