Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bald headed men, and Self Esteem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Curious, how many people on T/B are bald? either

1: by choice,,,,like myself
    2: or by nature

I have been wearing it bald for over 20 years since the Military, never had it effect my self-esteem at all, and..
    "I don't have a perfect head" as I hear many people say is a requirement to go/be bald. and although it is a multi-million if not billion dollar industry, which seems to suggest a man with a head full of hair is a confident man. i.e...if you have hair, you get the woman/jobs etc, and feel better about yourself. I think it's about how one carries themself that determine what you get in life, hair or no hair.

Thoughts???

SIDEBAR... some women actually think men with bald heads are sexy, I know also that some women would kill their mate if they came home one day bald....

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm bald.... I just started using the Headblade....

:D :)

3. Not bald, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I might head that way, especially if I become a cop.

Rock on
    Eric

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

My dad's bald, and he looks cool IMO.

But I won't be bald as age, my mom's brothers and dad have fairly healthy hair for their age (my gramps especially!)

Plus my hair is too cool to go away.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I still have a full head of hair, but I keep it high and tight. My Dad's bald, and if I my hairline starts going back, I'll take the razor to my scalp. Most of the balding guys I work with either use a razor or keep it really short. IMO this looks 100% better than a mid-life-crisis-hair-weave (which is totally obvious to everyone else), and 1000% better looking than a comb over.

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Chicks dig Dr. Phil.

I have always had a very thick full head of hair but after my ex-wife put a curse on me 10 years ago I have noticed that it is receding a bit in the front and thinning a little at the crown. When buzz it I can see it more but when I let it grown it kinda covers it up.
    When it comes down to it I would just go with the bald instead of combing over or wearing a rug. I would consider a transplant if I thought that being bald looked stupid on me.
    I look at some guys that are bald and think it looks perfect on them and then I see other guys and think it isn't a look for them.
    The cool thing about being bald would be no bed head or hat hair problems.;)

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I shave mine 2 times a week. Trust me, no self esteem problems here. ;)

Chicks dig it.

8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm totally gonna be bald. It's in my genes. My dad. My brothers. My grandpa.

I'm screwed.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

+1000

Nothing says "I'm a pathetic loser" like a comb-over, a rug, or plugs...well, except that spray on junk, which says "I'm the biggest pathetic loser in the universe".

;)

If I ever start to go bald, I'm going to just "roll with it" and shave it all off. I have zero emotional attachment to my hair - although my fiancee LOVES it and is egging me to grow it long (anyone wanna guess how that's going to end up? ;) ). However, at 42 years, I have the exact same hairline that I did at .42 years, but it is a LOT darker now, when I see baby pics of myself I flip out, it was WHITE! :eek:

10. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Could always get a musicman and go for the Tony Levin...

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm bald by choice, most of the time. (I've been lazy lately, and haven't shaved it in two weeks) Contrary to most, I feel more confident without hair - the Vin Deisel feeling? - and women do love it. I can't count how many times a complete stranger has asked to touch my head! :cool:

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    what packard said :D

13. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm in about the same boat as you - my hairline's been receding very slowly since I was about 20 (I'm 45 now). It's still hanging in there but I buzz it with a 1/8" guard on the clippers. It's never really bothered me and I like the low maintenance of really short hair.

14. smitcat

smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    i am 24, soon to be 25, and have a receeding hairline. I keep it pretty short. At first it bothered me quite a bit, but I have just come to realize that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. I have a great girl, great friends, and am really happy. And it will be that way with or without my hair. As long as you are happy in life, then that is all that matters.

15. I've got way too much hair (and very thick hair, might I add). I can get my hair cut fairly short today, and it'll be long, thick, and unmanagable in 2 weeks! Barbers always comment about how much hair I have, and I have often told them I'd wished I were bald. Tried shaving all my hair off once, about 20 years ago... I looked downright scary. So, I guess I'm cursed with all this hair, which will no doubt still be there when I'm 110!

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Some guys can totally pull it off. Examples on TB -- Packman and James Hart.

Me? Nah, I couldn't do it. But, luckily, it's not in my genes to be bald. It wouldn't look good at all on me. Alternately, one of the guys I take lessons from, Mike Perlin, is bald as a cueball and he definitely pulls it off. I don't know if he had a receding hairline or what originally, but he does definitely shave it now. IMO, facial hair helps...just don't get one of those moustaches that attaches to your sideburns. Gross.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    My chick loooooovvveeeessss it when I shave my head, she said it makes me look like a hot evil genius.

Well... I am evil.

18. I had long hair in high school.. then had a shaved head for ten years - I mastered imitating Dr Evil, and now am starting to grow my hair out again

I have friends that say they miss my bald head since I do the "evil" thing so well.....:(

But now I can pull off some Tom Green!

19. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I had my hair exactly how I wanted it last year. Perfect length, perfect color and everything. Then I got cancer and it fell out with the chemo. I still have a hard time walking by a mirror and seeing myself and convincing myself that it's me in the mirror.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002