Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rumbler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    and on john scofields' who's Who", as well as on a simon philips record force majour and another lifetime, if I#m not mistaken.
    Rob whitlock sketchin' and sketchin' 2
    Edward simon group "beauty within"
    Wayne krantz- Signals
    "Flashpoint " with steve smith , dave liebman and ayden esen
    Back on the corner-dave liebman
    Rock candy(?) by john tropea
    ..and just a couple more :D

2. if - Fahir Atakoglu

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    For the Love of Money - O'Jays

funny.....came up on my iPod this morning, Great bass, great tune!

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 Soooo obvious!:bassist:

5. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Elegant Gypsy - Al DiMeola is one of my favorites.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you want Anthony Jackson, listen to almost ANYTHING by Al Di Meola.

He's godly!

8. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I saw someone mention Michel Camilo stuff earlier. The 1993 album Rendezvous has been one of my favorite jazz albums for...wow...going on 15 years now. So What (the trio with Camilo, Jackson, and Weckl + Chris Potter/Lew Soloff horn section and extra percussion and Suntan (the trio with Joel Rosenblatt on drums on a couple of tracks) are both awesome as well, but Rendezvous stands out for me.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ...it's from the album "ship ahoy", right?

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
  11. That's one of my favorite Anthony performances. I dig it when El Negro and Camilo are just laughing during Anthony's solo (which is a rare thing for Anthony to even do)... they are both digging it hard.

And man, is El Negro amazing or what!!!!

That clip really captures the Anthony thing to me... he uses THE WHOLE bass, and has such a precision to his execution (perfect note placement 'within the beat' to my ears), and uses dynamics so well... really something!

12. This post turned out great::D

Anthony Jackson is awesome and I am really digging this vid with Michael Camilo!!! its SWEET!!! Anthony's solo is awesome and I love those big chords he uses during the tune.

Also check out the very end when he employs the 3 finger technique:bassist::p lol

Andrew

13. This also made me develop a bigger appreication for piano!!!

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Camillo, Weckl and Jackson. Mmm. Love that trio. Saw them up close at the 5 spot in NYC around '95 or so.

Also check out Michel Petrucianni, Gadd and Jackson. Different pianist different flavour but great too.

15. Go get Lee Ritenour's "Overtime" DVD. Check out Captain Fingers.....AJ's fingers move so fast all you see is a blur! It's a must have DVD.

16. A big +1!! One of my all time favorite performances.

Here's another great one with the trio.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I mentionned it on Pg. 1 of this thread (thanks for reading). ;)
    The whole album is worth checking out, IMO.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yes you did...I just saw it.
    I kinda stopped reading that post past your mention of the forthcoming steve khan live disc, That I really am looking forward to!
    That was a fun gig!!

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My favourite work of his would be on the Paul Simon song "Slip Slidin' Away".

His playing provides a beautiful counter melody, as catchy and vital as Simon's vocals. His note choices are superb, and he deftly walks the line between support and melody as he goes. The 7 notes he plays just as Paul says "I lie in bed and think of things that might have been" are simply godly. The very epitome of restraint and taste, and yet he seems to "say" so much as a brilliantly gifted player on this song. Beautiful.

dfp likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021