Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rumbler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. velocraig

velocraig

Nov 1, 2003
    NE Georgia
    Glad I could make everyone's day :rolleyes: Even I'm laughing at myself right now!
    Been on the heavy cold meds this week...
    Note to self: stay away from the keyboard after a big dose in the AM.
    :bag: now slipping away in self-shame :bag:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just messin' with ya!:D

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    are we talking about the american idol guy?

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The funny thing is that in terms of sheer chops, Randy can hang with Anthony. I don't believe that Randy can equal Anthony Jackson's musical vision, but I suspect very, very few of us on this Earth are in AJ's league as a bass visionary.:cool:

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The album ' Further Dance' from about the years ago was recorded direct to two track and is excellent AJ!

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'm lucky enough to own one. I can get you pics of the bass only... I know, not quite the same thing.
    :D

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I remember reading that article. I was always a big fan and it was pretty cool that we had the same taste in instruments, spacing and setup. Made me feel like I might at least be on the right track;). At the time I had (and still have) a 68 Jazz... with a P bass neck.
    :bassist:

8. Some more pics...

AJ43-1.gif

dwst03.gif

AnthonyJackson4.gif

anthony_jackson_04_milano2007.gif

anthony_jackson_02_milano2007.gif

AJ40.gif

AJ34-1.gif

AJ27.gif

AJ-Cliff.gif

Trioankarasahne3.gif

TrioFaces.gif

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I remember listening to Randy doing fusion back in the day. Around the same time AJ did "Race with Devil on Spanish Highway" with Al DiMeola.:eek:. Doubling Al's guitar lines.:eek:. I never heard Randy do anything like that. In terms of sheer chops, IMO, AJ doesn't sound as predictable. Randy's nice but when it comes to note choice (much harder than playing a lick faster and faster)... well, it's all a matter of opinion.
    :cool:

The Chaka Khan projects are great examples of seriously outside the box bass playing.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
  11. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Singapore
    I ordered it just now together with Lee Ritenour DVD "Overtime"

Anthony is a great player, he's one of my idols !

I have also a question on his current Fodera, what's the string spacing at bridge, 18 ? 19mm ?

Thanks a lot !

Paolo

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Almost looks like he's going slappity-poppity here!

AnthonyJackson4.gif

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like that Lee Ritenour DVD, although,for the most part, the music is not quite my "cup of tea".
    My favourite songs are the ones with Ivan Lins...by a loooong way!!

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...then you're about as bad as I am.
    (at least you have a basement).
    ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing your '68 Jazz with the P-neck. Back in the '80s, I went the other way...I outfitted my '64 P-bass with a Jazz neck.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I bought it back in the early 80's. A guy sold me the bass and a 2-12 Silvertone tube amp for $125. Apparently someone at a store convinced him his neck was bad when had the store change his strings (remember when people did that?), put the new 77 P Bass neck on and kept his neck. I know the 68 necks were problematic so maybe it was all above. Then again this guy was pretty clueless about bass so maybe it wasn't.

The neck is still like new and the body has very mild checking and is otherwise original. I did try a Bad Ass II but didn't like how it seemed to suck the life out of the sound. It's a nice Jazz but once I played an Ash one (this was Alder) it was all over for me.

It kind of figures I'd put it in this picture with my AJ (I was just grabbing five basses, sticking them on the couch and taking pics):

DCP_0945.jpg

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice!

$125 for the Jazz & the amp...wow.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I seem to have a well-honed knack for finding ridiculous deals.

18. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    I saw him at ICMP in London last year, he was, need I say fantastic.

When he came into the place though, he was wearing splints on both wrists, quite worrying, he had used to use a very heavy strings and have a high action on a 36' scale instrument.

I was told the other day about him being sacked from one tour because he refused to stand up to play, he suffers from arthritis in his feet, I can't remember who the artist was.

When I saw him he was playing through an Ashdown rig, he didn't seem very happy with it, but his sound was fantastic never the less.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Do you have an idea what gauges of strings he actually uses?
    When you say "very heavy" how heavy is that?

Also; What are splints?

Interesting to hear he was sacked off a tour for not standing up... how would one suggest he play that bass,as it has no strap buttons?
    I heard he once lost a gig for not wanting to learn the music and rather read.--But don't quote me on this as it was a mere rumor I heard a number of years ago.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    It's their loss, AJ is one of a kind!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021