Anthony Kiedis VS Billy Corgan

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 10, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Who is the better vocalist? I'm going to say Billy. I think he has a better application of key and pitch.

2. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    It seem likes Billy Corgan has more skill and control of his voice. But his voice can be over the top annoying ( I bought all their albums years ago and spent a lot of time obsessed with them). So maybe he is a better singer yet Anthony Kiedis can definitely be more mainstream and easy to listen to. These are two of my favorite bands, as a kid growing up in the nineties playing guitar and bass.

Its hard to say one is better. Maybe Corgan is more of an artist, Keidis is a better entertainer though.

3. Dean N

Dean N Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I say Billy. Both are probably easy to criticize, but 1) I agree with your reasons, and 2) Kiedis's live stuff pretty much always makes me cringe.

4. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Is it possible to use Autotune live? Because I saw them live in 03 and his singing was incredible!! I had seen live videos from the MTV Music AND Movie Awards. Both times (Californication era) his singing was Godawful. But in person it was absolutely amazing! Thats why I am asking, can you use Autotune live? Maybe that was the trick.

5. AccolaStudios

AccolaStudios

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    In terms of lyricism and stage presence, Kiedis wins hands-down. Corgan has better control of pitch, but I agree that his voice can get slightly annoying. Kiedis is far easier to listen to. Then again, I'm a huge RHCP fan so I'm very biased.

They're also very different styles.

6. BowserBass

BowserBass

Jan 18, 2012
    yes:crying:

7. Dean N

Dean N Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    When I was in college (PSU), RHCP played the university, with two unknown bands opening. One was The Smashing Pumpkins. The other was Pearl Jam. Billy got booed mercilessly for saying he didn't (bleeping) care about the football team's big win earlier in the day. They were good, PJ was better, and RHCP just killed. That was just before grunge and alternative music took popular music by storm (aaah, the good ol' days...). I remember both guys were kind of all over the place with singing technique. And I'd take that all day long over that horrid autotone abomination.

Billy is a songwriter first, and a fantastic one at that. I saw them a couple years later, and was surprised at how many solos he took (he's no slouch musician either).

Kiedis just always struck me as a charismatic frontman. Don't get me wrong, I like his band too!

8. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    if Kiedis could sing in key then I'd say Kiedes.

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    They're both good vocalists, but Corgan is definitely the better SINGER.

10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Kiedis is a good frontman, horrible singer to me (but he can or at least used to rap well for their style). Corgan's voice may or may not be anyone's cup of tea, but he can sing quite well. Check out some of his solo acoustic radio appearances and you may be blown away. Listen to RHCP raw live tracks....not so much.

Old Chili, old Pumpkins (Gish)....still some of my favorite stuff to rock out to.

11. socialleper

socialleper Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm going to be a jerk and say they both give me hives. As a whole band it's easier for me to listen to Smashing Pumpkins than RHCP because I'm just sick of them.

For my money Maynard James Keenan or Mike Patton are far superior singers in both technique and pitch control. Hell, I'd choose Corey Taylor before Kiedis or Corgan. Sorry, just my opinion.

12. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I prefer Kiedes' sound and performance palate over Corgan's. Perhaps I also prefer RHCP to SP.

Really comparing apples and oranges, though (and a baritone and a tenor, for that matter) ;.)

13. Whilst being a fan, I'll say that Billy Corgan=Cartman

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Corgan and the guy from Midnight Oil should get together and form a band or club of "super tall bald dudes who look like they should have huge warm deep voices but actually sound like midgets passing kidney stones".

15. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    As a lyricist Kiedis is awful.

16. deltadave

deltadave

May 5, 2010
    Corgan, IMO, is an amazing writer, both musically and lyrically. The library he has created to me is mind blowing. I think some of his acoustic live performances are his best vocals, live with full band he tends to not really go for the recorded track sound. The songs are usually played faster with no real emphasis on hitting all the right notes. Usually however it works. I saw them back in 97' during the MCIS tour and on 12/2000 at the United Center farewell show. No complaints from either!

I have been a fan of The Smashing Pumpkins for almost 18 years now, since I bought Siamese Dream back in 1994/1995.. I have to say that I miss pre Mellon Collie Pumpkins.. I dont know what this new stuff hes been putting out is. His writing has really gone in another direction. His songs used to be filled with beautiful light and shade, amazing lyrics and nice studio vocal tracks - but lately I just can't feel it. Maybe its Jimmy, James or hell even D'arcy not being there.. I don't know, but it sure is different.

17. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I've always assumed that anyone who like Kiedis' singing is tone deaf.

18. Since I can't stand the Pumpkins......Kiedis.

19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    My vote is neither

20. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    and i'll go with carrots! i was always told; if ya got nothin nice to say..............

and i still dont listen. sorry for the intrusion.