Anyone has good relations with the guitarists here? ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CrazyArcher, Mar 5, 2006.

1. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    ...For the sake of difference? :eyebrow:

Come on guys, most of you says that all the guitar players are introverted s-holes who don't wanna har anybody besides themselves. Can anyone say someting different? Okay, it can be true sometimes, but it can't be uiversally true :smug:

My case proves it very well:
    All the guitar players whom I worked with demonstrated a great amount of musical wisdom. None of them was locked on being 'in the front' and soloing, and if I asked to get some more room for my sound - I got it without a glitch. Actually, they let me do anything I want in my space, knowing that I try to do my best. :bassist: They all understand the importance of the low-end in the sound, at least at the level of "otherwise it will sound crappy". (Well, one of the guitar player I used to play with was somewhat into jazz and funk, so his respect towards the bass is explainable.:p )

Does anyone else here share my happiness?
  2. britrit

Jan 22, 2006
    A lot of guitarists are annoying, but the guitarist I play with is amazing. We get along so well, we can jam on any genre, we are both acceptive of each others advice, and we respect each other. Everytime we play together, we make a few new songs (well, the basics of a song...) When I jam with him by myself, it just works so well.
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My guitarist is my best friend, seriously :) On of those guys you can tell everything and are always there for you. We've shared our part of trouble..
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Jazz guitarists aren't as bad. They are used to being out of the spotlight like us bassists. I'm good friends with my guitarist.
  5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    My guitarist is one of my best friends. Not only is he a fabulous guitarist who isn't all about soloing and being up front the whole time, he's also a great kid. It's good to get along with the people you play music with, especially when you're young IMO.
    Edit: Jazzin'--I dig the Questionable Quintet, but am I missing something because your site says there are only 4 guys in the band. That would be a Quartet, right?
  6. There are two guitarists in my "band" (a group that gets together every Friday for a 3 hour jam). Both respect all the elements in a band and we all think about the music as a whole. Heck, I'm not even playing stuff that I listen to and I'm having a blast. That says a lot for them.

Paul Mac
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I don't put it on one particular instrument. I have played with some great guitarists who were also great people. I will say, however; lead singers are asses! ALL OF 'EM!!!
    I stand by my statement.
  8. A lot of people are annoying. I don't get along with most who fit in that category, regardless of what instrument they may or may not play.
  9. maybe thats why its questionable :)

as for me, i have a good relation with my guitar player, as he is really good at what he does and has inspired me to play completly different...i like to think that i have a somewhat good relation with him :)
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I consider the guitarist in my current band a friend. He is a mofo on the guitar and has considerable knowledge of music theory, etc. However, he has no ego problems at all, and never showboats on stage, although he can really tear it up sometimes. He's a nice guy who definitely appreciates my bass playing and never hesitates to compliment me. He's cool.
  11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    One of my best friends is also one of the most amazing guitarists I've ever met. He's a great guy, and he actually acknowledges the importance and versatility of the bass.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    Guitarists I've always been cool with. It seems to be keyboard players that I really can't get along with.
  13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Well I just started playing in a band. The guitarist started the band, and has transcribed most all of the music for everybody else in the band. He also has a very good amount of patience for the rest of the band, no matter how many times we screw up.
  14. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    The guitar player in my band is my twin brother!!! Our relation is absolutely good! :D
  15. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    For some reason, I always got along best with the guitarists in the bands I've been in so far but never really "clicked" with the keyboard players. For some reason it was only keyboard players whose attitude seemed to radiate that they felt that bass was "boring".

This may very well have been pure coincidence, though. I've only met one ******* guitarist so far but. He couldn't back up his bragging with his playing skills, though.
  16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I have a great guitarist friend that I've been playing with for years. He's talented, generous, actually has a very distictive style and I learn alot from him.
  17. My guitarist is my best friend, when we first started jamming together he was abit egotistic, it was all about the guitar w**king, but over the years he's calmed down alot, he even admitted bass is alot harder than he thought it was :smug: :)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just like other people I have met some great ones and some control freaks.
  19. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    The lead guitarist in my band is 21 - way younger than me. Heck, his dad (the band leader) is younger than me too! (Sigh) But he's a good kid, and very knowledgeable about music. I can't mention a guitarist to him that he hasn't heard of. We usually carpool to the gigs and he always brings a fistful of interesting CDs. Saturday we heard everything from Wes Montgomery to Brian Sutton to Vito somebody w/White Lion (80s hair metal). And he loaned me the first 2 DVDs from Ken Burns' Jazz miniseries. I shoulda been half as well educated at his age! I just hope he ditches his drunken idiot girlfriend soon. But that's another thread, isn't it...
  20. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    the most important advice i can give you is that if you don't like someone...don't play with them. playing music is the best way to make friends. if you can connect with someone musically...there is an instant bond. i've made many great friends by answering an add for a bassist. as for bands...only play with those who you respect. try and play with musicians who are better than you. and never allow someone else to dictate your creative freedom. if your guitarist thinks you are too busy or doesn't like it when you slap...go find someone who likes those things.

...but then again, there are TONS of great bands where band members can't stand the sight of each other.