1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone been involved in a car accident?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Mar 27, 2015.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey there, everyone. So yesterday, I was involved in a car accident. I won't go into the details, but while we each did some wrong, I admit I was more at fault. No argument there. Both vehicles more or less done for. Either way, I just feel like such a dumb*ss and am just stressed out. I figured sharing might make me feel a little better. Luckily, both of us our fine...my insurance is just gonna go up and I have to pay a ticket. :crying:

So, I was just wondering if any of you fellow TBers have been involved in car accidents. I'm sure lots have as its pretty common, but I'd still like to hear. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    You got lucky. Everyone is OK.
    Live and learn (please) and pay your ticket and higher insurance premiums.

I was in a wreck years ago where 3 people died. I walked away unhurt.
    The accident was the fault of the driver of the car in which they died.

There's no such thing as die and learn.

Like I said - your are fortunate.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I was once, back in 1988 I think it was. Someone turned left in front of me, I hit them at full speed. I cut my forehead, split my lip open, and hurt my wrist. My car was driveable enough that I followed the guy into his driveway, he had me come in and get some bandages, but not after I bled all over his carpet and couch.

-Mike

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Yeah, still recovering and scheduled for a second surgery from an accident last May. Beautiful sunny afternoon I decided to take my bike to work, within three miles of my house some jackass decides to run the red light. the sun was behind him, there were no distractions, he just went.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

As a non driver......Was in the back seat when the car was rear ended by a speeder on a city street while double parked. Car was totaled! I had a very sore neck and was pissed. They had to restrain me as I went after the driver! As a driver, I had a truck back into me damaging my grill and fender. His insurance paid for repairs.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  6. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    My wife was in an accident in October 2014 that nearly killed her. It wasn't her fault; she was moving to make a L turn when she got the green arrow and some broad in an SUV t-boned her doing 65-70.

I saw the car afterwards. Looked like a damn horseshoe. If anyone had been in the passenger side of that car, they would have been killed.

My wife had to leave her job (which was pretty stressful and physically demanding) and she has just never been the same. Constant pain, she never sleeps for more than an hour-to-90 minutes at a time without waking up in discomfort. She can't even stay in any one position for long without pain.

I do everything I can to help her, but I'm not much help.

7. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Compared to some of these, everything that has happened to me has been minor league. That includes getting hit on the freeway while riding the motorcycle. Gear prevented all but a couple bruises.

8. Mahcks

Mahcks

Dec 22, 2014
    texas
    I've been in one accident where my airbag deployed. Not gonna lie, that moment where you realize you can't stop fast enough sucks.

The other driver was at fault, but that moment haunts me anyway. the cards are dealt. All you can do is wait and see how it plays out.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Same here and counting my blessings. Just a few minor fender benders here and there over the years.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Back in the eighties, I was driving drunk, and I launched my '83 Mustang off an embankment, upside down, and sheared off a telephone pole, at around eighty miles and hour. I cracked every tooth in my head, and smashed the window with my skull. For days, I picked little pieces of glass out of my nose, ears, and tear ducts. I am thankful I was not killed, and even more thankful that my only drunk driving accident didn't kill or hurt an innocent person or people.
    I have not drank since 1992, and don't miss it a bit. This was, by far, my most dramatic car accident, and really should have killed me. That car looked like a crumpled up ball of tinfoil, and I'm pretty sure I started the woods on fire a little bit.

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Several, but never anything serious. Sometimes I was driving and sometimes I wasn't. My most profitable was being rear-ended by a semi.

12. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    December 2012 had a guy pull out of a parking lot turning left right in front of me. Didn't even have time to hit my brakes. Slammed his front end at about 50 mph, I'll never forget the sound of that impact...that dull crunch is nothing like what you hear in movies.

All parties were okay but insurance totaled my van. Huge bummer for me because I loved that van. It was immaculate (and paid off).

