Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ashdown Mini speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bmc, Jan 14, 2004.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Wondering if anyone here has tried or own the Ashdown Mini speakers? They come in 1-10, 1-12, 1-15, or 4-8 configuration. I've read two positive reviews in magazines but haven't found any user reviews on the web.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a Mini 10T, and I would say that it does not make for a good stand-alone, full-range cab, but that it does pair up well with a deeper cab that needs some added punch and articulation in the upper mids (like, say, a Mini 15!). I have heard that the Mini 10T is somewhat similar in sound to the Mini 48, but never having heard the 48, I cannot confirm this. At any rate, most people who are using them with a level of satisfaction have combined two different cabs - Mini 48/15 being a favorite, but Mini 10T/12 and 10T/15 also being seen in use). They are nice looking cabs, though the 10T is somewhat large as far as 1x10s go.

Since I also have three other 1x10's, I am probably going to sell my Mini 10T. It has seen less than 1 hour's use (just to try it out), and is in mint condition. If interested, PM me.

Later, Tom.

3. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oops! Didn't see that you were in Switzerland. While I'd love to visit, I don't plan on getting back there any time soon, so disregard that PM thing...

T.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got a Mini 1x15 that I'm very pleased with. It does a very good job across the range of my six string bass. Ideally I'd like to pair it with a Mini 4x8 (which I tried, but found a bit harsh on its own) but haven't currently got a playing situation where I need it.

It fits neatly in the boot of my small car (Rover Metro) although it's still a bit on the heavy side for lugging round by hand and doesn't fit comfortably on the existing hand-cart I have, therefore it stays at home and just gets used for practise most of the time (at the moment) because I use what the venue or rehearsal studio has instead.

Do some searching here on Talkbass - the mini series have been covered in lots of threads in the past (with a majority of positive comments but one or two people with negative views).

Wulf

5. Mini 15 & Mini 4x8, I've gigged them and carried them regularly and I love 'em. Big sound from a small package and no hernias!. :bassist:

6. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use a mini 115 paired with a mini 112H powered by an ABM 300 EVO head. I love 'em! They are light, small, rugged, and they sound fantastic. I don't know how they sound with different amps, but with an Ashdown head, they sound great.

Cheers,
    Chris

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Tom...thanks for the input and the sales notice. Local prices for gear are beyond the ionosphere. My last three purchase were stateside and sent across. But thanks anyways.

Wuff...I'll do a search for that.

Dr.drill...thanks...I see ya live " Jist Ootside Glasgow". Any relation to Oor Wullie?

Thanks everyone.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My Mini 10T will go for $250 (barely) used, which is what I saw Bass Northwest selling them for (used). ;)

Tom.

9. Speak of the devil, I bought my 500 EVO II head from BassNW and only have wonderful things to say about their customer service and my purchase experience with them :)

I'd be most interested in the mini 15/mini 4x8 duo...any ideas how much these puppies go for used?