Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AT LONG LAST! PICS!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 29, 2005.

1. I've been a member of talkbass since Dec' 2003 and I've never managed/gotten around to etc. posting pictures of my baby! Alder body, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard. Active pickups... Well anyway, enough jabbering.

2. Mo

3. Mo MO

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Very Nice! A good friend of mine had one of those in the 80s... I use to borrow it when he'd let me ;)

5. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's a nice looking bass :bassist:

You don't see many of them, especially a 5er. I have an SB310 4 string, thing is very light but incredibly strong. My only problem with it is that the whole bass is too light and smallish for me :bawl: , but they are really well made :D
    [​IMG]

6. Maybe its cause mine is a 5er, but its not particularly light, even compared to a Stingray(4)... SO those of you who have played it, what do you think? I'm the only bass player ever to have played this one.

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I think it's because the SB310 was the lower end of the line for SGC Nanyo ... I have seen and played an SB301 that was definitely beefier than the one I have. The neck on the 301 was also bigger (wider and thicker) than my 310. Either way, they're very nice basses. Also, the electronics are VERY good. Too bad Sexton Guitar went out of business .......

8. SEXTON GUITAR

Holy ****! YOu know what it stand for! Cool. Anything you could tell me more....

9. I had one of the 4 strings...I loved it, but its tone was a tad thin...

awesome necks.

10. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    It's really hard to find out information about the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection basses. The following info has been gathered from a bunch of random sources and kind of pieced together, so don't mistake it for absolute fact. If anyone has contrary or other info, I'd love to hear about it, as well.

SGC does stand for Sexton Guitar Company, AFAIK originally a small British guitar (not bass) manufacturer that was acquired by Nanyo (a Japanese electronics manufacturer) in the early to mid 80's. As I understand it, they eliminated the guitar line and manufactured only bass guitars starting in '86/'87. They went belly up in 1991. The basses really seemed to be popular in Europe, but never really took off over here in the US.

As best as I have been able to determine, the Bass Collection line consisted of the following:
    SB301 - 4 string active 24 fret
    SB302 - 4 string passive-only 22 fret
    Sb303 - 4 string active fretless
    SB305 - 5 string active 24 fret (your bass)
    SB306 - 5 string active fretless
    SB310 - 4 string active 24 fret (my bass, lower end of line)

All of the basses have the SGC Nanyo pups in differing configurations. Mine has the P/J set-up. All of the active pups are humbuckers, I believe ..... don't think they did any pole pieces or single coils, but that could be wrong. I'm pretty sure the bridges and tuners are all Gotoh (originals, not copies) on all of the basses .... they are Gotoh on mine for sure. Most, if not all, of the bodies are swamp ash, not sure about the necks (but they're crazy sturdy). The basses I've seen have all been a matching transparent stain on the body and neck, yours is the first one I ever seen with that cool looking metallic paint thing going on.

edit: How did you determine that the body was alder and neck mahogony? That's interesting info, have never heard that. Also, most fretboards are rosewood, except for fretless which I understand are ebony.

There are a few players here on TB that have SGC Bass Collection basses, maybe they can chime in, as well .... the newer company selling under the Bass Collection name has no affiliation with the former SGC Nanyo.

This is information that I have been able to piece together, but it could definitely have some inaccuracies, so don't assume this info is solid. Hope this helps ;)

11. Thats really great info. Although mine's the SB100 series. Not the sb305 one you mentioned. The woods was just a store guy who looked and them and guessed, I guess your info might be bettrer.

12. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Wow, that's like a whole bunch of new info that I never heard :eek: :D Never knew or heard about a 100 series .... Man, I really wish there was some definitive source for these things ... they are really good basses :bassist: If you ever get any more info, let me know :help:

13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Anyone else think that bass = Carvin meeting Warwick?

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Any problems with dead spots with that tiny headstock?

15. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Not that I ever noticed, but I never really played it for any length of time ... thing is just too small for me. Bassline can probably give you a more specifc answer, but it sounds like he has a bass that is higher up the food chain than the one I have .....

But yeah, that head is small, man ...... zero neck-dive on that bass. Amazing how incredibly well built they are for the size and weight :)

The Headstock kind of reminds me of the new Tune basses :bag:

16. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    From the Rondo Music website....check the control cavity cover...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

:D

17. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Justice, my guy :bassist: :bassist:

Pulls a sleeper out of the closet :D

Man, that bass seems EXACTLY like the SGC I have, including that neck taper on the front and the bolt configuration on the back. It looks like different pups, but the placement and configuration is exactly the same. And the cavity plate speaks for itself :eek:

I've gotta go talk to Rondo .... wow, that's wild :confused:

Nice catch, Justice :cool:

edit: see, this is why I love this forum ..... where else can you get this kind of info this fast ???????

18. DEAD SPOT? WHATS THAT! AHHAH seriously. This bass is nothing but sweet. I'll get soundclips on when I can.

19. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    wow looks really awesome

20. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I almost bought one back in 1990. I liked the light weight and skinny neck. I still have the catalog. Here are some pics for you Bass Collection enthusiasts.

Attached Files: