1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ASKING for bass solos???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by unbridled, Mar 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Of course he was, the alternative was going back to playing banjo!:roflmao:

However, I wonder if I have some room in the spares box for a small tambo...

two fingers likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    At the risk of having my sensitive male PC card revoked :)roflmao:) at will simply say that the kinds of people who want to come up and grab your tambourine are usually the kinds of people you want to get a closer look at anyway. ;)

3. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Oh, if I'm going to pull out the tambourine, I'm going whole hog:
    hqdefault.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

11755903_1107014429327113_3669130424733306569_n.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You're gonna burn the tambourine????? I spoze it's cheaper than burning basses. :D

6. SpyderX

SpyderX

Jun 6, 2015
    Costa Mesa, Ca
    I agree - not something I'm interested in - with the exception of a couple of solos Roger Glover had on early DP albums I don't mind listening to. He kept them short.

dan1952 likes this.
  7. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Confusing post. If he puts you on the spot mid-song to do a bass solo or anything else you are uncomfortable with, simply ignore it. He will eventually stop putting you on the spot or risk looking foolish.

8. Just play a groove, or the groove.

9. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Maybe you could learn this:

If you can manage it, you will be asked for encores. :cool:

10. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Even as an old crotchety bass player myself..I don't care to listen to them unless I was at a show specific to that.

BassCliff likes this.
  11. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    ..I also don't like being the focal point at all. No solos.

12. I do this kind of stuff in a lot of our songs. Wether people consider it a solo is debatable. I really don’t but some people do. Our fans joke all the time that we have lead bass instead of lead guitar.

From our second album (2005 ish) Check out around 2:50

Here’s another example from the same album check out around 2:00

Closet thing that I did on our newest album(2017) Super simple. Check out around 3:00

Usually at shows if the crowd asks for a bass solo I do a bass rendition of a cover song. Like I took the piano/acoustic version of linkin Parks song crawling and rearranged it for 6 string bass. Every time I’ve played that I got the crowd to sing along and it was very powerful imo. What I don’t do is try to play blistering fast stuff high or fast slapping stuff. I think bass can sound beautiful as a solo instrument but I just don’t care for the typical speed funk slap solos or the high I want to be a guitar stuff that often sounds like basic scales or arpeggios(aka practice stuff) There’s gotta be a melody imo.

BassCliff and unbridled like this.
  13. LYNCHMAN

LYNCHMAN

Nov 15, 2017
    Richmond VA
    bass solos are cheezy...no matter how good you are at it!

14. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I can solo way better on guitar than I can bass. With bass, it sometimes just feels awkward to me, but it also depends on the song or the groove.

unbridled likes this.
  15. I can solo on bass, I'm just not stupid enough to ask.

16. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Okay, I do not like bass solos.
    That being said, I sometimes have to take them, and the key is to not break the rhythm. Like playing lead guitar, notes around and between the roots will do fine. Make sure your drummer does'nt distrub the groove by dropping out.
    The problem I've encountered when hearing bass solos is that bassists do this bizarre thing where they just drop out and do weird avant-garde riffs with complete disregard for the groove. Nobody likes that. You can play your solos while still playing the song.

unbridled likes this.
  17. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Yeah it would be, but the thing shouldn't burn, so long as you extinguish the lighter fluid before the varnish or membrane start off-gassing and burning themselves.

But total jest anyways, you're right about the fairer sex and tambourines, adding lighter fluid and alcohol sounds like a recipe for disaster. So for anyone following this thread hi-jack, don't do this at your local venue!

two fingers likes this.
  18. I wasn't sure what that was, so I reported it ;)

BassCliff and mikewalker like this.
  19. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014

I play with a singer songwriter/ guitarist. Sometimes he nods at me and suggests a solo. I play them better on the electric than acoustic and do it sometimes, sort of play a combination of scale tones and arpeggios and passing notes through the chords, or just fake it and jam on a major pentatonic scale. I find it a little embarrassing because I'm really a basic roots/rhythmic player, and can't really hear or play melodies much but it gives me a chance to try to stretch out.

20. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Reminds me of this ... start at 00:40 ...

unbridled and mikewalker like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021