Band names that make you shake your head

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Apr 27, 2016.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've been hearing of these guys recently getting a lot of acclaim on our awesome local independent station KEXP. When I finally heard some of what they do, I have to admit to having been impressed ... but the name seems really reaching for bland. I've read right here that some people think the Beatles is a silly name (I've heard much worse), & I've even almost bought records by the likes of the D***s and the Urinals (at least those names are kind of a good indicator of what to expect musically.)

Ladies and gents, I give you Car Seat Headrest!

2. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    This thread could get interesting...

Butt Trumpet:

The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza

Gay for Johnny Depp
    Belief In God Is So Adorable'

"Hank Plank and the 2 x 4's"
    Roll on Columbia

Creede, Strung_Low, Spectrum and 4 others like this.
  3. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    ^ ha, I always got a chuckle out of Butt Trumpet ... I assume that's what they're going for. Car Seat Headrest makes me think they were in a car when trying to come up with a name, and just used the first thing they saw

+6dB Dan and Matthew_84 like this.
  4. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Anal ****

(mod edit: sorry- I know it takes away the point to edit it out, but we had to)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016
  5. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    In San Francisco I've known of many strange real band with strange real names.
    No vids - but some memories:
    -Peanut Butter Fly
    -Don King's Hair
    -JFKFC
    -The F Holes

And I was once in a band called "Poultry in Motion." We did an actual gig with 2 other bands: "Chicken Coup de Ville," and "Tastes Like Chicken."

6. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The F-holes are a 30+ year old and still running Seattle band that we used to share a practice space with! They're good local rockers, and most musicians should know what an F-hole is ... although recently Facebook has given them 2 weeks to change their name! (Apparently no musicians on the FB morality committee!)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    47th Street and silvertone like this.
  7. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Again, their name at least indicates their sound

8. SUNN O))) is the one that really annoys me. A $$$$$ band ripping off the name of a very respectable former amp maker....

A funny one:
    In the Portland area there are rival bands Pizza Time and Pizza Party (both play punk music) and they sometimes play the same bill.

9. matty1039

matty1039

Oct 26, 2015
    New Orleans
    My current band name is IBS. We get some looks, but it does lend itself to some good jokes. The next act one night mentioned a stool being left on stage after we left.

Gazman, jacolyte, kesslari and 5 others like this.
  10. I really really really don't want to sound like a little tattletale here, but you guys should fully censor some of those words :p Just a warning!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  11. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yea, careful peeps! Lest ye be getting a Mod warning notification in your inbox.

Offensive names don't really phase me, and I understand the concept of trying to one up the last band in the punk and other non radio friendly genres. I give some of those points for gross creativity :vomit:

47th Street, CatSquare and Rugmaster like this.
  12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

@%$# @%$#

13. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Funny that, there's a pizza related band here that practices in the same building we currently do. Even the Home Alone star has a pizza themed band that tours nationally, I believe.

I like pizza as much (if not more, as I'm Italian :rolleyes: ) than the next guy, but these pizza theme bands truly are over the top, & do make me shake my head! :rollno:

Esoge, GregC and PortlandBass77 like this.
  14. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Is that really a band, or are you trying to not get 'banned' again :nailbiting:

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Where do you think The Supremes got their name? That's a pizza topping selection.

16. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Oh I got ya .. they were brought up in post #4

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  17. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    The 60's band names were soooo dry, generic and bad. I mean The Box Tops for example? Is that supposed to be cleaver? Strawberry alarm clock?:thumbsdown: Bad.

The Flaming Lips come to mind.

18. I was in a band called Dr Banana's Mirage for while. There was also Eggie Rumdrum and the offbeats, when the first broke up. One of the guys was called Luke Drongo - although his real name was Charles Riddlescombe.

19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I wonder how many people were shaking their heads back in the 60s and 70s at names like Hot Tuna, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Led Zeppelin, Mothers of Invention, Iron Butterfly, Cream, Grateful Dead.... etc., etc.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sorry - some of these names sound like an 8 year old came up with them. I'm all for humor, but...

Bassdirty and twinjet like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022