"Band Wars"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    In my area, there is a kind of war between bands of different styles of music. It's basically between the Emo kids who churn out MTV pop-punk music, and everyone else.

Last night there was a local show where some pretty cool bands were playing. It was also headlined by a local screamo band. They sat in the back and talked amongst themselves about how these other bands sucked so much, and they ruled and were going to be famous.

You may like emo, and that's cool, but these other bands were soo much more talented than the emo band. One band in particular was getting pretty angry at the shouts from the emo guys in the back. So they said something to the effect of Yeah, you guys wear makeup so it looks like you're crying on stage (ex. My Chemical Romance)... And you're guys... But I guess that's cool. So the emo guys basically made them end their set and yelled at them in front of everyone for 20 minutes about how You can't do this to us, we're headlining this show!

It almost escalated into violence after that. All the fans of the emo band were all drugged out on who knows what and ready to fight. So I left, so pissed that these guys cut off a really talented band, and they're all good friends of mine (the guitarist is a real prodigy, in my opinion).

Have you ever encountered band wars like this on your local scene I guess this one has been escalating for a long time. There were defaced posters and alot of tough guy talk I guess.
  2. That's nuts. I wouldn't worry too much about that emo band. Typically, if people in a music scene are a-holes, they tend to get blacklisted out of playing venues, etc.
  3. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK

...and tend to never go anywhere with their music apart from playing to their mates...in the venues they're allowed in!

4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Ah, emo. The bastard child of grunge and '80s hair metal.

As I was looking for a parking spot at a show the other day, I saw an emo kid and his (amazingly enough) totally normal looking girlfriend leave another club. They crossed the street in front of me and drove off in a Honda Element with tiny tires that was covered with kanji stickers and had a huge tailpipe.

Can we say "identity crisis"? :)

5. I'm really hoping these guys weren't older than eleventeen...
  6. Seriously, though, man. Don't even bother to worry about the emo kids. Listen to this, and you proberbly know it, "THEY ARE GOING NOWHERE." In my town, the clubs and venue is flooded with emo bands, and they all play the same thing. I am trying to force my band away from that direction, cause in the end, everybody will just be playing the same stuff. I am not saying emo is bad , but I think it's overated and overplayed. So, yeah, don't even worry about those band.
  7. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Yeah, they were young, I think they're juniors in high school. The band that I was there to see (that got cut off for "making fun of the emo kids") was a band from my college, cool guys who I've known since high school. They play a kind of funk-inspired rock with some classic rock influences. Good stuff, they've matured alot in the past year.
  8. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    all's fair in love and war.

Let the fans decide, trash-talking comes with the territory.
  9. I'm in Louisville Ky, and there are alot of very talented bands in our area that are bashed constantly by the hardcore/metal bands. Its sad to see some really good bands, whether they be emo or otherwise, cut off by a-holes. Support your local music scene, regardless of music type. We're all in this for the same purpose.
  10. the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    funky punky reggae> everything> polka-core > emo

musical hierarchy, emo = bottom
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Emo is not as bad as hardcore kids gangs... going around dressing the same, bandana color identity skinny as all hells, emo, Moshing and doing karate at same time...
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Juniors in high school, drugged up, and EMO. Dude...unless y'all were outnumbered about 20:1, then they would've gotten cleaned right up.
  13. I carry a knife everywhere I go because of these people. Not so I can cut them, but so I can give it to them so they can cut themselves.

Side Note: This little emo kid, with the crying makeup and chains and baggy dark clothes, got the hell beat out of him after pulling a shank on his girlfriend when she confronted him about cheating on her. I wish I could have been there to see that.
  14. Ok, maybe I'm a bit slow, but what's emo? I think we might call that something else here in Aus but I'm not sure.
  15. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Thats whats so bad about emo kids. Not only is theyre music depressing and promoting stupid things like being sad, they're so ignorant. To them, they're music is the best and everything else sucks.

Emo is just another trend. It'll die out soon. How can I tell? The majority of the kids at my school is emo/screamo/hardcore which means its another trend. Almost all this new music is pure crap with no heart and no skill.

God, musics dead. When kids learn 3 chords and start a band. Is this the future of music?

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

ah ah ah not NO heart, a broken heart! :p
  17. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Profile action.
  18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

OH MAN! I nearly died laughing when I saw that. A shame it's too long for my MSN name...damn that's funny.
  19. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    /\ Says it all, I love to make fun of the Emo kids...
  20. LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    pretty much everyone in my school exept for me, my jazz/rock/funk friends and the hip-hop peopleess in my school are all emo. I opened a gig (first one for my band) and an amamzing college alt. rock band played. The emo/screamo band was yelling and making fun of them but they turned out to suck. I hate screamo more than emo. for whoever asked what emo is, emo is a style of music (thursday, taking back sunday, coheed, and any other band that sounds more like crying than singing) that turned into a basic fad and style. someone put a funny link here about emo.