1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BA210 v2 - castors or cart?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt_Really, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Matt_Really

Matt_Really

Mar 15, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Hey, guys, first time poster, longtime lurker.

Last week, I purchased a new Ampeg BA210 v2. I love the amp itself and couldn’t be happier with the purchase. The only “problem” I’m having with it is the weight. While 48 pounds isn’t horrendously heavy, I’m beginning to realize that it’s quickly going to take a toll on my already aging and previously injured back, if I don’t figure out some way to transport it more easily/efficiently.

This brings me to the purpose of my post. I wanted to ask your opinion about casters vs. some sort of cart/dolly. Initially, I was leaning toward just putting some casters on the amp itself, as I’d prefer not to have yet another piece of gear to keep up with. My only concern is whether putting castors on an amp reduces the value of the amp or not, either literally or aesthetically. While this is the amp I’ve been wanting for a while now and I don’t anticipate needing to sell it anytime soon, if ever, I would still like to make sure that I don’t compromise the future potential value by putting holes in the amp housing.

Opinions?

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Just get this and call it a day. Weighs next to nothing and folds flat. I've been using one for years.
    Shop Milwaukee 150-lb Capacity Red Steel Folding Hand Truck at Lowes.com

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I like the cart approach and prefer not to drill holes in, or attach things to cabs. The cart can also be used for other gear you may need to load in/out for a gig, or any other use for that matter.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Stumbo and Al Kraft like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    alaskaleftybass, Al Kraft and Stumbo like this.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    And reasonably priced. Check your local big box home improvement store,sometimes on special. Or Harbor Freight.

two fingers likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I wouldn't add casters, the amp can roll around if they don't have locks. It would affect the look and modifications have an impact on the value and warranty.

I think that a dolly or cart is the best way to go.

8. Matt_Really

Matt_Really

Mar 15, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the quick replies, guys, and the welcome, @two fingers!

That cart does look handy and 25 bucks is a pretty reasonable price, as long as it doesn't wear out too quickly.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    BTW, a castor is a beaver. :laugh:

10. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I've had my MagnaCart version for years and it's been used to haul all kind of stuff as well as my cabs.

11. Matt_Really

Matt_Really

Mar 15, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Ha! I actually realized my mistake, after I created the thread, but I was only able to edit the thread body, not the title. I had no idea it was a beaver! I was probably thinking of the oil, originally, hehe.

Wisebass and beans-on-toast like this.
  12. The cart is my vote.
    That gives you more flexibility...
    If you had to load in a cab in a tight space with castErs, then having the cart might make all the difference.
    Plus you can use the cart to move other stuff.

Welcome to the land of a million different opinions of the most minute differences.
    I think you'll get off easy with this question in spite of the beaver police.
    (I didn't know that either!)

Try asking what kind of P bass is best for Metal and see what happens. :woot:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    alaskaleftybass and Al Kraft like this.
  13. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  14. Matt_Really

Matt_Really

Mar 15, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Haha, don't worry! I've lurked around here long enough to know better than to step in that bear trap.

15. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
  16. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Welcome to TB, Matt. Add my vote for the hand cart as well.

As a previous owner of the BA-210v2, I understand your plight. You're right, it's not that the combo is that heavy, but because of the shape it's cumbersome. What I would have liked Ampeg to do was install a couple of side handled instead of the single strap on top. The cart makes it a moot point.

Great tone out of that amp though. Enjoy!

17. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I usually have to stack the PA head along with my Bass head on top of my bass cab. So, casters make my life easier as I'm always having to get behind my rig during setup etc.

18. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Cart, I use the Magna Cart myself, third one. One stolen, one blew up after a couple of months and they replaced it without rancor.

I've drilled cabs before for casters, better on a cart

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  19. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    I put casters on my Fender Rumble 75. I believe it's 52 pounds. They are always with the amp and nobody borrows them to move their own gear. That's an excellent upgrade for a small price.

20. tchristian

tchristian Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Missoula, MT
    My vote is casters. Like Ampslut, I like being able to move the whole stack (410, 115, tube amp) around on stage for placement and for cabling and whatever. I can roll the whole stack out onto the porch of the studio for load out, or out of the venue over relatively rough terrain. BTW, I pulled those cheesy POS Ampeg casters off and threw them in the bin. Once those pieces of guano lose their stay-power they dangle half in half out of their sockets and create havoc. Worst go---amn use of wheels ever. Roland keyboard amps have 'em too. Probably lots of other manufacturers. Damned nuisance. Oh, and the . . . . . wait, oh sorry, got to ranting :(

I won't try tilting my whole rig onto a dolley, but I agree those foldable hand trucks are great. I don't hesitate to take a piece at a time with them.