1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are you an organ donor?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Skel, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Another thread that I'm not intending to be political.

I need to check my driver's license to verify if I'm an organ donor..I think I am. These days I think this idea needs to be reconsidered. How much are organs worth? A fortune?

Ideas?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I am an organ donor. After I die, I won't need them. But someone else will. Why not give it to them?

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just checked my license..I didn't sign the organ donor part. Don't know if that matters. The reason I would be hesitant to "give" them away, is because I don't know anymore if the system can be trusted.

4. yes i am

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Probably not. But what other alternative do you have?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I am according to my licence. I do believe the best bet is to have it in your will as well and make sure your family knows of your intentions.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's just a "not so fast" feeling - like maybe there should be power of attorney given to a survivor you entrust to make the decision in case technology is something we don't yet understand.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    What?

The choices are pretty clear:

You keep your organs and get cremated/burried with them and someone who needs them dies

or

You give them up and someone who needs them might live

I don't know what you're talking about...

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    According to the laws of my country I'm a donor except if I sign a document that says I don't want my organs donated.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok, here's an example, albeit a bad one. I learned not long ago that prisoners are automatically at the top of the list for donated organs. I think I'd just feel better if I sign that I'm an organ donor, but have somebody living have to "sign off" as well...I don't know why. Maybe I'm nuts.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He means (I presume) that if you are an organ donor, your organs must be harvested almost immediately after death or else they become useless, and if there's a way to resuccitate him that may not be immediately obvious, it would probably be too late when someone has the bright idea on how to save his life.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    "Harvested immediately" is kind of a bad way of putting it. Pretty much if you're dead for like 15 minutes... you're dead. But your organs can still be used.

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Actually I didn't even think of that. Thanks for saving my life!!

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You know, this decision will be useful at the moment you expect the less and unfortunately, maybe sooner than you think.
    So if you think you should give them, do it now because when you die it's too late. It's also a very hard choice for the family, don't put it on them.

I'm an organ and spine donor.

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I am. After I'm dead they are pretty much useless to me. :rolleyes:

George Carlin doing the nightly news...

"Heart donations have declined in recent months. Many people consider it an imposition."

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's kind of a greed thing though. What if my family could make tons of money off my organs, but I decided to give them away. I don't mean to be misunderstood, I just don't know what the times will be like when this happens.

17. I certainly am an organ donor. I won't need 'em, and if I could contribute to saving a life, then I was at least good for sumthin'! :)

Except of course, my liver... That is being donated to science fiction. Petrified, perforated, and dripping with SoCo and lime. :D

18. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, sell them now and put the money in mutual funds and will it to them.

Problem solved. :D

19. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1. I'm a donor also.

20. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I think that's for people given the death sentence. Since they know they're gonna die then and there, it makes harvesting the organs easy, plus they don't have to worry about trying to resuscitating the person.

As for me. I can't deal with the idea of donating my organs. It seriously creeps me out, so no, I haven't signed my license. If it were something to do while I was alive, like donate a kidney for a family member, maybe I could consider it.