1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone using rolling hydraulic lift carts to load your heavy gear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Isotonic, May 14, 2019 at 12:37 PM.

1. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    I must confess that I love the sound of heavy old cabs and EV and JBL K drivers. I know that there are lightweight options that sound very good, but they are all pretty pricey. I am getting older and my bones and joints are starting to give me warnings.

Today I discovered this. I could get one for my garage and one for my storage. At the gig, I will need a little help, but when I am alone at home I should be set.

Thoughts or experiences?

https://www.toolots.com/manual-sing...RIUgW9Det2Dd9ZrJYaAsMzEALw_wcB#productDetails

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    It weighs over 92 lbs. Who's going to lift it?:D

3. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    Yeah, too heavy to take along. But they roll. I figure I can get the cab on the lift with the help of a 2 wheeler. Then roll it to the SUV, lift cab up and tilt/controlled tip into the vehicle.

4. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    You can also use it for repairs, getting the cab up to a comfortable and safe level for service.

5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    The shelf is only 28"x17"...seems to small to be maneuvering big cabs around for repairs.
    Just sayin'.

Wisebass likes this.
  6. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    As long as it's stable/centered at the right height, maneuvering should simply be to roll it how you like.

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Isotonic :)

Get the real thing! For lifting things...

nothing beats a forklift...

[​IMG]

...or two!

[​IMG]

:D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

8. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    You guys are being mean to meeee!!!! lol

MattZilla, elgecko and Wisebass like this.
  9. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008

mikewalker and MattZilla like this.
  10. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :yawn: :sleep:!!!!

[​IMG]

Wise

11. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    My EX wife helped me lift my Peavey 122lb 1820 cab into my wagon once..notice I said EX and Once.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I have motorcycle lift that is somewhat similar. When the goal is to lift a >700lb motorcycle, and then hold it in position indefinitely so you can work on it, this sort of contraption makes sense.

Given the weight of music gear, it's generally easier and faster to work as a team than use a foot actuated hydraulic lifter. First of all you have to lift your gear onto the shelf before you pump the hydraulic ram to raise the platform. The lifting action on this sort of device will be pretty slow. Once you get the platform to the desired height, you will have to slide your gear off onto another surface. Depending upon the gear, transferring it from the lift to the target location could be a bit risky. Sorry but this doesn't sound like a very eloquent solution to me.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 9:05 PM
    Wisebass, Stumbo and Isotonic like this.
  13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    A small trailer and ramps is likely cheaper (or close) and easier, and will work anywhere . . .

Isotonic likes this.
  14. My adult son is quadriplegic. His mother and I both have older vans with a lift for his large chair. I seem to use it as much, or more for my heavy equipment. People who don't know the family situation always say I'm lazy or smart when I'm at gigs loading or unloading. I just say it came with the vehicle. But, you may want to look into a lift van option too .

15. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    Get a 30 pound 210, a 40 pound 212, an 8 pound Class D head and that's it. I've played small pubs with the 210, big venues with the 212 with help of the house PA and that's it.

If you need a tube amp, get an Ampeg PF50T.

There really isn't need for more these days. The PA carriers most of the volume load. IEM or wedges give you your sound on stage.

I used to play an Ampeg SVT-II with a 215 or 810 cab. I gave that up a long time ago. If I ever have a roadie, I might go back to it, but that's it.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 8:11 PM
    mikewalker and Isotonic like this.
  16. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    Save the $500+ that you are looking to spend on a couple of these and put it toward a new lightweight cab that you can move (everywhere) by yourself.
    ...unless you really want to buy stuff like this, then I will stop trying to talk you in to buying bass gear.

mikewalker and Wasnex like this.
  17. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I used to drive a forklift in a warehouse. We also used hydraulic hand pump carts for moving pallets as well as scissor jacks for lifting equipment. All do a good job. A truck with a hydraulic tail gate works for load-in and load-out of gear cases. But expensive.

Can’t believe the low cost of the trollies that you linked to.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 9:38 PM
    mikewalker likes this.
  18. Isotonic

Isotonic

Oct 19, 2011
    Round Rock TX
    Ready to ROCK!!!

Wheelchair lift van BlockDivision pulley.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get one of those ambulance hydraulic gurney stretcher. They do a self load/unload thing. You push it up to the back and somehow the wheels fold as you push, then they drop down as you unload. And you can leave it on stage as a speaker stand - These are the best for metal.

mikewalker likes this.
  20. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    As I've aged (like a good wine) I've come to appreciate newer, lighter equipment.
    In my mind buying new heavy equipment to move heavy old equipment is self-defeating.
    Let the young ones learn the pleasure of the schlep and let the heavies roam free.

Wasnex and Isotonic like this.