1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Arco Jazz Bass...moving it forward

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Ben Harris Jzz, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    I am wanting to push the art of jazz Arco bass bowing forward. I would love to see jazz bass bowing celebrated and pushed to the front lines like other solo instruments. This is a practice piece for my next CD single/youtube video working on Autumn Leaves. I definitely open to good conversation and moving JAZZ ARCO BASS forward.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Check out the work of master improviser (and frequent TB/DB poster) @damonsmith . Damon is a true DB adventurer and he uses a broad variety of arco techniques in his work.

Forward to the avant garde!

3. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    Thank you much!

Sam Sherry likes this.
  4. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020

Sam Sherry and damonsmith like this.
  5. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

damonsmith likes this.
  6. Great topic! I mostly just play straight ahead jazzy stuff, so I try to play stuff with the bow that I can't really play on the upright with my fingers and sound more like a horn player etc.

The quarantine has got me checking more funky music lately. I just transcribed this Joe Dart bass line morning, which I think ends up sounding more like a fiddle tune than a funky bass line but it's still fun on the upright.

7. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    Man I thought I heard Tower of Power bassist Rocco Prestia type bass line. I will definitely upload some other bowing stuff...and please keep me up on your work also! Ben

8. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    I do like mixing Jazz with Funky Music...I enjoy all styles including classical but made money primarily playing Jazz. This is my take on Summertime.

Who da Ville, Silevesq and Joshua like this.
  9. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    Thank you

10. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    Nice version of Summertime, here's mine bass/double bass with the bow, enjoy!

11. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    Good job keeping moving forward Ben!

12. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
  13. Ben Harris Jzz

Ben Harris Jzz Guest

Mar 18, 2020
    :)

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021