1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Ampegs Over-Rated?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sweetcharlie454, Apr 27, 2010.

1. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    Just Throwing it out there, over the years i've been gigging, several bassists come up to me and laugh at my peavey rig, Its always Ampeg this and Ampeg that, is AMpeg as good as the magazines cook it up to be?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    in my opinion, it depends on which model. some of them definitely are great (vintage SVT's, SVT-VR, V4B's and B15's) and some of them are not.

3. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    Ampegs are great if you like the Ampeg tone. price is high but well worth it if thats what you are looking for. I love the sound of the SVT Pro 4 head with an 8/10 cab myself I just dont love it enough to pay that much for it, and im not big on the weight. I prefer 35lb cabs and 6 lb heads over the ampeg sound and 300 lbs

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Musicians judge gear by how it sounds, not by the logo it carries. The technical term for wannabies who can't see past labels is 'wankers'. :smug:

5. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    Ha, couldn't have said it better myself mcapote. I admit that they do sound great, but break the bank even more than your back!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    cheap ampegs are "only ok for me, dawg." i like their hybrids but i think there's better out there. their tubes amps are unsurpassed imho. like any product line, there's stuff i like and some i don't. but the svt's, b-15's, and v4's, as well as several guitar amps they make/made, are kickass.

7. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Forget those guys who laugh at your Peavey rig. If someone does that, just remember who is the one at the gig playing that night.

8. +1 ;)

9. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    Nice points, thanks guys.

10. Seidell

Seidell

Jun 26, 2009
    Queens, NY
    There really isnt a definite yes or no. It really depends on what YOU are looking for and what YOU want to sound like. Hell I sold all my Ampeg svt 4pro and 8x10 to get all my hartke gear because I like how i sound more. My old guitar player only saw labels and made it into a giant issue...lol.....anyway if you like the peavy sound over the ampeg.....do you...if you are't happy, try everything til you find the gear that makes you sound like you.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Ampegs produce a tone that is universally lauded and recognized as a standard bearer in the industry for decades. That, in and of itself, makes them over-rated a bit. People who don't know anything about bass amps know the name, Ampeg, and assume that anything else is 2nd rate. I had this discussion with a fellow at a guitar store, he had always seen guys using Ampegs and that was the standard. He was looking at the BA115 combo, not because it was all he could afford, but because it said Ampeg on it. I introduced him to a GK MB210 and a Markbass CMD 112 combos, and he started to re-think his position.

That said, there is no way to get the Ampeg tone without getting an Ampeg. It isn't a standard in the industry because it sucks.

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't think Ampeg is overrated, but I dothink that Peavy is, and always has been, underrated.

Peavy has consistently made really good stuff since the beginning and I think the only reason people scoff at it is because it's so inexpensive. For some poeple, it's easier to listen with their eyes than with their ears!

13. sweetcharlie454

sweetcharlie454

Apr 16, 2010
    Isn't Ampeg the "self proclaimed" Standard of excellence? haha

14. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Ampeg is the Fender of bass amps.

15. subopposite

subopposite

Jul 23, 2008
    Vermont
    I would just simply say "yes" as far as the new and "heck no" as far as earlier.

I have a 15" combo that I was not impressed with at all, except when I play my Jag through it. But I hated it for a while. Decent tone, no power.

In ending, it doesn't really matter if you use the best or average stuff. A great player using average equipment will smoke an average player using the best equipment any day.

Too bad we can't buy bass playing skill.

16. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I was all about Ampeg as a "Newjack" bass player. Playing drums for so many years in metal bands all I ever saw was Ampeg and SWR. So when I sold the drums and bought bass gear I went straight to Ampeg and bought the best I could afford. I now play Carvin because you, IMHO, can't compete with the money to quality (build and sound) ratio. There is a lot more out the for the same price OR cheeper that sounds just as good or better than Ampeg. Take your bass to the local store with a few hours to kill and try EVERYTHING until you hear what you imagine yourself to sound like. Don't forget to twist some knobs and the head and your bass, that is what they are there for.

17. soupninja

soupninja

Jan 3, 2010
    I dont know if there overrated I love mine, but I also had a peavy tour I loved as well(just hated that oct knob)..like most people say its your ears that do the choosing..not the brand name..or at least it should be...
    I did however see about 4 used svt4 pros at the GC over on hulen...So people are deffinatly trading for somthing lighter..i assume that because you cant get much heavyer from an svt4 pro

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    You'll learn soon all gear is overrated. It all sucks to someone.

19. Colonel129

Colonel129

Feb 23, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I ran an all MarkBass Rig not more than 2 months ago, and I have just completed my Ampeg V4-B/SVT-810EN set up and I couldn't be happier! I'm young, and a heavy rig will do nothing but keep me in shape. And if I can't handle carrying around a few extra pounds to get the sound I want... then why am I playing music? Tough it out! In all honesty, I play the gear I play, for me. If that Peavy gear gets the job done, and you are happy with the end results, then use Peavy. If you choose to rock Ampeg, then do it! Bass equipment is a tool of production. I'm not going to use a marker if I'm trying to create an oil on canvas painting. Pick the right gear for whatever work of art you are trying to create.

and people...

STOP USING GEAR AS STATUS SYMBOLS!!!!!!
    STOP ATTACHING SENTIMENTAL VALUE TO INANIMATE OBJECTS!!!!!!!
    START FEELING PASSION FOR THE MUSIC YOU ARE TRYING TO CREATE!!!!!!

I rest my case.

20. chopthebass

chopthebass

May 20, 2009
    I've never used the valve heads but some say they are the holy grail of bass heads. I had an Ampeg solid state 450w head (SVT 3-pro? can't remember). I was immensly underwhelmed by it in a live situation. It really didn't seem that loud and the tone was pretty average.
    I have owned Peavey in the past and also used a number of different stacks and you can't beat them for bang-for-buck. I thought the 700w Fire??? head they made was pretty potent.
    There are many, many bad reviews of the SVT valve head having reliability issues. I would never own a valve head as I would be worried about the roadworthiness. And I would never own an Ampeg after my experiences.
    Ultimately you need to follow your ears. Good luck!