Are your cab and amp the same brand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Titanium, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Titanium

Titanium

Mar 20, 2021
    I recently picked up a new Mesa WD-800 head and have been searching for a cab to go with it. I know the correct answer is to get whatever sounds best… But for now I’m just curious how many of you have mismatched brands for your amp and cabinet combo? I don’t know why but it bothers me a bit to think of getting a different brand cab (prob ocd lol), but then I also know I’m limiting myself by not exploring all tonal options. So I’m just sort of curious how prevalent it is for mismatches. Thanks!

dasherf17, Rebel Rocker, BOOG and 4 others like this.
  2. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Ah, the dreaded “cab->can” auto correct. Quick, edit it before it’s too late!

Im generally a combo man, and appreciate matching brands in general. Markbass for me these days.

I think if you’re not sure just match them. Especially, Mesa- can’t go wrong!

But my first “real” rig was a Peavey Mark head (300w IIRC) into a Ampeg 410 (complete with towel bar). Man what a sweet rig!

3. Titanium

Titanium

Mar 20, 2021
    Ahhh! Didn’t even see that, thanks! I fixed it to cab. OCD again lol

mikewalker and CallMeAl like this.
  4. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Yup. All are Mesa :thumbsup:

5. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    My answer is yes and no. I have Markbass and Genzler heads with Markbass and Aguilar cabinets.

Slimz and bassdude51 like this.
  6. bobomatic

bobomatic

Jan 15, 2018
    Ampeg over Barefaced, so not me.

7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Which rig? I’ve got siblings, and mix’n’match.

ArtechnikA and neuman like this.
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Yes

TonyP- likes this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Nope: Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 amp and Acme B2 series 2 cabinet.
    Of course, under the correct circumstances, I would go full Mesa Subway.

Bassdirty, Popps and MaxSpinrun like this.
  10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    After 25 years of playing Frankenstein rigs, I finally got a matching set.
    It started with a Bergantino HDN 210 cab which was already working great with various amps I had. Their B|Amp uses digital profiles to achieve a really flat response with their cabs. I finally got one and tried it and the profiled pairing did indeed do something special - especially for the upright bass.
    That's the most compelling scenario I can think of for matching brands. But it doesn't always pertain.
    I assume most makers design their cabs & amps around each other to a certain extent. But I've had great results over the years with all kinds of mongrel amp stacks. (And, not surprisingly, the B|Amp sounds fine with my other cabs.)

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Bass cabs include Genz Benz 1288Ts, Greenboy Dually, and EV TL405.

Bass Amps include Orange, Hiwatt, Reeves, Trace Elliot, Mesa, Ashdown, Ampeg, Genz Benz, Epifani, GK, Aguilar, Matchless, Sadowsky.

Guess I am okay with mixing and matching.

IMHO the most important thing is try before you buy and select what sounds good to you. The Mesa Subway cabs have a great reputation. Maybe you will like a matching cab, and maybe you will prefer something else.

Why worry about it. It's your money, so spend it however you see fit.

rodl2005 likes this.
  12. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I don't particularly need them to match by brand. I'll use GK cabs with my Eden head for example.

If I was buying a new rig now I could go for the MESA and a 2x15" cab but I rarely use an amp these days and when I do it's generally a combo. I've got a GK MB 110 for that purpose, it's light and portable, sounds good and is really used for rehearsals, small gigs and as a stage monitor.

It looks like we might be going out on tour again next year so for that it will be the Eden 550 with Eden and Alembic preamps and a 4,5 and fretless basses all through two GK 1x12"+horn cabs.This allows me to set the gain and EQ for each bass and use one DI into FOH.

madjazzbass likes this.
  13. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

Guess not.
    bassrigcrop.jpg bergroyfest.jpg

Murch and SixtyCycleHum like this.
  14. RestlessBoom

RestlessBoom

Oct 1, 2021
    I have a GK MB200 head paired with a GK 115, and my new beast is a DG M900v2 paired with a DG 212. I like proper pairings. I tried out adding the 115 to my new setup, and it sounds great, but isn’t necessary.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Bonus points for more than two different brands in a stack:

franken-stack - 1.jpeg

I would be a liar if I said I haven't thought about acquiring another Berg cab for a nice matching stack. (A second Bag End S-15D would also be sweet.) But the need is not urgent. Money is a little tight this winter, space is even tighter, and that stack sounds pretty darn good as is.

16. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    Mesa for amps. Either Audiokenisis or Bergantino for speakers.

17. Mesa TT-800 with 2 Subway 1x15 matched stack and a Quilter BB-800 with GR Bass Aerotech 212 Slim. Will be getting a combo version of the 212 Slim hopefully soon.
    BarukeModRigs01.jpg

Coot, cosmicevan, Bassdirty and 12 others like this.
  18. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    North Dakota
    I have a WD-800 and use mostly Ampeg cabs.

TheSpinDoctor likes this.
  19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I'm in
    20210404_114915.jpg
    Mesa > Genzler > Genz Benz

RColie and Nuage420 like this.
  20. I have both, but mix most of the time. How would it fit in if you had cabs custom built to go with certain amps ?

816B3885-3531-4113-AB56-3FA28D3C7DF5.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    aus_bass, Artman, eadg98005 and 8 others like this.