Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by outofthedeep, Aug 13, 2004.

1. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    Just saw AlienVsPredator.....
    Impressions are :
    1) very short... it was like 1hr 15-20 minutes.
    2) action was pretty good, nothing spectacular though
    3)not much of a story line, but hey, it IS avp after all... nothing much to that

Overall I give it a 7 out of 10.... great movie to see w/ the guys at the theatre, but definitly not a date movie.... unless she's into that.. :)

catch the matinee and save a few bucks on on decent action flick
  2. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I really want to see it, but a friend of mine already ruined the ending. :( :eyebrow:
  3. how could your friend ruin the ending? the catchphrase gives away the ending...whoever wins, we lose...

i haven't seen the movie yet, but apparantly we lose....

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there are so many awesome potential stories in the comics, and yet the movie was so ---weak--- i dont' know. :(. i've been waiting for this movie for years and years, and i was really disappointed.
  5. That site can be misleading. Hellboy got a rating of 77%, but I thought it was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen...at least as bad as League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
  6. I was also dissapointed by the movie and would rate it probably a 7/10. But I also saw Collateral which totally made up for it. Now that's a great movie!
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    every movie that either of them was in was rated R (i believe)

and this is rated PG-13. i knew it was gonna be weak
  8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've heard it was pretty much a POS except for the fight scenes, which are watered down to get that PG-13 rating. :scowl:

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I thought Hellboy was alright (like a 7/10), a heluva lot better than LXG. I loved the Lovecraftian monsters.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wait for the tuesday late night movie of the week.

fight scenes were tepid at best, and nowhere near as good as the originals.

heck, i woulda been happy with an ah-nold cameo.
  11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i didn't think this was that bad of a movie. i would see it again. there were some corny parts in it, but the predator and alien did look badass, and all the visuals were awsome. i didn't really like that it was pg-13 either, since all alien and predator movies were rated R, this one should have been rated X. i would definitely give this a 7/10 though, it was cool seeing both characters in a movie again, together.
  12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    HEY, I liked the league. Anything with Sean Connery is worth liking.
  13. some one PM me and just tell me if the humans won..if so I am NEVER seeing it. If not I will atleast rent it, if not go to theaters.

I bet they do, I hate how most monster movies end :scowl:
  14. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    You all should just play the "Aliens vs. Predator" pc game series. The story don't get much betta than thaat! :smug:
  15. For a movie that was 8 years in the making I was extremely disapointed.
    It was in year 2004, well before any other Alien movie.

The queen was way too large.

They spent too much time on the storyline of the humans.

The predators weren't as strong and ruthless as previously portrayed.

The aliens were easily killed by a woman with a sharp stick, not something common in their line of movies at all.

There were spider webs in the building when they first got to antarctica, spiders can't survive that temperature.

I didn't like the idea that the aliens weren't even aliens they were created by the predators as things to hunt, that was retarded.

They spent too much time dwelling on how the aliens multiplied, more or less just for people who never saw the other movies.

There were no memorable kills in the movie like in all the other alien or predator movies, as in you can't say "Hey remember when that one guy died from______".

The Queen after escaped was way too "dinosaur-y"

The way the girl could stand in that climate wearing something I wear in the summer here didn't make any sense.

And yes the movie was pretty short, I thought it was going to keep going at the end for at least another half hour to an hour.

All that aside I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
  16. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I, like most diehard fans of Predator and/or Alien fame, did feel a little let down after seeing the movie. I give it a 6 out of 10 because, like previously mentioned here the storyline was weak and the acting was just bad.
    The high points were seeing both of the creatures again, even though the timid fight scenes between the two were shot too close up to actually see much of what was going on.
    The biggest let-down was the "bonding" of the Predator with the woman...that was weak. I was hoping he'd tear her head off at any moment! It was also pretty cheesy to see him give her the homeade weapons made from the body of the slain Alien. I thought the Queen Alien was portrayed pretty well all except her size at the very end. I waited for this movie for a long time and it could've been done much better...here's to hoping the sequel will be better.
    By the way...anyone see the similarity of Weylend's middle name being "Bishop" and if so gimme some opinions on Lance playing the part of a guy with this name in another Alien related movie.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They should have done the real AvP arc with Machiko and Broken Tusk. That would have been a badass movie. Actually the AvP/AvP: War arc would have done nicely.

I knew it was gonna be, well, less than great when it had a PG-13 rating. C'mong, the two most feared races in the universe, and it's a PGer? It didn't bode well at all.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny, that's the plot of the real AvP/AvP War story arc, and it's done rather well.
  19. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    We went to see this movie recently. It was ok,,,we were all expecting it to suck horribly. It didnt' suck horribly, but I sure didn't walk out going, "Wow that was great!"

What cheesed me was the Aliens inconsistencies. Case in point, The spider things that serve as the egg layers, are supposed to be on there for days, & then after they fall off, the victim stays comatose for a day or two, & then wakes up & is ok for a day or two, before the young alien bursts its way out. So, for the sake of this movie, what is supposed to take a week or so,,, was shortenend down to a couple of hours.

But, we don't go see these movies for great story, its all about suspense & action, & that's what it does deliver!