1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone using an AI Coda with a 4ohm cab?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lowEndRick, Mar 6, 2013.

1. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I am thinking about making some changes to my rig and somehow I imagine this might be a really light and versatile rig for playing small to medium size rooms. I am looking at pairing my 4ohm schroeder mini 12+L with an AI Coda Series III or higher. I believe this would solve all my gig needs and allow me to streamline my current gear arsenal. I could sell off my Series I Contra and my Genz head to fund the purchase.

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

not a direct answer, but maybe it'll help stir the pot: i've run my focus 3 at 2.67 nominal ohms many times with no complaints from the amp whatsoever.

3. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Thanks yodedude2. That's good to know. I hear all the AI amps can run at 2ohms without problems.

I am also curious (altho I realize I might not find many people who have this exact rig) to know how this proposed rig would handle moderately loud gigs with grand piano, multiple plugged in acoustic guitars, mandolin and light percussion. Venues of 200 to 800 seats. Enough power? Enough dispersion of sound/volume? Would it retain an authentic acoustic sound?

I'd be giving up my Genz 6.0 head that has plenty of power for my needs and great mid scooping. But it tends to sound too hot sometimes and I lose that acoustic vibe.

I played a Series III Contra while on the road in Florida. The first night was a 100 seat room and it sounded amazing. Plenty of power and the sound was so transparent. Next night was a 250 seat small theater and I struggled to be heard all night. I figured the Coda with more power than the Contra and maybe an extension cab would have been the fix.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I bought my 4 ohm Acme B-1 from a retiring bassist who used it as an extension for his Coda with no problems. You'll be fine.

5. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I used my new Coda with my Schroeder 4ohm cab this past weekend. I was surprised at the feedback I got initially. I dialed it out with the high pass filter and everything seemed ok from there on out. I got a pretty decent natural sound at moderate volume. The dispersion of sound was very effective so we didn't need any bass in the monitors.

I hardly ever got feedback with previous rigs and I am wondering what may have caused it this time. Any thoughts?
    I placed the Coda on top of the Schroeder and wonder if this had anything to do with it. Maybe place the Coda on the floor instead? Or use the tilt back option? Phase reverse?