B-E-A-D? What genre[s] do you play?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by howlin, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Metal

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Rock

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Country

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Latin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Jazz

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Blues

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. R & B / Soul

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Hip Hop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Elvis Tribute

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    After creating this thread I went through all the posts and started to wonder if everyone that strings their basses B-E-A-D only plays metal [or the like] or if the genres are more across the board. With that in mind I decided to start this thread out of curiosity.

Vote as you like. Comment as you will. It will be interesting . . . :thumbsup:

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Doom Metal, Prog Rock, Jazz Fusion and Big Band. Sometimes it's quite a reach, thinking about moving to 6 strings.

3. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    I use BEAD (actually BbEbAbDb) for the metal part of my bands set. That said, Ross Valory from Journey has used BEAD tuning forever just so he could always have access to those low notes.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I used BEAD in a female fronted modern country band (see my avatar). I found many of the songs with notes below traditional E, and with me having small hands, a 4 in BEAD made more sense to me than a five string.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022