1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aria Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cyprus, Mar 23, 2010.

1. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    So there's a guy on craigslist offering to trade an Aria 4 string, a 5 string squier, an a 15 combo for a guitar.

Seems like a good trade, and I'm probably gonna end up going for it, but I was wondering if anyone had any info or opinions on Aria basses? I can't say I know or have heard about them too much.

This is all the info I have so far on it.
    "aria pro 4 string good condition late 70s early 80s model (NATURAL)"

I know it's not much to work with, but any info or opinions would help.
    Thanks!

2. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Usually late '70s or early '80s Arias were very nice, especially if we're talking about the SB series. Aria has made some really cheap, entry 'level stuff' all the way up to quite expensive 'pro level' basses. Any pics?

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I typed 'aria' into the search function, and came up with quite a few threads. That may answer a few of your questions.

4. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    That about sums it up. The matsumoku Aria basses are generally very good. The tone and the string spacing at the bridge is, for some, an aquired taste, but they are built well and they play very well.

Post some photos if you can get them.

5. i have played about 4 aria and they have all been crap... all various styles and they just play horribly

6. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    agreed and some of them were very visually appealing but not keepers

7. even visually i am not a fan ! but that's a personal opinion obviously !!!

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I just posted in the worse/useless gear on two Ovankal neckthru Arias i had for a short time. Both were so bad electronics wise i had to get a refund on even the replacement bass.

On the other hand i had a late 70's Aria lawsuit jazz that was killer and felt and sounded as good as any Fender jazz i had ever played FWIW.

9. But who listens to anyone from Ayrshire? :p

I've got a few Aria's. Even the cheaper ones ("Pro 2 Magna Basses") have been better playing that you'd expect for the price.

I've got an Aria STB-EXO which plays like a dream. Looks and feels much more expensive than you'd expect at the price point. (the only down side is the preamp, but I think my EB's have spoiled me on that front (not to mention it was an easy fix to make up my own preamp and stick that in there).

Cream of the (aria) crop is my matsumoku J-bass. '77-'78. Looks awesome, plays awesome, sounds awesome. Much nicer than any fender jazz i've played, not to mention it was much cheaper. (Only downside is it is a bit on the weighty side, but, not an issue here anyways :) ).

10. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    As you can see from the replies, when you say "Aria" you will get many different opinions because Aria has made so many different models with very different looks and and 'price points' through the years. It's not like when someone says "I've got a Fender" and you basically know that it's going to be a P, a J, or P/J with the famous headstock shape and body shape that we all associcate with Fender. When you say "I've got an Aria" it could mean a P bass copy (like the so called "lawsuit" models), a 'metal style' bass like the Magna series, a pointy Explorer style bass, or the SB series which most people recognize as being a very well made instruments that a lot of pros have played. I've owned a lot of different Arias and am a big fan, but even I would admit some of them were poorly made clunkers. On the other hand, I've had some P bass copies that could hold their own against any Fender and my personal favorite the SB series which I think are superb in quality, sound and looks. So what was I saying...? Oh yeah, pics would be nice to see which model you're looking at. :) If the guy has a Matsumoku built Aria then chances are it's a pretty decent bass.

11. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Whoa, thanks for all the responses and info!
    Alright, managed to get a reply.
    He has no camera at the moment, but he said he'll try to get a picture.

It's an Aria Pro II RSB series 4 string electric bass. It is black in color and has a single coil pick up.

I've been reading up on Aria's and I must say... I want. Haha.
    Any info on the RSB series?
    Thanks in advance!

12. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Woops, got my basses mixed up. That was a different one I'm looking at locally.

The guy who's offering a trade still hasn't sent any pics, but he says it's "aria pro2 4 string bass (NATURAL) its in good condition its a 1985"

Still trying to get his phone number, but he's lagging it in responding.

13. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Matsumoku eh...?

You mean like....

THIS!?!
    aria.jpg
    aria1.jpg
    aria2.jpg
    aria3.jpg

14. Schec

Schec

Jun 1, 2008
    Down Under
    Get it. QUICK

15. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Oh-hoh-ho... I already did... :hyper::D
    I decided to take a chance and took in my Ibanez artcore to trade. Drove 2 hours to get down to his place, but it was all definitely worth it. As soon as he opened up that case I knew... It was the bass for me.

16. muziktyme

muziktyme

Mar 25, 2010
    I own a few "Aria" guitars. They are fine as long as you tune them after every couple of notes...!

17. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    Wow, looks like a nice score! Is everything alright with the neck and does it play well? I would say it's more like a 1977 (judging by the serial number) rather than 1985, though. It looks like you might have one of these models:

http://matsumoku.org/models/ariaproii/catalogs/77_lclsst/77_lc-ls-st_pg6.jpg.html

A lot of them were named Aria Pro II "Precise", "Primary", or "Professional". I sold two of the P bass models and both buyers absolutely loved them.

18. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Whoa, those do look like mine. Only difference I can see is that mine has two pickups. And yeah, mine says "precise" on it.

It's also missing the cover for the bridge, any idea where I could find a replacement for it?

19. Alembic83

Nov 2, 2005
    Salem, Oregon
    The Jazz style basses in the catalog also have two pickups. The bridge cover is also covering one of the pickups. I doubt you'll find a cover with the cool "A" on it for Aria Pro, but you should be able to find a plain one on any parts site or ebay. Search for 'bridge cover Jazz' on eBay and you'll get a lot of hits.

20. cyprus

cyprus

Apr 23, 2007
    Oh! okay, I see it now.
    Sweet... Thanks a ton for the info. I feel like I own a piece of history now. :hyper:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020