Anthony Jackson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rumbler, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    Splints.....wrist supports.

I think he may be using lighter gauge strings nowadays due to problems, I just checked in the Fodera site and they're a normal medium gauge.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Whoever fired him was an idiot. Anyone who hires him should realize that he is beyond a mere sideman. He is an artist who should be allowed to pursue his vision as he sees fit.

3. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    I had the pleasure to experience AJ some month ago on a Mike Stern gig (the Line-Up with Dennis Chambers on Drums) in Deutschland and I was sitting "next" to him on the floor next to the stage - I'm still inspired from this day - he is soooooo amazing - I can't put it into words .... and what he does with his Volume Pedal is incredible : his foot moves down and up all the time - sometimes just 2 mm :oops: ....

And I've never seen a Bass Player using the range of 6 Strings ,28 frets, and a D-Tuner on his B-String (which he used a lot for a phat low A) so musical ....

But his health seems to be not the best - he had big, big problems to get on the stage and needed help - only one stair :meh: - to see that makes sad

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I had heard he had been having trouble with his wrists for a while, but it's a big shame to hear he's having trouble these days. I wish him the best, may his awesome playing continue for many years!

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    And perhaps more to the point( or maybe not...) ... has anyone EVER seen him stand whilst playing??
    If they wanted a standing bassist, why hire him in the first place?

Thanx for the clarification as to splints!!!
    When I saw him at what used to be ronnie scotts( well it still carries the name...) last year, I can't remember if he or if he wasnt wearing such wrist supports...)

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Anthony's been a seated-only player for decades - probably since the mid-seventies. From this Bass Player magazine interview:

"By the way, the great guitarist Jack Wilkins [in Rich's band], who always played sitting down without a strap, explaining that this was the logical way to play the guitar, convinced me to do the same. I've been playing that way ever since."

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/anthony-jackson/jan-00/5938

gebass6 likes this.
  7. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Exactly the point I was trying to make!!;)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    His bass has no provision for a strap. Guess he could've showed them that.

9. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    It was a big name artist, that I do remember.

He was with Mike Stern when I saw him at ICMP.

He was fantastic, I was very lucky to get there, it's not often that he comes to England, and the places were limited.

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Actually, I have seen AJ play standing up. I ran into him years ago at Rudy's Music on 48th Street. AJ spied a hollowbody Jazz box guitar, picked it up, played a few notes as he held it, and put it down again, all in a standing position. :p

11. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork

some footage of him playing a Ken Smith.... nice shot of him at around 1:50

12. I'd have to say Michel Camilo's "Triangulo" album is essential Anthony Jackson. Also the DVD of the movie "Calle 54" has a really cool track of Michel Camilo's band with shots of Jackson playing.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I just remember this album..."easy pieces"...another fun one on the list.

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Michel Camilo: Suntan, Once More Once, On Fire

Steve Khan/Eyewitness: Eyewitness, Modern Times, Casa Loco, Public Access

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork

+1.... I mean, did they not do their homework before they hired him? You should at least know the idiosyncrasies of the musos you hire, especially one who's been around as long as he has...

16. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Teach me thy ways O Master! :eek::D

17. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    In all seriousness, I've found AJ to be a true original and an uncompromising artist even while playing more commercially oriented music at times. I still remember reading a Bass Player interview with him in the early 90's that really gave you a glimpse of Anthony as a developing artist and how he viewed things around him.

The whole thing that got him motivated to go with an extended range instrument was in his formative years, while trying to play along with organ trio records, the organ's bass pedals went way below the range of a standard tuned bass which drove him nuts.

I like his stance on soloing, or rather "gratuitous bass solos", I've come to feel that same way over time too. One wrong bass solo can really derail the momentum of a song. I really respect him for making it priority #1 to do what the music calls for. AJ can solo with the best of them, and when he does decide to do one, the results are nothing short of blowaway!

He also commented on slapping for instance. He loved it when Louis Johnson and Larry Graham did it, but what got AJ tweaked was when EVERYBODY jumped on the bandwagon and put no thought into why or if the music called fo it (he especially got a bit miffed at guys who would be slapping their asses off on ballads).

And besides, how many bassists cite influences as far flung as Jack Cassidy, James Jamerson and composer Oliver Messaien?

18. I can't believe noone has mentioned "Kiss My Axe" by Al Dimeola! AJ has incredible tone and his smooth staccato matches very well with the lines Al plays on the record. Phantom is one of my all time favorite tunes!

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I've found those comments on slapping quite interesting.
    Who decides what the music calls for - usually the client, and if they had not wanted slapping on their records, I guess they could have told the bassist not to.
    The bandwagon thing of course is always "one of those".
    Maybe AJ is simply not very good at it...??
    As to soloing...I like certain bass solos, but have met many bassists who simply thought soloing not to be "their strong point", I would not be surprised if AJ was one of them at heart-I personally have found his solos at least inappropriate for the music at times.To me they often sound more like "another part of a composition" than a solo on a given form ( not sure if I myselve understand what I am trying to say...:confused::confused::confused::D:D). They are always interesting though.
    And a solo for the solos sake can be an annoyance on any instrument I think.
    I guess it's down to taste.
    Most musicians I know, including fellow bassists are influenced by many genres of music, and names like Messiaen and Jamerson, Casady, or any other musician ,group etc from any genre, would not be uncommonly found in the same sentence.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm bummed to hear that AJ's health has not been so good. I just hope that he can take steps to improve it. He should be 57 this year. That is definitely not too old to make meaningful changes that could improve the quality of his life.:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021