Accident was 100% the other guy's fault so my insurance was able to get me my deductible back, although that took about 6 months. I drive past the accident spot every day and always think about the accident when I do.

bolophonic likes this.
  13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was T-boned by an unlicensed driver a few years back, who then fled the scene. I walked away just fine, my truck was dented. It took about four days before the trauma from the impact to set in, but I was ultimately ok. Lost a little bit of work time and I had to spend a lot of time with my massage therapist and doctors.

Just today, on my way home with the babies in the car, I saw a wreck. Not terrible, but I cringe, knowing what a pain in the ass it all is. I drive like a granny most of the time. Total defensive driver here.

Fiset likes this.
  14. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Unfortunately I've been in a few. The times that I was driving it seemed like my adrenaline went through the roof. I had to really control myself. Most of my accidents were in my younger years (teenage and 20's). Man...reading that I sound like a really bad driver. When I was 17-21, I think I rear-ended a couple of people, and was a crazy teenage driver and did stupid stuff and got into accidents. As I got older, I was hit a few times where it wasn't my fault.

The scariest accident I was in was when I was in college. I was in the backseat of a car full of college kids, sitting behind the driver. Were were in a dark residential area with twisty roads, and I see this headlight zooming towards us. It was a car with one working headlight, also full of college kids. They smashed right into us (on the driver's side). The scariest part was watching that headlight coming right at us and not being able to do anything.

The stupidest thing I did was when I was in high school. I was with my friend and I was driving on a country road. The road was graveled, because they were going to pave it. So I sped up, and then braked and swerved a little, hoping to just do a little fish-tailing and scare my friend. Well, I lost control and we ended up upside down in a ditch. I'm the reason teenage boys have such high insurance rates!

Stewie26 likes this.
  15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Rear-ended years ago. I found out it's common to walk away from an accident with no scratches or apparent bruising, only to wake up in pain and with stiffness (be mature guys ;)) the morning after the accident. Sometimes your body can get stressed and overextended in terms of normal motion and it takes time for it to react like that.

16. I was in a bad one back in 82' when I fell asleep driving through the Shasta Mountains southbound on I5. I left WA, and thought I could take a nap somewhere in CA, and I was really getting tired going through the mountain range so I pulled over to sleep. I figured it would be hot in CA (it was summer time), but not in the mountains. It was 28 degrees, and I couldn't sleep because it was too cold - so I got back on the road ... big mistake! I Rolled my VW Bug multiple times, and I was out cold. When I woke up - I'd tore my left shoulder completely out of the socket, and the car was totaled. I thumbed a ride to a CA hospital, but they refused to help me so I called some girls in WA, and they came down and picked me up and took me home. I had the surgical repair, and was in a shoulder cast for 6 months.

17. stevensivak

stevensivak Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2014
    compared to the these posters the OP must feel pretty damn fine by now!

18. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Yep, thats me as well. Wasn't always the case, especially back in the days when I was a kid driving a 79 Trans Am. But now I'm a much different driver. Almost hyper-alert. Didn't help me in my accident in 2012 but has definitely helped me avoid a few other accidents.

19. Tom Gallo

Tom Gallo Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Outside Boston
    I've been in accidents twice. The first time I was in a line of cars leading up to an exit on the highway. Traffic was stop and go. I decided to just go to the next exit and started to accelerate and traffic stopped again and I hit the car in front of me. It wasn't a high speed thing, so nobody got hurt. I wasn't wearing a seat belt and I hit my head on the windshield. I have a hard head, so I didn't get hurt. But ever since then I always wear a seat belt.

Another was more recently. I was pulling out of our drive way and didn't see the pickup truck headed my way. There was a car parked on our side of the street which sort of screened the pickup. We arrived at the same point at the same time and *bam*. Low speed impact, no injuries. I now look both ways at least twice before pulling out now. :)

20. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've been in a few but none in which anyone was hurt (thanks largely to seatbelts). The last one involved a guy going through a red light while he was yakking away on his cell phone. I could see him coming so I sped up to get out of his way. He still nailed the rear passenger side of the car but at least he missed my girlfriend in the front passenger seat. I never take it for granted now that cars will stop at red lights.