Any Metallica fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by -Liam-, Mar 28, 2016.

1. -Liam-

-Liam-

Mar 16, 2016
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi,
    is anyone here a Metallica/ Cliff Burton fan? I was recently watching some live footage of them playing For Whom the Bell Tolls live in the 80s and noticed that Cliff Burton has an unusual strumming technique. I've since tried to duplicate it, but it hasn't worked. Notice how he strikes the strings over the pickups with an open palm very forcefully. If you hear the isolated bass track, it still sounds like regular strumming. Does anyone else do this? Or know how to? Also notice how he often braces his right hand against the body of the bass as opposed to the neck or the pickups when plucking the strings. Is that proper? Do you play that way? Sorry for the dumb questions, if that's what they turn out to be.

Here's the video I was talking about:

https://www.google.ca/url?
    sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8v97RvOTLAhXEbB4KHSWAB6gQtwIILTAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D22W38jJk81s&usg=AFQjCNFk0dNRvOmE7wemDrZxOlTHWkil1g&sig2=voakTYZJyZZIZAibvnsb2g&bvm=bv.117868183,d.dmo

2. The link seems to have gone kapoot.

3. -Liam-

-Liam-

Mar 16, 2016
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sorry about that.
    This should work better.

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  4. Wdnj5Vd_700wa_0.gif

-Liam- likes this.
  5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I love Metallica!!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    If you mean around the 1:50 mark then yes he is hitting all the strings. He is also playing a 4 note chord E E A e (open 7 9 9) so smashing all the strings works.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow. I'm getting old. I played that song when it was still pretty new in a garage band.

Anyway, Welcome to TalkBass @-Liam- !!!

8. -Liam-

-Liam-

Mar 16, 2016
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thank you!

9. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Love Metallica! Wouldn't call myself a die hard fan but I love and apreciate the band a their music. With that said cliff burton bass a one of a kind. He's what I call a " lead bass player ". Played bass as if he were a lead guitarist, just amazing. It's crazy how burton, newsted and Trujillo are all amazing gifted bassist in their own right. Obviously Trujillo and burton are ahead of newsted but newsted and the way he can play and sing, is on a level of his own. Great band, great music, great musicians, great bassist

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    blkpwdr and -Liam- like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021