1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ASKING for bass solos???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by unbridled, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Here is what I've done when put on the spot. STOP PLAYING....then ham it up on the microphone. Saying things like "anyone notice something missing"? or "notice how any one can stop playing and the song will still sound alright, but when the bass stops there is a big hole", "Am I right?, come on do you agree?" etc, etc, have fun with it. Get people involved. The band I was in at the time eventually stopped asking. But recently, if asked I just play what I was already playing, just a little louder. Or as someone mentioned before, have some little lick in your back pocket to play, step forward and play it, then step back.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado

Through some Eefin' in with that and it's a concert.

3. From reading most responses in this thread, I get the impression that the majority of bass players must be the most suppressed, inferior, Stockholm syndrome, under achieving, no-playing, lazy, talentless, conformists in the music world.
    No wonder there are threads about getting no respect, it seems most bass players don't respect themselves, or the sound of, and capability their own instrument, and are satisfied with a lifetime of mediocrity.
    Bottesini was a bass solo star in the 1800s, and sold out one man concerts.
    I saw Jaco in 69, and his melodic lines outshone the entire rest of the band, and he was only about 17 years old at the time.
    When I saw Jeff Berlin play with Herbie Mann, his solos were the stand outs of the concert.
    And Renaud Garcia-Fons sells out concerts world wide.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Consider working on something with the drummer, or having the band trade short (4 bar solos) a la a jazz band.

But if you don't want to solo, just tell him.

5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi unbridled :)

Just play one! :bassist:

May the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

btw:Tell him, he has to fire the drummer!
    You know, "When drums stop to play, bass solo begins! :roflmao:

6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think if anyone ever asks me to solo on bass again, I'll play and sing happy birthday really slow and sensually (think Marilyn Monroe) to the prettiest girl near the stage. I'll just make up a name to use, that's the improv part of the solo.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

"See something, say something" is the mantra these days. You can't be too careful. :roflmao:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

bobdabilder likes this.
  8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Yeah! Talentless hacks! All of you! Your fear of notes is a boundless disgrace!

9. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

frabz-Sir-Ill-have-you-know-I-resemble-that-remark-aa9e9e.jpg

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

marmadaddy likes this.
  10. marmadaddy

marmadaddy Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    The singer/BL of the R&B band I play with calls for bass solos pretty frequently. I'm really not much of a soloist, but the guy I replaced was. They make me uncomfortable, particularly when she calls for one in songs in a key like Eb minor. Just shoot me. Please.

11. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014

12. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'm guessing this thread would be a lot different if started in the DB section. Different strokes for different folks but I like bass solos.

Passinwind likes this.
  13. I've told this story before but its a fun tell so...

Filled in for a group for what I thought would be a boring night and potential train wreck. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it actually turned into a lot of fun. I was worried because there were 3 guitar players [one of which is a dedicated slide player]. I was expecting the volume wars, people stepping all over each others parts, etc etc, but surprisingly it didn't turn into that at all. The drummer was a little sloppy, IMHO, but as hard as drummers seem to be to find in this area, I won't begrudge anybody for making do, and he's likely a friend and a nice guy.

So towards the end of the night they are doing "crosscut saw" [they do it in 'A' as a rumba... kind of cool!], and pretty much everybody is getting a solo... and suddenly the singer points at me and says "Let the bass player have some".

"Oh crap!" I think, "I wasn't expecting a solo!" When it comes to bass I'm not a slap player, not a flashy player, just a guy that tries to hold the groove. So I'm near panicking.

So I managed to pull a solo out of thin air [I think - judge for yourself], and they seemed pleased, even asking me to extend it another 12 bars [longer?!?! why?!??]. I made a conscious effort of making the solo ending blend back towards the rhythm so it didn't seem jarring. They go back into the ending of the song, and being the prankster that I am, I'm thinking to myself "oh, so the surprise bass solo was a good time eh? How about I copy the guitar-vocal call/response in this song [normally the bass player would not do this, and they aren't expecting it]. So when the part comes I start doing it - just really laying into it REAL hard and leaning over to him so he knows its deliberate - and you can audibly hear the guy struggling to get the line out because he's laughing so hard on the second pass. He got the joke! One of the guitar players is laughing and hitting me in the ribs with his elbow [causing a slight flub around 5:15 right at the end] but it was all good natured - everyone was having a good time at that point. A good night, all things being equal.

For your entertainment

[be gentle - I'm a guitar player who subs on bass to make more gigs/funds]

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021