1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any tips for a first band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by nicktheninja222, Jan 17, 2009.

1. nicktheninja222

nicktheninja222

May 29, 2008
    So I just joined the first band I've ever been in. Go me! I'm the guitarist, since they already have a bassist and I play both instruments. We're all 16. Any tips for a dude in his first band?

2. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, listen to your bass player.

:smug:

3. nicktheninja222

nicktheninja222

May 29, 2008
    Definitely.

4. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Keep the bass down on your EQ.

5. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
  6. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008

Learn to read music and wear nice clothes.

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Get started on a song list - pick about 30-40 songs that you all agree are cool. Arrange a 2-3 hour weekly band practice, where the intent is to make it through 5 songs at first, then 10, and keep pushing it up to about 20 or so. Be prepared for your first few band practices to not get through five songs, but make that your goal. Your 30-40 song list will change as you try songs and discard them due to difficulty, singer's level of comfort, etc. Make sure everyone commits to attempting to learn the songs outside of band practice, and make sure everyone is available through the week to help anyone else who is stuck. Give everyone an opportunity for input, too, and also an opportunity to sing. Drummers and bass players typically find singing and playing difficult, but don't let them cop out - allow them to say no, but make sure they at least try first.

And above all, don't be a d!ck. :)

8. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Also, take care with your volume levels - it's really difficult to make it through strange songs when you can't hear anyone else, and besides, how will you know if they're pulling their weight? Play as quietly as you are able, with the drums. And no noodling between songs or when someone is trying to talk, try something, or tune!

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    have fun

keep the volume down to a reasonable level

be super polite to whoever is letting you use their house to practice (i'm 40 and my old band still plays our old drummer's mom's parties for free and we haven't practiced in her house for 20 years)

make sure the drummer and bass player are locked in and that everyone else follow them.

have more fun

don't take yourself too seriously

play easy songs at first

have more fun

relax

10. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    +1 I wish my guitarist would do this.

He's all " Sorry man I dont play high bluesy stuff":rollno:

So then I go all treble and He's goes " He man you gotz no low end" IN wich I respond drop the EQd bass and stop off the damn octave pedal and I'll ease off the bass treble.;)

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  12. bassninja7

bassninja7

Mar 1, 2008
    Napoleon, OH
    http://www.myspace.com/publicface
    1. boot the bassist and YOU play bass.
    2. thanks us later.

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Establish your goals, ambitions, practice and gig rules and other important band decisions UP FRONT. Especially decisions involving money.

You don't want to find the band breaking up 6 months from now because you all argued about logistics when the music was going great.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Have fun.

It's going to be a long time before this gets serious.

Don't get caught up in teenage drama

Keep playing bass

15. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Play in time.
    Wear ear plugs.
    Don't sleep with anyone in the band and/or their GF/BF.

Don't take it too seriously, and learn from the experience - it won't be your last band.

16. dont play freebird

17. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    main thing is have fun

the other thing i'd say speaking from personal experience is be nice to other bands you play with,
    there seems to be a growing trend in younger bands where they view every jam night as a competition and act like mortal enimies towards any other band on the night.... dont be one of them

dont be the guitarist who drowns the bass out

be prepared for singer hissy fits and storm outs

be prepared for some older bands to treat you like amatuers (i met a few in the early days)

1st gig always goes one of two ways complete success or total failiure there is no inbetween dont let it go to your head and dont let it get you down

be warned playing guitar for long periods of time can cause the arrogance gland in the brain to swell and can lead to shrinking of the genitals

18. hahaha

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Establish a mission statement outling the goals of the band.

An example of a goal might be to pick 3 sets of songs that you all agree on, then learn them, practice until you can play them blind folded.

Another goal might be that you want to have at least 3 Gigs a month.

Then be a Band, don't just play together, hang out together, become friends, and show up at places together (make a scene) get to know the parents of your band mates at your age they might prove to be helpful.

Oh, one last thing wear cool clothes, don't look like bums. If you do, nobody will take your band seriously.

Hope this helps

blue

20. +1 and listen to the same music and some different music each.