1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are these two cheapo basses the same?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  2. The description on the bottom one? It's describing an SG-type bass.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The first one is a Maestro, a cheapy Asian brand that is sold under like a thousand different names.

The second looks like the some one, with the name Photoshoped out from the headstock.

4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    $70 for a bass? If you buy one please do a review on it. I've bought Douglas or imitation stuff in the past but never kept it. For all the dough I've spent on lesser compromises I could have bought a white limo. Save up for a tried & true instrument. It's worth the investment.

5. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Well, close to 100.00 shipped. Stick a 37.00 GFS pickup in it and play the crap out of it.

6. The bridges are quite different. Mahogany versus maple body. "Wilkinson" versus "Sidewinder" pickup.

I'd say they are different. And the product description on the mahogany model leaves a lot to be desired.

7. Get an SX from rondomusic.com instead. Have someone do a basic tuneup (unless you know how to do it) and you have a far better and more fun instrument to play.

8. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    The "New" one is...

"...classic SG shape as a bass guitar, this electric bass in shinny black color is nicely affordable and easy to play thanks to its short-scale, narrow neck and total fret access. It features a carved SG mahogany body for a vintage bass tone, a single SideWinder bass humbucker pickup, rosewood fretboard with dot inlay, and chrome hardware including a fully-adjustable 3-point bridge."

I just had to put it in because of the SHINNY....:D

They look the same to me....except for the Black nut on the Maestro and the white one on the Shinny one...:D

Shinny...that there is funny.:D

9. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! Supporting Member

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  11. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    "Offering classic SG shape as a bass guitar, this electric bass in shinny black color is nicely affordable and easy to play thanks to its short-scale, narrow neck"

Wait, what?:confused:

12. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    "Ask seller a question ... Which bass are you selling? The one pictured, or the one described?"

I'm dying to see their response.

13. msb-s1-1.

this looks Photoshopped...

14. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Yes it does...look at the fretboard at his hand.

15. yeah, that reflection across the bass re-appears in a bunch of other pictures. a pretty crummy photoshop job if I say so myself.

this seller is just WAYY to shady.

16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I agree. Depending on what you are looking for, I'd avoid these basses at all cost. They seem like a rip-off just waiting to happen. My experience with these kinds of clueless places is all bad. (was an AK-47 guitar...luckily only needed as a joke)

So. Do you want a Fender clone? If so Rondo and an SX bass is the purchase of choice for lots of bass with little cash.

Do you want a Stingray clone? If so finding a used OLP bass is the purchase of choice. (rewiring needed!)

Do you really want a Gibson SG clone (basses pictured are NOT SG shaped basses!) Then you need to scrounge around for a used Epiphone.

In any of these cases you won't get something for nothing. What you'll be buying is the POTENTIAL to have a decent clone instrument with some setup, strings, and maybe a mod or two. So if that kind of work is outside your fence, take that into consideration.

Hey, I own several SX basses, and an OLP bass and a real honest to God high priced Gibson SG guitar (not bass) and my advice is look at the SX and the OLP. (not an SG fan)

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Most likely.

I've gotten a few items from Houstonbrass.
    Of the MM clones:
    a single pickup sunburst 4, a single pickup black 5, and a 2 pickup maple(natural).

The MM clones with single pickup are decent basses for the $ and very lightweight. His 2 pickup maple version weighs a lot and I'm still working getting it setup properly(translation: the neck shifted some when strings were brought up to tension even after truss adjust).....beautiful bass though....I WILL make it work and VERY MUCH worth the $$.

I played MM's in GC Houston, saw these, and do not have over $1k for the "real" thing.
    They work for me, every week, sometimes 3 x a week.

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Update: I just bought a blue one from Dr. Tech since they're now $89 on sale + free ship. I'll let ya'll know if there is any difference between the Texas seller and Dr. Tech when it gets here. The ones from the Texas seller ALL have maple necks, Dr. Tech's shows rosewood.

19. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I am looking forward to seeing pics.

20. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    At a quick first glance I would say they are obviously Stingray knockoff basses, however there are differences between the two as well. Just me, but cheap knockoff and copy basses have never appealed to me. Hopefully it is a great bass for you though, looking forward to hearing about it.