Are the new Darkglass neo cabs really...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uwrossl, Apr 2, 2020.

1. uwrossl

uwrossl Blues/Soul/Rock N Roll Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2009
    ......so bad that nobody is talking about them and or reviewing them?

Looking for a new 212 4ohm cab and was really surprised by the lack of info other than the specs on the DG NE series.

Don't think I've seen a launch of a new product line that months after the release has no audio or video demos out there. At least that I can find anyway. It's almost like DG themselves is embarrassed by them? Not really any chatter to speak of in the DG Users club. So far I've seen 2 people post that they've bought one.

So are they garbage? Or are they so good that people can't stop playing them long enough to record examples and a review? Or just meh and not worth talking about? Or have I just somehow been unable to find the reviews and audio examples?

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    We're living difficult times. I don't think people are interested in buying expensive gear right now.

BassmanPaul, RSBBass, MDBass and 5 others like this.
  3. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA

Here ya go. The reviews from regular folks here and elsewhere have been overwhelming positive. That could be "I just spent money on this shiny new Thing bias", but I don't think so. Plus if anything they are reasonably priced compared to other similar brands.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Seems like a pretty unfair post by implying they are 'garbage' and Darkglass is 'embarrased' by them. What are you expecting? What are audio examples played over the internet through your computer speakers going to tell you? People don't just go out and buy new speaker cabinets just because.

Sorry, I just don't understand the negativity.

5. I absolutely love my DG212N, best new cab I've had in along time and I've had a lot of brands. I think the issue is capturing an accurate representation of the cab to share. I've been trying to record demos of it and I just don't have the proper gear to actually represent it online. When I record a demo it sounds nothing like what you actually hear sitting with the amp, it's frustrating. I'd find one from a shop that will allow you to return it if you're not happy, and give it a try yourself, it's killer.

6. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Technically he just posed a question. The cabs have been out for a while with no review examples. Yes while you can't know what it will be like while you're standing in the room with the cab, it is possible to get a sense of how the cab sounds. There are at least some reviews coming out. I have yet to see anyone say anything that wasn't a glowing recommendation on these new cabs. Also the price thing gets me. The pricing seems smack dab in the middle of equivalently spec'd cabs. If anything, for what you are getting they seem like a bargain.

Inara, uwrossl and BrentSimons like this.
  7. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    heres a talkbass review. not a sound clip, but they seem happy with the purchase..

HNCD: Darkglass 212N

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    I dig the DG tone but it's not something that I'd use in my current band. I've owned a fair bit of their stuff and every piece has that signature DG sound somewhere in it. Based on that experience I'd infer that these cabs offer that as well.

I'd wouldn't mind to try one out, but I'm not planning running out and buying one either.

uwrossl and BrentSimons like this.
  9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just bc you haven't seen anything much about them is no basis at all to infer that they're junk.
    Or tjhat DG is "embarrassed by them."
    DG build really nice heads, if you like what their heads do.
    I'd be surprised if their cabs weren't at the same quality level.

10. uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Thank you. Hilarious how hurt people get over things these days and any bit of sarcasm is clearly lost on them. It's exactly why click bait titles like this one work and get people riled up on their soap boxes. I wanted to know more about these cabs and a bunch of searches yielded nothing. For a well known and reputable company that is strange. Previous reputation and price point is what peaked my interest on the cabs.

Obviously I know Darkglass produces quality gear. To that point though neither of your comments had anything useful about the cabs as neither of you have used them either. You mention their heads and pedals etc. but nothing about the cabs which is the point. There's very little on them. "Garbage" and "Embarrassed" were what I thought to be pretty obvious hyperbole...and I didn't infer that they were garbage...simply asked a question. I'm not going to buy a cabinet from a company because they make a pedal I might like. That doesn't mean automatically that the cabs are amazing and cabs also tend to be very different from one line to another in voicing. All three Aguilar lines are very differently voiced from the GS to the DG to the SL. Buying one of those cabs because I liked say for instance...the Aguilar overdrive pedal...is absurd.

Also enjoy that the focus was on "garbage" and "embarrassed" and completely ignored this part "Or are they so good that people can't stop playing them long enough to record examples and a review?"

If anyone is listening to bass demos on computer speakers and basing assumptions from that then that's on them. And seriously? What are reviews or audio samples going to tell me? I would think the concept and point of reviews is pretty self explanatory. What are the examples going to tell me? Well I know how each of the cabinets are voiced for Aguilar. I know that picking up a used GS212 is of zero interest to me based on that voicing. I know that the SL's are some what of a middle ground between GS and DB and that the DB's are mid forward. So it would seem it can tell you quite a bit. Certainly don't think it's unreasonable to think that a company like Darkglass would have a similar presence in regard to their cabinets as they do with their pedals and heads when it comes to reviews. That said... it's also not unheard of for companies to toss a product into the market before its ready just to have something in that category when it's not their bread and butter and maybe haven't yet refined it as well as their other lines.

Thanks for confirming my point and reasoning on looking for more info.

