1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barefaced One10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azwipe, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    What are the duty, tax, and shipping charges applied to BF products shipped to the US? Thinking about a BB2 but this new One 10 is intriguing too.

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Depends how they ship. It's value based. FedEx charged me when I got my SM and I think it was $50 ish but I can't remember. Got a SC via USPS and got no charge.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    How does the combination of the BB2 and 1-10 sound as a pair?

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Good question. Sorry but I haven't had a chance to try the One 10 with either the Big Baby 2 or the Super Midget that I own. As soon as I do, I'll come back with some comments. I also need to play some bass guitar through it since this is the Bass Guitar Forum. So far I have only played upright through it, driven by one of the original AI Clarus SL amps.

Erik

5. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006

I asked Alex about this and he said, sonically speaking, the Super Midget would be a better cab to use as a pair with the BB2. The One10 probably sounds great, too, but according to Alex it's a bit more colored and doesn't have the same top end range and clarity of the BB2 and Super Midget. Curious about your hands on perceptions - especially for doubling. Probably good to first have the One10 well broken in as I understand these cabs require that process to achieve their true tone.

6. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Bethlehem, PA
    I just received my BB2 last week. GAS relief. I finally found the sound that I was looking for in a light cabinet. I received it quickly too.
    Ordered it the 1st week of September. Barefaced shipped it FedEx on Tuesday Sept 8 and it arrived at my house in Bethlehem, PA Sept 9.

I also splurged for the cover, Speakon Connector and T-Shirt. All are nice quality.

Today, 9/21, I just received a $59.43 bill from FedEx for Duties, Tax and other fees.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Plutonium244 and monsterthompson like this.
  7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Already emailed you back, but for anyone else, if you go here you can find out:

New Import Duty & Taxes Calculation | DutyCalculator

The Super Compact and One10 are categorised as 'loudspeaker (single element or diaphragm)', all other models are categorised as 'loudspeaker'. Enter 0 for both shipping cost and insurance cost (they're included within the prices on our site). That should work for everywhere - and the cab is coming from the United Kingdom if you didn't know!

Plutonium244 likes this.
  8. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Oh, and the short answer is that if you're in the USA, it's not a lot, maybe 5% - the benefit of living in a low tax economy!

9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Trust me. I'd pay higher taxes if it would sort other shenanigans out ;)

10. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Ukiah Bass,

I've not had the right gigging situation yet for the new speaker--yesterday's job was an outdoor 30's swing gig on upright without PA support. Because I was concerned about volume and overloading the One 10, I took the Super Midget instead. Upcoming gigs include a 17-piece loud big band and a quartet backing a female vocalist in a jazz club with a back line amp wired into the PA so I've yet to get the perfect gig to try out the new speaker.

However, I did spend a bunch of time today with both upright and bass guitar in my large front hall (15' X 25' with a 12' ceiling) and wanted to post a more complete answer to your question. I'm not a professional equipment reviewer, just a jobbing musician, so I might not have the lingo down, but here are my thoughts in sort of random order.
    1. The One10 alone gets incredibly loud with no farting out at all on the E string with either upright or BG. I was driving the speaker(s) with an Acoustic Image Focus Series III so there was gobs of clean power. The upright has a bridge wing piezo pickup called the Revolution Solo. To make the double bass sound "right," I set the high pass filter to about 85 hz, and for BG, I rolled it all the way down to the lowest setting of 35 hz. On upright I get a very punchy and yet fat and rich sound that is clean as a whistle, mirrors the sound of my bass but projects like crazy. The One10 is much fatter when sitting on the ground and I put it down on the long side so that the cylindrical port was pointing out the side and not down to the bottom. When I put a speaker on the floor, I like to slip a foam wedge under the speaker so that I can hear it better and this would cover up the port if it was sitting with the narrow end down. The One10 also sounded good when played alone while sitting on top of another speaker--boomy rooms may well call for the speaker to be up off the floor.
    2. This was the first time I played a BG (Status Graphite 4-string Streamliner) through the speaker and was bowled over by what a fat funky sound it produced with just the One10 on its own. For smaller pub gigs where there is no drummer or the drummer isn't super loud, I think you could get by just fine with this speaker alone. Certainly for a drummer-less duo or trio playing background jazz in almost any size room, or any kind of folky or bluegrass gig, the One10 will do the job on either/both upright and BG.
    3. Somewhat surprisingly I didn't like the sound of the One10 with the Big Baby 2 although I love the sound of the SuperMIdget paired with the BB2. The BB2 alone has been a wonderful speaker, particularly as a stage monitor with a loud 5-horn band in a touring Rat Pack theatre show that I play with. It is a bit hard to describe why I didn't like the One10/BB2 pairing but the sonic palette just didn't seem to mesh that well. It helped when I turned the crossover on the BB2 almost all the way to the side that favours the woofer and not the horn.
    4. However, the pairing of the SuperMidget and the One10 is absolutely wonderful and I highly recommend this pairing for both upright and BG. Loud, rich, clean, punchy and well disbursed are descriptors that come to mind. This will be a rig that I'll go out with often especially since the One10 fits in a Cajon bag and the SuperMidget fits in a Bass Cajon bag, making transport safe and relatively easy. I didn't want to stop playing this combination.
    Having owned a ton of small speakers (Wizzy 10, Schroeder 10, Acme B-1, GK 112MBX, Arnopol composite Crazy 8) the Barefaced One10 is the very best one I've played to date and I could have saved a ton of money if they had come along sooner. Since this forum is on the BG side of TalkBass, I'm going to put up a similar posting on the Double Bass forum as well since I don't think the acoustic crowd has really discovered the beauty of these speakers. Barefaced Speakers are the first that I've found that sound equally good with both upright and BG, and this is rare indeed.

