Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Yamaha RBX 350 players out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sandman357, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Hey, I have been playing my 350 for 12 years and love it. Now that I am older and have more cash I have been looking for a replacement, but can't find one I like better. Any one else out there love their 350 or am I just nuts?
    ( I am new to this forum, so if you think I am nuts please be nice. :cool:
    Later,
    Sandman

2. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    Try a Yamaha BB series. I have a month old BB-X if you're interested :)

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I bought a Yamaha RBX 250 in '93 or '94 - it was my first bass! Excellent playability and comfort, good quality, decent sound. I sold it to a friend when I bought my Acacia fretless in '98, but recently I bought it back and fitted EMG pickups; now it is better than many basses that cost two or three times the price of the RBX. It's great!

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Another fan here! My RBX350 was my first bass. A couple of years ago I had it defretted, but I put it in the close it for years. In the meantime I have had 20 other basses in my rotation. I recently pulled it back out, and I'm in love with it now.

The P-bass sound is very good and the bridge pickup is really close to the bridge, so it gives you a super-jaco sound. The light weight is great and the neck has a great profile.

It just a bit noisy and it looks like a toy (mine has that pale blue paint), but what a great bass.

Hard to say what is a good replacement. If you are looking for something similar, a Fender P-Bass Special will give you a similar sound, but then, what is the point in doing that?

Just tell us what kind of sound my interest you and maybe you can get more recommendations...

5. I have not thought of changing pickups. I do not realy want to change the sound though. I am actually looking for a similar sounding 5 string.

6. Lateralus_

Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    Yeah, I have Yamaha RBX 350. Good tone for mid priced bass. I've been playing it for 10 yrs now. 5 yrs. ago I had a tremolo bridge and EMG's installed. Sweet.

7. funkymachine

funkymachine

Jun 7, 2006
    I owned an RBX350 bass for about 4-5 years. I've replaced the stock pickups with a set of Lace Sensors. Later, I've converted the original rosewood neck in a birdseye maple-cap with abalone dots (I love abalone dot-inlaid maple fretboards!) and installed vintage-style fretwire to give this bass an early '50s look (like a '51 P-Bass) before acquiring my black Epi Explorer bass in late 2003/early 2004.

8. tkfromla

tkfromla

Sep 30, 2009
    Sandman, my RBX350II was the first ordered custom lefty w/right handed stringing I've owned. it's as great today as it was in '92 - quiet, dead straight, stays in tune, classic simple P&J 3-control set up. I keep flats on it and it stays at the practice room. Take a look at www.Carvin.com's bass line up - I've been please w/the 3 purchased and particularly had fun building their B5 kit - it's as strong as those they built for me!