MYLOWFREQ and Inara like this.
  11. uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks! This is the type of thing I was looking for. Didn't ever come up on repeated searches I did and I've watched several other reviews from this guy on strings etc. Appreciated!

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  12. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    It's odd, I basically posted the exact same premise a week or so ago in the existing New Darkglass cabs thread. I also found it strange that there have been no formal video reviews. I also don't think that Gregor and his team who normally do great reviews did the best job on this one. Obviously Ida is an acess bass player all the way around, and maybe they intended to show the versatility of the cab, but to not show it basically taking someone's head off was a poor choice IMO.

That being said there are many many examples of really favorable reviews out there of mostly the 212. I have seen one of a 410 as well. Frankly if I was to sink a lot of money into one of their cabs it would likely be the models they have hinted at.. the 810 and 412.

uwrossl likes this.
  13. uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks for the response! Your unboxing and take on them was one of the few that I could find. It's fairly rare that you type in the name and model of a piece of gear and add talkbass at the end of it in a google search and nothing comes up on the first page of the talkbass responses. I feel you on the reviews and sound clips. They are not the easiest thing to get across properly and why I have respect for those that do it. Cabs in particular I think are hard due to mic'ing them as well as needing a proper room. Whereas amps/pedals/basses/strings etc. can all just be run direct. Cheers

chazsundance likes this.
  14. Grandma

Grandma

Apr 1, 2020
    Second what chazsundance has said. Spent quite some time debating between a Bergantino HDN212 and the Darkglass DG212N. Went with the Darkglass, and was not disappointed also helped that this cab saved me like 300bucks.The cab did rattle a bit but it turned out I just needed to really screw down the plastic Darkglass logo. Other than that fit and finish is on par if not slightly better than other manufacturers offerings at this price point. My only piece of advice is if you are going to spring for one pair it with a Darkglass head, get's the thing to really sing.

uwrossl likes this.
  15. uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Thx! I love the look and finish of the cabs for sure. I liked the DG900 well enough but the Tone Hammer 700 really suits my sound so don't plan on moving away from that. Darkglass saying these cabs are voiced specifically for their amps was interesting and wanted to see/hear reviews of exactly what they meant by that since they mostly known for overdriven sounds and harder rock/metal genres. It sounds like some of that maybe is attributed to the crossover though rather than the cab itself overall. Cheers

Peng likes this.
  16. Grandma

Grandma

Apr 1, 2020
    Rehearsal space in Brooklyn has a Tone Hammer 700 through an Aguilar DB 810 so I understand the love. Great amp for sure. As for the Darkglass stuff I'm using a Microtubes which is totally cool with handling a lot of dirt. Though I primarily play somewhat clean it is dope. Wish I could just toss the cab in the whip and drive down so I can post a small clip with it paired with the Tone Hammer for you, but unfortunately given the current situation everything around these parts is on serious lockdown. Can tell you I'm getting a smidge more low end from this thing as opposed to the Aguilar but those two cabs aren't exactly apples to apples.

uwrossl likes this.
  17. uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    That's good to know because I know some 212's can get a little thin in the low end. Heard quite a few people mention that on the Ampeg 212av. DB's are pretty mid voiced for sure. I run the Tone Hammer mostly clean as well and get the hair I need from pedals. I liked the DG I borrowed for a gig. Worked great for vintage tones etc. The Aguilar just seemed to work a little better for what I was after but I did like the extra headroom on the DG900 for sure. The fact that you're running your DG mostly clean through it and dig it is good to know and helpful.

Our lockout space down in LA Arts District is just sitting there unused and unloved as well. At this point I miss hanging there with everyone about as much as I'm missing the music and it's a shame with all this time on our hands to not be getting together. Gotta stay in and be part of the solution though rather than the problem.
    Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 3.24.53 PM.png

Jb4, Benko, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  18. The general consensus from my friends who have played them is that they are ok but there are better cabs for less available. Most seem to prefer the Schroeder, Mesa, and Bergantino offerings in comparison.

mmbongo and uwrossl like this.
  19. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Bass cabs are a bit less user freindly to record and build reviews than amps or effects. I am making a big assumption that this may be why there isn't the usual influx of vids. Especially when Darkglass have been one of the leaders in actually making it super easy to bypass using cabs altogether. I must admit that I am the first to get swept up in new DG excitement but am super happy with my 90kg Mesa or 20kg 2x12 that it wasn't really a thing for me. I am sure they would be awesome though.

20. I’d love to have their 212 or 215 but the situation for me and I’m guessing many others these days is that cabs have become more of a stage monitoring thing. It’s difficult to drop over a grand on a cab when I’m always running direct to foh. Selling the cabs I already have is too big of a pain with today’s insane shipping prices and I don’t want big bass cabs sitting all over my house. tone wise I’d rather buy another bass or another pedal as those will actually be heard in the PA. In other words I don’t have a Darkglass cab for the same reason I don’t have a Mesa subway cab or a greenboy cab or a barefaced cab. It’s a lot of money to spend on a stage monitor.

Evil Funk likes this.