Cheers,

Erik Hansen aka Lownote
    Edinburgh, Scotland

11. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Thanks for that very generous response, Erik! My BB2 just arrived yesterday and I'm in the midst of breaking it in. Wonderful tone and I'm amazed at how lightweight it is! It's so relatively small and light that now I'm wondering if I really need something smaller for "quieter" gigs. Based on what Alex told me, I'm not surprised the One10 does not pair well with the BB2, but can understand how it gets close with the BB2 tweeter dialed off. That Super Midget tweeter/crossover must be behaving differently than the BB2 crossover for its "good" pairing you described with the One10.

BTW, I was Arnopol's first commercial customer for the composite Crazy8. I bought three - two as mains in my home studio PA. Ended up having to have all three rebuilt in wood by JHAWK as the fiberglass disintegrated around the screw holes. Love the C8 for acoustic gigs but it's not quite "girthy" enough for electric if you need higher volume (although using a HPF helps). The HPF really helps dial out low-frequency piezo junk. I've also owned an Acme B1, Genz Benz 110, and other 10s so like you I've been down that road. Sounds like the One10 is a top tier contender in that niche.

12. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Sorry to hear that about the C8.

13. LowNote

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Oooh, that may explain my issues with my Crazy 8 as well. Lately it has been rattling and making a bit of noise. I tried tightening up all of the screws, but some didn't seem to be holding that well and I wasn't pleased with the results, particularly given how much money I spent on this speaker. I would like to avoid having to have it completely rebuilt but I also imagine the speaker and hardware are pretty expensive and that may be the only way to salvage some of my investment. Since I'm in the U.K. and the not the U.S. I wonder if there is someone over here who could do that for me?

14. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood

Check the GB forums. When my Arnopol cab fiasco happened, I was able to find a local who tried to help.
    ...or just shortcut to what I did by getting rid of all that and finally becoming a Barefaced convert. Might be a good course of action since you are in the UK.

15. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Thanks for the comprehensive review Erik - look forward to hearing more gig reports!

Regarding your rattling composite cab, if it is self-tapping screws coming loose then you should be able to solve the problem with a couple of C-shapes of plywood with holes in the relevant bolt positions, some bolts, t-nuts and epoxy.

16. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Ftfy :)

Actually, I believe Mike tried a few variations on this theme, depending on the generation of the cab. Not sure which models in which years.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  17. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Don't bother. The space tolerances are so tight inside this cab there isn't room for this sort of thing. Believe me - I tried. It was simpler to rebuild with wood and insert the old components for a more elegant result. The fiberglass concept was a terrific idea. The implementation was poor. It's an engineering challenge I'm sure can be surmounted, but may cost thousands of dollars per cab. Given the market size, it's not worth it.

BTW, same problems occurred with my fiberglass Crazy88 and Thunderchild 115. Fiberglass is a four letter word in my house.

monsterthompson likes this.
  18. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, shame... Well there's nothing stopping us making a custom One10 sized enclosure which can fit the 8PR200 and APT80 - I've modelled that woofer in the past and it works well in this volume.

19. Tricky Audio in the UK Erik, i have a crazy8 (wood) on order for small jazz gigs. tricky audio greenboy

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    monsterthompson likes this.
  20. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My One10 arrived last Wed but I only had one very brief opportunity to fire it up last night. The initial impression is exactly as advertised: shocking volume for a cab only slightly bigger than a shoe box. The roughly 15 lb 110 is about the same volume as my GB NX2-112 which weighs 35 lbs. The real cherry on the Sundae is that it projects real lows and handles the B with ease. I suspect I could play this with a quiet rock drummer in a small room , with 2 being enough for anything I would do. "Old school" tone for sure, with delicious paper cone breakup at louder volumes. Tax and duty to Montreal were $109 CDN. I will post pics and some more impressions when I get a chance.

jim nolte and monsterthompson like this.