1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    I wrote to him 5 days ago and he usually would have answered by now. Well, it's not a long answer delay, but Duke standard is faster :) Dont' worry, Duke customer service is the best.
    Btw, two TC112AF V4 are on their way to my home :bassist::bassist::bassist:

wave rider and kittywithabanjo like this.
  2. Can any fellow Canadians who have been customers of Duke relay their experiences with respect to shipping/duties/brokerage in purchasing AK gear?

I'm trying to plan and budget for future cab purchases, and these details are what may end up being deal breakers for me, even though a Hathor 1505 (or two) is what I desire most.

3. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    No, I know - and he's normally been pretty quick to respond.

I'll check in again with him

Slaymus likes this.
  4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Hi Been Effected,

I've had other people tell me that we've had e-mails go a-missing. I've started an I've-got-an-issue ticket with Yahoo, anyway try again if you don't mind.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  5. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Btw, two TC112AF V4 are on their way to my home :bassist::bassist::bassist:[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I'm intrigued by your mention of TC112s V4! What's different from V3?

I recently took delivery of three (3!!) TC112s non-AF. They have an upgraded tweeter and a revised crossover with a 2-way switch: up is for "flat" and down is for a slight roll-off of the highs that sounds better for home stereo. I plan to use them primarily for bass, but also for light PA work and home stereo. Where else can you get a value like this??

I have pictures somewhere, both with the cabs sitting at home and on the job. I'll post them soon.

Thanks Duke, these cabs are awesome!

Bob

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Bob, yours are technically V4's, but yours have a custom extremely gentle "home audio" top-end rolloff. I hadn't decided what to call them yet when I made yours; yours are now officially declared to be Thunderchild 112v4's. Speaking of which, is the "home audio" switch setting useful?

On the AF version of the V4, the rear-firing horn is the same as the front firing horn (including same compression driver), slightly different crossovers, and a "0/-6 dB" switch... so, kinda like a Thunderchild version of the Changeling.

The new "normal" for the top-end rolloff switch is "18k/7k", the latter setting being a bit more top-end than previously, so I think it will be a more useful setting for gigging. I think a switchable 3.5 kHz top-end rolloff makes sense for the Hathor and Changeling cabs, but I think a 7 kHz top-end rolloff will be more useful for the Thunderchild cabs.

The Thunderchild v4 was inspired by a luthier, several keyboardists, and a modeler. The main difference is that the V4 uses the same compression driver as what I've been using in the TC212 and TC115. So it has evolved into more of a "general purpose" cab, rather than only being a "hi-fi-ish bass cab".

The TC112v4 series includes the normal cab (like RColie has), an Acoustic Friendly version (like Slaymus has), and a UFT (Up-Firing Tweeter) version with the second horn on top of the cab facing up.

Passinwind, TomB, Slaymus and 4 others like this.
  7. Dominick C.

Dominick C.

Jul 2, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like mean people or mean comments....
    Thanks Duke!

Here is our singer playing roadie.

350C217C-0B3E-493F-B2E3-35968C3419CB.

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    That roadie is packing bass gear for some hard-assed over-the-road Prius tour miles. That’s pretty much what I look like when I load the Birdhaus into my wife’s Prius.

Nice job on the Tiny Desk Concert Audition vid. The distant flute-on-a-ladder is a nice bit of “proximity mixing” (assuming you’re arranged that way to “mix” yourself into a single mic, or stereo pair...?)

Singing, playing and arranging is quite nice too!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    DukeLeJeune likes this.
  9. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    All good Duke - sorry to cause a fuss!

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  10. Slaymus

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Received a pair of TC112. They were shipped with USPS/Canada Post. I think it was a bit pricier than Fedex, but Duke (and I) thought it was a safer way to avoid surprise fees.
    Anyway, USPS-Canada Post shipping went very well, just had to pay the federal and provincial taxes at the Post Office. Duke probably can quote you shipping price if needed for you to take your decision.

11. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

If you’re trying to keep the extraneous costs down, then the C112T is probably the best bang for the buck due to size and weight. A pair of them cannot be beat sonically and the schlep factor is also easier. Just my 0.02$.

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  12. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Looking Forward to (dreaming of) placing my long awaited order. I've been thinking Canada Post would be the best way to minimize duty fees. Every time I get a FedEx bill I feel that their brokerage rates are way high.

Lowendtech, DukeLeJeune and Slaymus like this.
  13. Slaymus

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Now owner of a pair of TC112AF v4 !!!
    Just had a brief testing time, but so far : great sounding cabs !
    Very neutral sounding, from lows to highs. Excellent dispersion and with the rear tweeter and ports, the sound comes from everywhere, even from behind the cab it sounds good : very impressive ! I guess it would be awesome for acoustic instrument.

Running in stereo (cabs far apart) with my Strymon pedals and 2x Acoustic Image Clarus SL, slapping B-String riff at good volume with delay and heavy dose of reverb was a very special moment. WOW ! Awesome immersive experience.
    Perfect for the solo projet I'm working on.

I also tried the cabs with half of the plugs and it tighten the sounds, making the cab more quick. I think with the 7k switch, it will be my go to setting for more regular playing in a band setting.

Build quality is great, nice portability.
    Will post a more detailed review next week.
    I know, no pics no cabs ! Here's a pic Duke gave me. Will post pics of my setup next week.
    TC112AFv4.JPG

14. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    i bet the imaging is insane with the af versions.

15. Slaymus

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Like my whole body was in a pair of giant headphones :bassist: Seems crazy, but it's first thing that came to my mind when I cranked these !

16. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    naw. i’ve run stereo with h1203s and t122v1s. i totally get it.

17. PA-Trick

PA-Trick

Jan 14, 2017
    I'm a bit late to the party, but the Changeling112T looks good in a Prius also here in Europe :D
    Initially I asked Duke for the exact dimensions, because it's important to me, that I can close the grey cover with my stack, 1 instrument and a small pedalboard in the trunk. The standard-cab actually fits to the centimetre :D

I haven't posted so far, but as a new audiokinesis-owner since january I can only repeat all the comments of Duke's great and fast communication and the sound of the cab.
    Importing to Europe is unfortunately a bit of a hassle so I'm kind of regretting not buying 2 cabs at once now :D

c112T_prius.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  18. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    I have a Hathor 1505 being shipped from Duke on Tuesday @landry.bass .... I will fill ya in on the details via PM once it arrives. Super pumped...now I need to figure out what to pair it with...thinkin to trade my Fender bassman 100T for something's non tube....I'm impatient on waiting those 45 seconds for the tubes to heat up. Lol. Third world problems. ;)

19. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Edit: Wherever Duke lives they've had some very nasty weather as of late and he is having some issues with flooding and falling trees.....so my cab will be delayed. Regardless, the bigger issue is their home and property losses. I can live without a bass cab. All the best to Duke and those that are in similar mother nature's path.

loopee likes this.
  20. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    Hadn’t heard about that - thanks for the heads up. I agree, health and safety are more important.