1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any bass players that play drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stingray2112, Sep 26, 2010.

1. I've always loved drums (I love bass more tho) and I've always fooled around on my drummers drums. He's taught me some of the basics and I'm thinking about buying a cheap kit just to play around on. Anyone else here try playing drums too? I've looked into some used kits locally but can't find anything, can anyone recommend me a cheap kit that's decent?

2. chris lykins

chris lykins Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    phoenix az
    I do. I think legion or any cheapo brand will be fine. My caveat is buy a good snare, pedals and cymbals. Beginner drums will sound fine live but cheapo cymbals sound like your hitting trash can lids and crummy pedals just make it that much harder to learn.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I play drums. I agree 100% with Chris--get a good snare, cymbals, and pedals--the rest of the drums can be cardboard boxes or plastic buckets, literally. In fact some of the most awesome drumming I've heard was played on plastic buckets. For pedals I happen to like Pearl and Tama; for snare, Yamaha makes excellent quality per dollar; and for cymbals, your best bet is to buy used, and only buy cymbals you can try yourself before buying.

4. ^^ That's for real!

I used to play the drums years ago. I say used to cuz I haven't owned a drum set in decades and I haven't been on a drum in nearly a decade. Fun instrument, though! A real blast if you have good timing and some chops! If you can make 'em rock, it's one of the most therapeutic instruments to play, IMO.

5. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Yeah, I've always enjoyed banging on friends' drums. And a couple of years ago, I bought an entry-level Tama set for my son (now a teen). He's more interested in marching band drumline playing, etc. But I've gotten a good deal of use out of the set. I can do a respectable medium-swing beat, and very basic rock 'n' roll beat, but not much else. I think it does enhance my understanding/feel for some rhythmic concepts.

6. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    Go check out your local pawn shops and craigslist. You can put yourself together a nice "jelly bean" kit with used equipment.

Pearl has changed their whole model line and I've seen some recent deals on Forum, Export and Sessions shells.

If you have a decent amount of cash, ddrum has some NICE three and four piece kits out there for between 300 to 400 USD. (They sound phenomenal for that price too. Better than my first 700 dollar kit.)

I've been playing for seven years and lovin' it. If you can find a place that's kosher with you banging away, there are few better past times.

Good luck!

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I have the sp 5 piece kit. Its pretty good the shells cost 250 with hardware I think. That was new too. It doesnt come with a good pedal or symbols though.

8. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Inactive

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I was a full time working drummer for years before starting bass. Even appeared in some of the drum mags. Although bass and drums are an odd "double" they really go hand in hand.

As for a set, ANY set can sound decent when the heads are new and tuned correctly. Other than that, a decent pedal is all you need -- and I mean DECENT -- nothing high tech.

Yes, cymbals are expensive, for now, work on learning to play.

9. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    +1

The sound is indeed more in the heads than any other aspect. Get both top and bottom heads tuned properly and you can get by fine with any kit.

Every aspect of drumming is more expensive! lmao :D

10. I bought a cheap ass drum set to help with my bassing. I still cant independently articulate well, but its helping. At my level of beginner woodshedding, tin can cymbals and sticky pedals arent hampering me.

11. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Yep, I've played drums for quite a few years but bass is my primary instrument. Everyone is right. Decent cymbals and pedals will make a cheap kit usable.

12. I played drums for 15 years before I picked up bass. Now I've been playing bass for 16 years. Still love drums but I sold my kit a couple years ago to upgrade my bass amp. Man do I regret selling my drums. Good luck finding a cheep set. Learning some drums will really help your bass playing and locking in with the drummer.

13. ez-rhino

ez-rhino

Sep 8, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Bass and Drum Mercenary
    I've been playing guitar and drums for more than 30 years, bass for about 20. You can get a cheap Ludwig Accent 5pc on craigslist for under $200, or a decent Pearl Export for about the same. They are about the same quality, sound decent, and you won't break your budget (that's what high-end cymbals are for).

14. Spraeg

Spraeg

May 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I've been playing drums almost as long as I've been playing bass, although I rarely play any more. I found when I was just starting to play bass, picking up drums at the same time helped alot with timing and rhythm. As said by many people above, you can get a decent kit fairly inexpensively these days, just throw in some halfway ok cymbals and you've got something workable. If you plan on playing out with it though, I'd highly recommend investing in some good cymbals and solid hardware.

15. Third Basser

Third Basser

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm playing drums now on an old Pearl Forum kit. no one really showed me what to do, I just dove in after watching and listening to certain drummers - I feel like I'm faking it, but people say it sounds good, so I guess I'm just intuitively picking it up. I look forward to playing shows, but not setting it all up (arggh), and I never sweat so much in my life at practice. and now I know about how drummers can't keep their hands off the kit while people are talking and annoying everyone with their ADHD habits because I find myself doing that too now :)

16. I'm a working bass player and drummer.

I recommend this kit --> http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/PDP-Z5-5Piece-Shell-Pack?sku=483477

PDP, the shells are good, hey they're round too, what else you need!? : ) I just played with a really great drummer this weekend who had these and they sounded great. Of course he knows how to tune them and put good heads on.

The cymbals and hardware are not included, but it's a great kit for $250 delivered to your door.

17. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    I play drums too. I still own the cheap Mapex kit my parents bought me about 12 years ago, and it's held up great, so the advice to spend the most on cymbals and pedals is very good advice. I was told to spend at least as much on cymbals as I spent on the shells.

Being a drummer before a bass player, I believe, has helped my bass playing tremendously. It helps with timing, and left/right hand coordination, not to mention that it heavily influences my percussive style on bass. Playing slap lines is much easier when you're already good at beating a drum.

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Check out Custom Classic drums on ebay (or google them.) There are demo videos on youtube. The stuff is inexpensive but nice looking.

19. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    What's your name again?

20. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I'm a drummer (20+yrs) who noticed a lack of bass players in my area about 7years a go. Started playing bass after selling my drums, but I've been looking for another kit and CL has full nice sets for $500 +/- by the dozens. All good kits. IMO Pearl exports are not like Squire, the Exports do in fact suck. They don't stay tuned and the hardware is pop metal.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021