Babicz Full Contact Hardware Bridge review

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SeayBass, Feb 8, 2012.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Do you think that the increase in low end/change in sound you get may possibly be due to a different material used?
    Material does have an impact.

2. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    I'm really impressed with how much of a better difference a bridge can make. Rather, this bridge. I wasn't expecting much, but it's good.

3. drainaudio

drainaudio Guest

Aug 17, 2012
    @ tekdiver..

The only difference you'll hear is under one of two conditions:
    a) unplugged
    b) in your imagination.

Sorry, but that's the truth. Bridges make little to no sonic difference in the sound.

***** Wow, let's edit this for accuracy:
    Unfortunately the only difference MY ears can detect is.....but I'm going to confuse this thread with a whole bunch of I'm an expert type posts declaring one of the most fundamental aspects of an instruments tone, sustain & intonation as essentially irrelevant..... :help:

I'm not even going to get into the ridiculousness of declaring the acoustic properties of an instrument as not affecting the amplified characteristics......that's covered in solid body instruments 101, common sense sense section b. I believe..

To everyone else - cheers for the info, I've ordered one of these to go on a CIJ 90's non-export P-Bass I just purchased I'll also be fitting a set of EMG X but I'll do the bridge first & make some observations.

The design on paper looks really good & I've now also gotten in touch with them re purchasing one of their acoustics which also seem pretty damn amazing.

Just changing the stock Gibson nut, bridge & tailpiece on an 80's LP Special for GraphTech & TonePros parts recently made an incredible difference to that guitar, so much so that those same changes were immediately made to all of our LP's.

I expect the same sort of improvement will apply using the Babicz, experience tells me I won't be disappointed.

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    How informative - it'll sound different when it's unplugged, but the variation won't be detectable once it's plugged in, and if differences in mass and stability don't matter, then a solid rosewood body will sound the same as balsa. :meh:

5. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

May 17, 2009
    Cumbria, UK
    hiya people,

just a question for you's - Is the Babicz only compatible with Fender basses? Ive noticed everyone who has put one of these on their bass has a Fender or a Squier. I am interested in switching the bridge out on my Yamaha TRB and was wondering if this bridge would be compatible ?(with a bit of drilling i can imagine?)

thanks

6. kurosawa

kurosawa Guest

Jan 27, 2001
    York County, Virginia
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. That did suck. I think I got away with totally removing just 1 or 2, I forget which.

7. kurosawa

kurosawa Guest

Jan 27, 2001
    York County, Virginia
    Thanks, better than trying to put it into words!

8. Highpost

Highpost

Feb 14, 2011
    ny. nyc
    Thx!

9. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,385 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    They just announced a single rail system. Buy them for 4,5, or 6 strings and you can put them on any bass with any string spacing.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151085095858183&set=a.343499078182.151399.8249808182&type=1&theater

10. Tbers,

It seems the Babicz FCH is comparable to the locking saddle design on the G&L basses. Many TBers have written how the sustain out of the locking design on the G&Ls makes a real difference. It cannot be all that bad when a bridge is truly FCH ready. Full contact should make a difference, especially the way in which this bridge is designed!

My $.02 only! Peace.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have one of the aluminum bridges it's very solid and I like that in a bridge and the customer service is incredible but I have to agree with Tek at least for me I didn't notice any difference in the sound

12. Johnnyburn

Johnnyburn Guest

Oct 8, 2012
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Got my Babicz the last day of the sale at GC yesterday for 49.00! Last one they had too...

13. I had a Leo Quan Badass Bass II bridge on my Schecter 1982 custom P bass for 25 years. Due to bad choice of luthiers, had to replace the Badass. (He destroyed it) . I was always happy with the Badass (and they are a heavy mother). I replaced it with the Babicz FCH. I was apprehensive about it when it arrived (mine was made in Korea and also very light). I installed it and set it up and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of sustain. A little bit less bottom end than the L.Q, but overall very good

Attached Files:

14. Highpost

Highpost

Feb 14, 2011
    ny. nyc
    That's a hot looking bass. So you traded a little bass heft for more sustain and clarity?

15. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Gibson chose it as the stock bridge for they're new EB basses. Not sure if that's good or bad ;)

16. I guess so. At first, I wanted a new LQ badass gold plated, but they were out of stock for so long, so went for the Babicz and was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for the compliment. Here's another pic.

Attached Files:

17. deepender

deepender

Jan 7, 2014
    Maryland
    If you don't mind my cross-over from the Mikro Bass Club... I have been experimenting with bringing an inexpensive bass ($169) into a better class of instruments. Along with filing the nut, adjusting the neck, etc., I installed EMGs PJX pickups and preamp and then later the Babicz Bridge. Imagination or not, what I experienced with the Babicz bridge was an immediately stronger and more stable note that lasted longer. No doubt, the same results can probably result from another good solid bridge instead of the junk that we get on, say, a Mikro. But as for the Babicz... Me likey!

18. babaseen

babaseen Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    After reading this thread and few others I have decided to also replace the bridge on my Sadowsky Modern 24-5 with the Babicz. I have already replaced the bridges with Babicz on my Status S-2 plus my Fender MIJ 70's P-bass and it made a difference IMHO. It's hard to explain but I'm a slapper and the feel and tone just seemed better overall. Caveat: it's all in my head I'm sure....but if it makes me think I have a better instrument then it's worth it for me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    ez-rhino likes this.
  19. basslust

basslust Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Figured I would quote this here since I received a used P bass today with one of these bridges and it is missing one of these screws. Now I guess I'll be tracking down a replacement... Hopefully not too hard to find.

20. SeayBass

SeayBass Supporting Member

Yep. I've lost screws and spacers. A problem: without the spacers the screws dug into the finish. Problem.

basslust likes this.