1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody use an FDeck HPF with electric?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LT131, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Any pros or cons? Which model? I'm itching to try an HPF!

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I do. Cleans up the lows. No cons to my ears. I use the latest version.

LeonD and dtsamples like this.
  3. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Thanks, would that be series 2 or 3? Does the volume have any real function when using with electric bass? Do you keep the volume all the way on?

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I have the series2.
    Volume full on the hpf.
    5 o'clock on freq. knob is lowest frequency, I set mine about 3 oclock.

5. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Thx, good info.

6. There are more than a few people doing this, despite the thus-far limited responses. Other people are using SFX' Thumpinator, and some are using Broughton Audio's L/H-PF. I'm sure there are a few other similar devices out there.

I've got the Fdeck III, used occasionally but mostly as a backup to using a Radial device.

Maybe more people will chime in a little later when the Western Hemisphere wakes up.

10cc likes this.
  7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Series 3
    I keep the volume all the way up. I'm not sure if lowering the volume does anything other than that. @fdeck would know for sure.

8. Same here. Set at 1-2 o'clock for bad rooms. Allows me to boost lows on my amp without mud.

9. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    It has been ordered. You guys made me do it.

Jim Carr, Groove Doctor and 10cc like this.
  10. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I have the series 3 that I bought to use with my Ashdown LB30. I use it sparingly and have it in a Lehle Dloop to switch it on and off.

Good for taking low note wattage stealing away from a tube amp and giving it a little more headroom.

11. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I use the Series 3 with active and passive electric basses prior to the regular amp input and in the effects loop of my SWR SM400S. It is excellent! There is nothing better for quick fixes in venues where the acoustics cause a lot of booming/muddy bass. In no case has subtracting frequencies done anything but actually add to the quality and clarity of my tone/sound. It's always in my gig bag.

tom-g likes this.
  12. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Series 3 but I'm not currently using it since I'm not playing live.

13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I run mine 1st in chain, before the amp, as opposed to in the fx loop

14. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    I use an FDeck Series III whenever I play electric live. I have never used the volume control at anything other than maximum. Not really sure why it's necessary at all. I always place the FDeck in my signal chain so that it's the last device in line before the signal goes to my preamp. In other words, if I'm using and effects board it's the last thing on the board. If I am not, it sits on top of my amp and the signal goes bass – tuner- FDeck-preamp.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I think I have a series 3 but it may be 2. Like @Marial I haven't used mine much lately since I haven't been gigging. It really helps tighten up the lows and add some punch to my ears but I don't really use effects at home so it sits in a drawer with some other gear. Honestly, I would buy one again in a heartbeat if mine died. If you play a 5er then they are even more useful.

16. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I use a clone of the series 2 that I built*. It's a subtle difference with electric because my rig has a really right low end and is pretty mid focused, but it keeps the PA in check when taking a DI. With my upright, it's a huge difference in clarity.

*I built it so that I could have a channel switching preamp that would work with the high impedance of the piezo pickup on my URB with 2 separate volume controls. Otherwise, I would have just bought one from FDeck because his prices are really reasonable.

17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I bought a series 2 for use with my upright. I had it held behind the tailpiece with rubber bands. The volume control was handy, the low frequency rolloff is excellent. The best part for me is the phase switch. It allowed me to turn up a lot louder before feed back.

I bought a Line 6 wireless unit. It wouldn't allow the FDeck between it and the bass (SCREECH). Now the FDeck sits on my amp. I really like it. I'd buy the one with a 9 volt input jack if I was to get another. I hate batteries.

18. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I almost got one but ended up with the Broughton simply because it has an HPF and LPF in the same box. Not as adjustable as the FD as I recall.

19. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Other pedals come and go on my Nano board, but my series 3 has been constant for years.

Nano_zps9czacd7a.

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Not to detract from this excellent product, but I bought Thumpinator, and it works pretty well. I don't leave home without it. It's right in front of my sansamp pddi.