1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any low cost full range bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by n1as, Nov 14, 2017.

1. n1as

n1as Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    What's out there that is
    • Full range, flat response
    • Loud enough for live use
    • Affordable
    I'd like to use it for home practice both with bass and e-gtr (sound from sans amp pedals). Also use it for live stage monitoring for low to medium volume gigs.

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think used Acme Low B series checks all three of those boxes (assuming you have a powerful amp to drive it). I've even heard of people using them as full-range PA cabinets.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    fEARful cab flat pack.

dukeorock and jam.majors like this.
  4. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Many 15" PA cabinets. One of my favorite cabinets I ever didn't own was an early Genz Benz 215+horn. One of my favorite accidental bass tones was when I got a last minute gig and only had an SVT III and two old Traynor 3 way 15" PA cabs. Freaking fantastic, I wish I still had them, I'd move all the components into boxes that didn't weigh 50 pounds empty...

5. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    So let me qualify that, I'm leaning pretty hard on the "inexpensive" bit. I loved my pair of Acme low B2's, although not cheap. And a fearful flat pack would definitely tick all the boxes as well.

dukeorock likes this.
  6. TB153.
    Carvin 1503.

troy mcclure likes this.
  7. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    What's that gonna cost before it makes some sound?

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on what size. They have complete kits, with crossover, driver, and everything.

9. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    What is your budget?

Element Zero likes this.
  10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think even the cheapest configuration would meet many people's definition of cheap or budget friendly. An ACME B2 is probably as close to a value proposition as you will find but, by the time you get through buying the power to drive that thing properly, you will be back into the wallet.

The carvin 1503 mentioned above I believe was the launch point of the entire greenboy thing, That would be one heck of a good place to start for sure

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    troy mcclure and Marko 1 like this.
  11. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    North of $300 for sure, maybe far north depending on if you build it from scratch or get a precut kit.
    fEARful DIY Speaker Kits for Bass Guitar

12. n1as

n1as Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Well, I get a bit skittish at cabs that cost over about $350. Yes, I am cheap. And I'm not in dire need.

Though the system I've considered is the JBL EON ONE so perhaps my budget is closer to $800 for speaker and amp.

13. Avatar speaker cabs. .. they make a 15" with mid driver iirc. ?????

14. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn Supporting Member

Although Carvin is apparently out of business now, the Carvin LS1503, as Bill stated earlier, is perfect for this. I have a set of them and I use one for practicing bass at home. I also use it for playing guitar at home too....and I also use the set for Mains or as Monitors in a live show. Ive also used them as bass cabs when playing live as well. These are/were great all around 3way cabs!

15. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    $300? I've spent that on a single pedal!

This sounds like something I can get down with

dukeorock and n1as like this.
  16. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    DIY on the final finish of your choice, and it ain't an Acme or FearFul, but this is as cheap as you're gonna get for something decent, brand new:

Unfinished B1510 – Avatar Speakers

jmbjandfam likes this.
  17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Hey y'all. Gently used SWR Triad. Series I or II. A good friend of mine told me Series III is kind of meh, and I tend to believe him.
    Peace out!

Omega Monkey and The Nameless like this.
  18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    That makes you skittish of most cabs then, full range/flat or otherwise, just so you know :thumbsup:

19. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    • Full range, flat response
    • Loud enough for live use
    • Affordable
    Pick any two.

Daniel Piper likes this.
  20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I use older stock 1503's in my PA...the components were better than what was offered recently. IIRC, the greenboy design uses an updated 15" driver although I don't recall the specs. I don't run across many used locally, though.

CraigsList is a great jump-off point. Sellers are motivated to sell locally as shipping can be a real PITA.

Riis