Aria & Aria Pro II Club (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan L., Aug 3, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Those are all different models...

Mine is the one with the trans black wings. The control configuration is V, V, T, and a series/parallel switch for each pickup. :)

2. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks brian. I'm getting some barts put in mine, but not sure how i should wire it. Want to do something a bit different. Have those 4 spaces for controls, the input is on the side. Any idea how the others are setup? I'm sure someone with your knowledge can suggest something cool for this project. Maybe stacked Vs to leave space for the switches? I've been playing on it, obviously w/o any pups, and the neck is surprisingly really easy to move on and I hate the feel of 5ers. Really looking froward to actually hooking this guy up.

[​IMG]

3. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Yes, I noticed that, too! A sad day indeed. If you need any help, let me know! I've got many photos of SBs (many of which were on Graeme's site).

4. BloodySlayer

BloodySlayer

Sep 23, 2009
    I know this is a bit off-topic, but is it possible to convert a bass from passive to active pickups/electronics? If so, approximately how much might it cost(I understand that it would vary greatly on the parts that I used, but I'm just looking for a rough estimate)?

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me out.

5. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Personally I'd go for V, V, T and throw on two switches in seperate smaller holes. You should try see if you can get Kent or Aaron Armstrong to make you MEB-alike pickups (like the SB's) in 5 string version. That'd be sweeeet! They're radiused so they work kinda like ramps too.

Thanks for your offer Jason! I'll most likely take you up on it! ;) I've got the domain setup this morning, once I have the basic layout done I'll let you know.

Have you ever played an Elite II? :eyebrow:
    I have one and there is certainly NO problem with lack of output. It DOESN'T need active pickups or preamp. Seriously. :cool:

Please don't go butchering very nice examples of SB's! :crying:
    :help:

6. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Ive called kent twice, I think hes the one in the US right?, but to not avail. Left two voicemails and have not heard back. I'm going to try and email him and see if maybe that'll work better, but yea appreciate your help man. If i can nail an SB-ish sound, it would be my new main player. :hyper:

7. BloodySlayer

BloodySlayer

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm still choosing my first bass, so in my inexperience, I assumed that the low output and interference issues existed with Elite II's as much as any other passive bass. I'm very glad to hear that they don't though. :D

I hope I'm able to buy this thing. It seems to be what I've been looking for. I suppose I'm very picky. :p More than anything else, I want to buy a bass that I won't feel I need to replace six months or a year after I get it. When I decide to get a second bass, I can buy one that has its own tonal qualities and advantages, rather than just getting something that isn't as cheap in quality or construction.

8. Basstovsky

Basstovsky The guy with the dumb username...

Feb 29, 2008
    Massachusetts
    This is where I got all the info I know about SB's:
    http://www.matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/bass/sb/sb.html
    It has quite a bit of info on just about any of the matsumoku basses one is interested in, while I never saw Graeme's SB pages, this page might at least take up some of the slack for now.

9. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Once its grounded & shielded properly there should be no problems with noise/interference. The output matches my other active basses, so much that in fact when I got the E2 I had to doublecheck if there were batteries. :D

They have their own sound certainly, that's why I'd advise against replacing electronics unless you've bought one that has already had them replaced.

thejrace - Kent's email address is armstrong at vermontel.net. Try that, I got a reply within about 48hrs.

10. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Got a call from Kent today :D. I'm going to try and follow your idea as well. I'd go with the volumes stacked, tone knob, and the 2 switches, but i have a question in regards to the switches. What does each do?

11. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Series / Parallel. It changes how the coils in each pickup react to each other. The pickups need to be 5 conductor for it to work. Did Kent say that he could make 5 string versions? :hyper:

You have 4 holes in the top, so why not use each. 2 for Volume, 1 for tone and 1 for the jack? drill two smaller ones for the switches. :confused:

12. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    We are going to discuss the details tomorrow:hyper:. As for the drilling, i dont really want to have any modifications done that cannot be undone. The controls holes are 4 on top that are free, while the input jack is along the side of the body.

13. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Update - So talked to Kent today and he said he could do the meb type pickups and it would nail the SB sound almost to a tee. Going to run me $120 for each pickup. Going to have to save up, but this project looks to be on the road to completion next month. Kent is a very nice man to deal with, I might add. Can't wait for this!

On another note may be acquiring an aria guitar, but there isnt too much info on it. Can anyone help me out with some info? Pic

[​IMG]

14. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    Great news!! I can't wait to see how this turns out. Hopefully you can do a soundclip also? :p

I've seen a similar guitar before but can't remember the name. It looks really cool though. I'd go for it! :cool:

15. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    I just got a couple new (to me) Aria Pro II basses...the red one is a SB-LTD which features Alembic pickups and electronics, ebony fingerboard, and gold hardware. I believe it's from around 1990. I still have to remove that cream colored output jack plate, I think it's hiding a chip in the finish. The black one is an IGB-600, aka my latest "Billy Gould bass". Sorry the pics aren't great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brian, I also spotted this weird SB offshoot from one of the Japanese guitar shops (TCGakki). It would make a good addition to any new SB gallery you are planning. Here is a pic of it...I've seen that pickup on another Aria bass before, but can't remember the model offhand. You can see the headstock is a little shorter. I guess it must be a medium scale bass. Never seen it in a catalog, though. It is definitely a Matsumoku product as the typical SB style serial number engraving on the back of the headstock starts with a 6, so it would be 1986.
    [​IMG]

16. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Here is my Black and Gold

BG.jpg

17. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Nice, does that Black n Gold have an Armstrong replacement pickup in it?

18. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Yep. This is a BG with pups that works :)

19. thejrace

thejrace

Oct 3, 2008
    NYC
    Where do you always get these great basses?:confused:. Congrats:hyper: though, those look great.

I'm torn on the guitar, it'd run me about $300, which i think i'd rather put into the pickups, unless i can find out some more info about it. As for my project, i can't wait. :bassist:. Its such a comfortable bass to play, but i can't wait to hear it with kent's pups. Get the feeling my other basses are planning to destroy my aria integra.:p I'll def have sound clips when i get it and finally get away from it enough to record something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.