1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Frank Zappa fans here?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Andy Coconut, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andy Coconut

Andy Coconut Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Connecticut
    Seeing as my first two posts either offended someone or broke the forum rules, Id figured why not give it one last try.
    Unfortunately my first exposure to Uncle Frank was Titties 'n Beer. Ha Ha... toilet humor, but not interested.
    Luckily a few years later someone played me The Adventures of Greggery Peccary.....20 minutes and 40 seconds later I pick my jaw up off the floor and submerged myself in to a world of what Frank describes as "his ugly melodies" and I never looked back.
    I know he's not a bassist but he's had some real Mothers (pun intended) play for him.

2. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    I love Apostrophe, Overnight Sensations and Joe’s Garage with Weasels Ripped My Flesh a runner up. But there are plenty more in his 100 album catalog. Lived in San Ber’dino, but never met Bobby!

3. Andy Coconut

Jan 14, 2018
    Connecticut
    Bobby would be hard to miss having a head for a potato and all.
    I actually played at The Roxy in L.A. So surreal to think I was on the same stage were Roxy & Elsewhere was recorded.

pudgychef, lz4005 and HolmeBass like this.
  4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, Frank was the business. Saw him on the Broadway the Hard Way tour way back when at Wembley, UK. My first 'exposure' was also titties and beer, probably around 1980 - "blow it out yer a$$ motorcycle man..." My first Zappa 'record' was a flexi-disc from the cover of Guitar Player magazine, maybe around '84/5 (?), featuring 'Sharleena' with Dweezil playing the solo.
    Difficult to say what my favourites are because of the incredible diversity, so I'm not even going to try.

Andy Coconut likes this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    If you want to treat yourself to a hell of a show go see
    Dweezil Zappa playing his father's music.
    Incredible musicianship and a looney good time.

6. Andy Coconut

Jan 14, 2018
    Connecticut
    So True. I was there for his first NYC show. The Dweeze fought back the tears and myself also.

Herrick and Roger M like this.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

8. Andy Coconut

Jan 14, 2018
    Connecticut
    Too bad I was only 10 then at the time. Got to see him in the 80's but I would make this one of my many stops in my time machine. Hey possible new thread?

9. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    A couple of my friends in high school were big Zappa fans, so they're mainly responsible for introducing me to his music. I prefer his more accessible stuff like Sheik Yerbouti and You Are What You Is, though.

10. Andy Coconut

Jan 14, 2018
    Connecticut
    True some of his stuff can be hard to take (Thing-Fish) but thats what makes music such a great interpretive art form. Life would suck if we all listened to the same song and played the same bass through the same amp.

mikeyjm2, SteveCS and MonetBass like this.
  11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Actually, Frank played bass on a track or two off the Apostrophe album, and on almost the entire Zoot Allures album.

12. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I think I first heard Frank's name in connection with the PMRC hearings, when I was a teenage metalhead in the mid-80s. I had always assumed he was a blues rocker in the Hendrix/Santana mold. When I finally did check out his music, it was (IIRC) because of a column in Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine, written by Randy Coven and called "Bass Secrets" or something like that. In it, he talked about rhythmic concepts like playing five notes in the space of three (5:3) and stated that he first learned of such rhythms when studying Frank's music at Berklee. At that point, I ran straight to the record store, and they had probably 20 or so Zappa CDs in stock. I selected one based on the cover, because it made me laugh, and also the fact that the disc contained a song called "Teenage Prostitute". I figured any album with a tune called "Teenage Prostitute" was worth having for the audacity alone. (Ironically, the album also contained "Valley Girl", which I am just young enough to have never heard played on the radio even once in my life. I was surprised years later to learn that it had been a hit.)

R-431746-1350020053-2354.jpeg.

On my first spin through the disc, I listened to the first three songs, and thought they were OK. "I might listen to this once in a while," I said to myself. Then the title track hit. After Frank says "ritual sacrifice", the album went into an utterly unrelenting, staggeringly complex section of instrumental music that converted me instantly and completely. In the span of a few short years I had purchased every album he ever made.

Although I enjoy most of his music, I'm a bit of a snob in the sense that I do think of some of his releases as "Zappa Lite". I'm not so much into the comedy as I am the music. My personal favorite albums:

Uncle Meat
    Burnt Weenie Sandwich
    Hot Rats
    Grand Wazoo

Pretty much everything from the Brock/Duke/Underwood era
    Studio Tan
    Sleep Dirt
    Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention
    Jazz From Hell
    The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
    Make A Jazz Noise Here
    The Yellow Shark

And, perhaps my all-time desert island disc: Civilization Phaze III

getrhythm, MonetBass, sambass and 4 others like this.
  13. Andy Coconut

Jan 14, 2018
    Connecticut
    Wow I thought I was the only one who bought Civilization Phaze III. That's some serious statistical density!

Bassist4Eris and Reedt2000 like this.
  14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    You had me at "Uncle Meat"
    We can hang.

15. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    An absolute genius....I like to noodle on his Apostrophe theme and the 7/4 Yellow Snow. Another fun one to play is combination of Cosmic Debris and Willie the Pimp.....I start with the Debris riff and then go right into Willie...Big fun!

bassmeknik and Andy Coconut like this.
  16. Wait, you don’t like Thingfish?

“I‘m sure it’s just stage pee...”

ON the ONE and Andy Coconut like this.
  17. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Huge fan of Zappa!

Andy Coconut and JJR58 like this.
  18. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Same!!

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Genius composer

20. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

He's on bass for this one.

ProgressiveDoom, 4001, bebi and 3 others like this.