1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Jeez, Duke had these issues last year too.
    Hope everything is ok for him.

When you do get your cab, hook up with @RussT . I traded my C1533 to him for his TC212. I’d love to hear a pair of Dukes 15’s together.

graphics1988 likes this.
  2. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    We are way ahead of you Rich. We were hanging yesterday and Scott got a chance to hear mine. We talked about doing exactly what you mentioned. I have to imagine it will be ridiculous. Btw I found a company called Zeus covers in Montreal that makes nice padded custom covers. They did one for my berg and I have one on the way for my AK. $90 cdn including shipping and tax.

3. Lowendtech

Cool. I’m going to check them out.
    I’m going to need an invite for that gtg. Lol.
    I think Someone has a bass that I need to see. And I have amps.

4. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    We can make that happen. Anytime you are up for it.

Lowendtech likes this.
  5. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    I hadn't either - I'll touch base with him again and send him my wellwishes. I hope all is ok and everyone is safe.

wave rider and graphics1988 like this.
  6. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    8B5025E6-DD4F-4D45-8AFF-8F3C8BCB26A1. FF478739-0E1F-4011-ABD5-655C2A14E012. Played a gig last night at one of our regular spots that had, after 10 years, put in a stage. The band got there earlier than usual to make sure we’d fit, 2 gits, keys, drums, sax and myself along with 2 additional singers for a few tunes throughout the night. When I walked in holding my mighty H1203 there were smiles all around as most of the guys are used to monstrous bass cabs and the Hathor allowed more stage room for everyone.

At the end of the 4 hour gig the sax player and drummer, who were not our regulars, were gushing over the Hathor wanting details about what was it, where did it come from, it sounds awesome, etc.

Thanks again, Duke, for creating these fantastic cabs.

A couple pics. My cab is at the very end of the stage next to the large fender amp. I’m running it with a Genzler Magellan 800.

This is pretty much all I need right now but the thought of another one, like a tall perhaps, is really enticing.

nutdog, wave rider, GregC and 7 others like this.
  7. After a slightly longer wait than I expected, my 2 cabs have arrived. Duke has been awesome to work with. Both kind and very generous.

First off, I am blown away from what these cabs can do. And how they respond to each of my amps. With each amp I am getting a very different sound. I am using a Changling 12 and a Hathor 12. The Changeling's sound is truly 3D. I can hear myself as well next to and behind the amp. The tone is even across all of my strings. The tone is outstanding. But what I like the most is these cabs are so light they practically float in the air.

8. Hasn't everyone heard ....
    Climate change is a hokes - NOT!
    Prayers out to you, Duke!

9. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Ellerslie, Georgia
    Oh man. I hope every is safe and sound. This has been one heck of a tornado season so far. We're still digging out from last months weather drama in GA. The 4 inches of rain in 30 minutes last week felt like we got off easy.

10. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Well fortunately we only have inconvenience and expense, not disaster.

The ground is totally waterlogged and there's this big tree right next to our storage shed. The tree is maybe fifty feet tall, but it has a quasi-horizontal branch overhanging the shed (and the powerline to our house) that is almost as massive as the fifty-foot upshoot. Well it all started falling over a few days ago, when we had a strong wind (which is pretty often). The roots are pulling up so it's inevitable. The tree is now partially "resting" on the shed... but if all of its weight was placed on the shed I'm sure it would cave in. I have been up on a ladder chainsawing branches, trying to prop it up where I can with 2x8's, trying to keep it from pulling the power line out of the house, and emptying out the shed. Tomorrow (Monday) morning a tree removal crew comes in to cut it down. Chopping it up and disposing of it will be my job. Nope, insurance doesn't cover trees... only the damage it would do to the shed. And nope the power company doesn't get involved until the power line is actually down.

We still managed to have an Easter egg hunt for the grandkids. Had to lay down plywood to get 'em over the boggy areas (not plywood destined for bass cabs!), and we had a new rule for this year: "Hey kids, see those big long boards holding up grandpa's tree? Try not to bump them and knock them over. If you do, run like mad."

Seriously my 2x8's are probably just decoration; if the tree decides to come down it's coming down. But hopefully it spiced up the Easter egg hunt just a little bit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    He said chainsaw on a ladder. Crikey!

DukeLeJeune and wave rider like this.
  12. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    and don't use UPS either.......ONLY USPS and Canada Post

13. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Duke hard at work.

Safe Ladder Use.

14. Lowendtech

There so much wrong in that pic, it’s ridiculous. Cringey.

15. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    I know - WHO would wear a purple shirt like that one!!! That guy is crazy! He is gunna RUIN it!!!

DukeLeJeune, loopee, LeonD and 4 others like this.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    So, tell us about this new 2x8 design, and why you have so many of them laying around that you are using them to prop up falling trees! :woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, best wishes for a safe and economical resolution to this issue. Definitely gotta take Mother Nature seriously...

17. Lowendtech

It’s freakin amazing how coffee retains its heat whilst exiting one’s nose. Thanks guys. :roflmao:

18. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    This is a post about "The Other Duke".
    Incredibly talented and so humble.
    Kinda get the idea where he's coming from. So lucky for us that some of this tech made it over to the world of bass cabs.
    Very few if any bass cab builders have this kind of knowledge in their bag of tricks.
    Shine on.

.AudioKinesis Swarm Subwoofer System

19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    Reading this thread in its entirety reveals a pretty consistent pattern of a) AK cab tech questions; b) answers to those questions from Duke the Builder and users; c) gig reports, some with photos and video; and d) praise for Duke’s designs and general character and business practices.

I’ve come across brand-specific threads on other sites and after reading a bit, felt like I was looking at a pattern of heavily slanted fanboy asskissery. To me, that seems entirely absent here. Every single post I can remember seeing in this 7,500-page multi-chapter thread has been coherent, courteous and laden with either useful info or clever wit...often both. It’s like a condensed view of all that’s right about the Internet. Do you realize how remarkable that is? Sure, it’s an esoteric commodity—low production, high-end bass speaker cabinets wouldn’t attract the lowest common denominator, by whatever standards one might judge such a thing—but still! Not one whiner! Not one COMPLAINT!!! At least not one I remember reading.

Duke, keep doing what you do, man!

Joebone, tombowlus, RColie and 15 others like this.
  20. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    As proof of your concept, I submit plaudits for proper use of ‘esoteric’ in the knowledge that your target recipients understand what you mean.

The lowest common denominator is pretty high here. It’s a good corner of the interwebz.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019