Anyone know anything about this bass!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vince Bertolani, May 10, 2021.

1. Yeah

2.6%
  2. Nope

94.7%
  3. I'll contact you personally

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Screenshot_20210510-093227_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210510-100033_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210510-100013_Facebook.jpg

Outbush, KaraQ and EatS1stBassist like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I know 3 things: it's pretty, it's got 5 strings, and it's not mine. :)

3. That's obvious I said anything helpful would be nice, even though that was very nice... anyone else please!?

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I tried some google searches but no obvious hits, too much "CBD oil" spam. Good luck, hoping someone on here knows. It's rare that the experts here are all stumped.

Yellow Bang66 and DJ Bebop like this.
  5. Yeah me too...

6. It's got good pickups and hardware and a great preamp from the pickups manufacturers. Screenshot_20210510-100021_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210510-100021_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210510-100042_Facebook.jpg

bholder likes this.
  7. A few more pictures might bring something to light.

8. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The pickups could be a lead, though it may take some extra work. I see http://delano.de is the maker's site, and they've got an Artist page as well as recourse for inquiries. Maybe they'd recognize that make by a luthier's initials?

Vince Bertolani and bholder like this.
  9. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I'll guess it's a project bass. Tuners hanging off the back of the hs doesn't look pro to me. The volute is odd also. And does it not have strap pegs? (can't see any)

10. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    On further review, that's my take as well.

The way that one switch is sunk into the wood is another indicator; whoever installed it did something wrong when torquing it. And that knob is almost on top of the pickup, close enough to actually interfere with some playing techniques. Moreover, the pickup routing? Not straight or even. Same for the rear cover.

I'm starting to think the CBD² is more what it sounds like, and not someone's initials

Vince Bertolani, dkelley and JIO like this.
  11. Heck of a good project. Looks extremely playable and I bet it sounds awesome! Not sure what the fret wire is made of.... can't be all that eventually darkened from sitting, it must be something darker than the shiny nickel we're used to. Almost like something akin to bell brass warwick frets as they age and need a bit of a cleaning?

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Looking at the end of the fretboard and how the tuners line up, I'd say it's a homebuilt (albeit a darn decent one). CBD is either a joke, or the builder's initials or band or something.

13. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    If you think this one is wild, you should see the THC² version.

14. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Yeah, the woodwork looks crude. Poorly finished. I'm going to guess a home build with some nicer innards being used.

Vince Bertolani, MegaSwing and JIO like this.
  15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Ummm, I'm not seeing any pictures.

16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    It looks like a gallant effort, with all good intentions. But...its symmetry is suspect and the builder must not have been quite up to the task. The ingredients could definitely produce a great bass.

17. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Crafted By Delano

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  18. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    Milford, PA
    Crafted By Dave?. Made with CBD oils...dunno but it looks nice

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  19. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The fretboard looks like wenge. The neck appears to be maple with purpleheart stringers. The body wings look like they might be pecan. Placement of the string tuners is, erm, "unique". Something about the truss rod access looks odd as well.

Some things look well done, others could use improvement. Based off of the glue lines, carving of the volute, and the ever-so-slight fudge of the pickup cavity, I'd say this is a handmade one-off.

20. I know I like it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021