Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rumbler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    Selected screen captures from the "Lee Ritenour Live at the Coconut Grove" DVD
    (I have more of these if you want them)

AJRitenour02.jpg

AJRitenour03.jpg

AJRitenour04.jpg

(with João Bosco!)
    AJRitenour06.jpg

AJRitenour15.jpg

2. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    More selected screen captures.
    This time, from the Michel Petrucciani Trio "Live in Concert" video with Steve Gadd on drums. Trio vids on youtube
    I have more of these available too if you want them.
    Real nice shots of his technique. *Excuse the hijack! :bag:

AJPetrucciani01.jpg

AJPetrucciani05.jpg

AJPetrucciani08.jpg

AJPetrucciani07.jpg

AJPetrucciani09.jpg

AJPetrucciani10.jpg

AJPetrucciani11.jpg

AJPetrucciani12.jpg

AJPetrucciani13.jpg

AJPetrucciani14.jpg

AJPetrucciani16.jpg

AJPetrucciani15.jpg

AJPetrucciani18.jpg

AJPetrucciani19.jpg

3. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    So true (on all accounts)!

One of the first times I went to see AJ with Wayne Krantz at the 55 Bar, I found him sipping an espresso at a coffee shop next door, looking very content all by himself. During set breaks he either leaves or finds a corner to sit in, alone if he can! Once he meets you a few times and recognizes you, he opens up a little and it's not quite so awkward to just say hello! :D

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    "They want me to play that!?" :p

VintageBT6Lover, your photo contributions to this thread are awesome, thanks man!

5. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :D :D :D Haha!!

Thanks for the kind words! :cool:

Another cool vid I found:
    Michel Camilo Trio - Mr. C.I. (Live @ North Sea Jazz Festival 2002)

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheshire, UK
    Can some one remind me what his Jazz is tuned to I know it starts at C or something

7. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Yeah, thanks a lot for the pics VintageBT6Lover, really interesting to see that evolution. :smug:

That headstock on his jazz bass; is that a Fender neck or was it replaced. Also, anybody have any idea what year career girl is? If it's an ash body does that make it post 74/75? Sorry, don't know too much about Fenders but that looks interesting. Also, re my original post, anybidy know what bass Anthony would have been playing in 1983 on George Benson's 'In your Eyes' album? Thanks

8. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Checking that out right now...the sickness!
    +1 Required listening!

Nice! Can't wait to listen to it. Might be the Smith *see below.

9. Brad Maestas

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Thanks! My pleasure.
    AFAIK, it's a Fender neck. Maybe sanded the finish (and logo) off the face. Apart from the Schaller tuners and different nut, it looks like a stock neck.
    No idea what exact year it is. I'm sure someone here will chime in with the answer.
    Not sure. Could very well be the Smith. I don't think he ever actually recorded with the Carl Thompson so chances are very good that it's the Smith.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    This is available as "Non Stop Travels with Michel Petrucciani/Michel Petrucciani Trio in Concert".
    Here's a link to it;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...ywords=michel+petrucciani&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
    And one for those in the US of A
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_d...ywords=michel+petrucciani&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
    I'd say it is well worth while as the documentary is interesting too.
    The concert is well filmed and the sound is good!!

You'll find some you tube videos on michel camilo's web site as well.

11. Thanks for the reminder! I remember seeing this posted a little while back on the web somewhere but forgot about it til now. I'm ordering today! I own the original DVD from this concert but it's a different region and I haven't been able to watch it like I would want.

Great pics, Brad! I wish I was at home as I have some other cool pics to add as well. I'll have to do it tonight.

It's so cool to see a guy like Anthony that is so amazingly talented and isn't out there to make himself famous. He doesn't want his face in the spotlight or to be the center of the show. He's there to serve the music because he loves it. What a cool thing in todays music world.

12. Found on Michel Camilo's website.

Descarga for Tito Live from North Sea Jazz Festival '02

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of the best-ever interviews by Guitar Player mag was the AJ feature (Jan '86/Robert Fripp cover). It's roughly TEN pages long...
    Anyway, when asked about his preferred wide-string spacing on his then 6-string basses (e.g. Ken Smith)-
    "...solely to duplicate the string spacing on my Fender 4-string, which I've owned since 1972 & feel very comfortable with.
    It's odd, because the instrument has a Precision neck on a Jazz body, which means that it has Precision nut spacing, although mine was narrower than usual, & Jazz bridge spacing."

I recall another interview where he went into more detail about the Fender/'career girl"...IIRC, it's in a Bass Player mag.

More from the Guitar Player article-
    Carl Thompson built AJ's 1st 6-string in 1975. It has a 34" scale & was not used too much because the strting spacing was too tight (AJ admits he did not spec it out properly for Thompson). Also mentioned is a 44" scale Carl Thompson bass that was never played in public (impractical to finger, would have had to been played in cello position).

At this time (Jan '86), AJ is using two(2) 34" scale Ken Smiths...he does mention that Vinnie Fodera(ex-Ken Smith partner) is building an "Anthony Jackson" model that is a 36" scale.

14. The more I look at this picture, I think it's from the performance of Etude. Which, as amazing as that whole concert is, Etude is my favorite track. The way he doubles everything that Lee does makes me just sit back and say wow. Amazing....

15. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Don't recall seeing anyone mention his stint w/ Journey in 1986-87 recording and touring the "Raised on Radio" tracks.
    I've always wondered how/what Mr. Jackson felt about his contribution to that project :confused: :meh:

16. That was "Mr Dawg" himself, *RANDY* Jackson....THAT one (Anthony playing with Journey) made the coffee fly out of my mouth! :)

Jamie

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yeah that was Randy Jackson.:D This post just made my day.:D

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    There is a number of discs by roland vasquez, one of them a life album.
    The Playing on all of them is qui9te good, I'd say.
    Hamp's Blues is another interesting one and the same goes for "opposites attract" by paul dresher and ned rothenberg.

19. What exactly is AJ up to now?

Does anyone know what outfit hes currently recording or touring with? If they come to Toronto I surely want to check it out!!

Andrew

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021